• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman Platform Steps

HunterBob

So I'm considering a switch to a ROS for next season, which has my eyeing the Bullman platform steps. Who has used these and xsn give a review?

I picked up five of them last summer when they ran a sale on them. added three of them to the strap of my pursuit platform and loved them. Last couple of hunts I have swapped the pursuit platform for the other two steps and am not sure what I like better yet. The steps themselves are very stable and comfortable, they pack up pretty well and don't make any metallic noise, but they will thud against each other if you let them. The only other "steps" I've used were some homemade climbpaws I made out of 2" PVC, and the bullman's are lightyears ahead of that for stability and comfort.

I got a set. I like them. I like big trees, so I wish I had a 6th step.
Thanks for the reply. Have you tried anything else in comparison to these? Just curious how they match up to other options.

I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of bullmans too. For the guys that are using them how long are you hunting on them, 3-4 hours or full day hunts? How do your feet feel? I mostly do full day sits and hunt public.

I have used 6 bullman platform steps for 2 seasons now. I LOVE them. I use them solely for 99% of the season, all day sits included. I have also used them in conjunction with my cruzr seeker platform. I did have a step break on me, I'm not sure if user error or I stepped on the edge too hard, or a manufacturing defect, but it was replaced by bullman and on my doorstep in 2 days at no cost. Great responsive customer service. I highly recommend them to anybody looking.

I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of bullmans too. For the guys that are using them how long are you hunting on them, 3-4 hours or full day hunts? How do your feet feel? I mostly do full day sits and hunt public.

I haven't sat a full day on just the steps, I would want to have more than 5 steps for that though. I would want to place multiple steps between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock so I could rest my foot on two steps at a time if that's all I would be on from dark to dark. That said, I have done a few sits longer that around four-five hours and had no noticeable foot discomfort so I may be finding a solution for a problem that isn't there

How does everyone keep their steps from sliding around freely on their strap?
once seated they will move a little until they "catch" an edge of the bark or a profile that won't let them slide even with extreme side pressure. Any ring of steps does the same thing though.

Sorry guys. I have a set of these and understand - once set - they're solid.

I was fumbling around with them while getting the strap around the tree. They'd bang against each other and be twisting around enough that I felt I needed 4 hands to deal with the steps, the strap ends, and buckle all at once.

I was fumbling around with them while getting the strap around the tree. They'd bang against each other and be twisting around enough that I felt I needed 4 hands to deal with the steps, the strap ends, and buckle all at once.

I get it now, how do you keep them in place while your trying to set them. Right? I think I have seen guys use shock cord on the strap. I’m sure there are ways, that I wouldn’t mind learning as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Castration bands come to mind but I don't know if I like how that would distort the strap. I deploy mine while sitting in my saddle during the last move or two of my 2TC. I essentially set them in my lap with my knees into the tree and unwind them, typically I will keep the steps bunched together while getting the strap around the tree and hooked. The I keep tension on the strap with one hand while shifting the steps where I want them and then tighten the strap. It may be possible to use short pieces of tubular webbing over the strap and through the steps to snug them up enough on the strap so that they don't move as freely.

Castration bands come to mind but I don't know if I like how that would distort the strap. I deploy mine while sitting in my saddle during the last move or two of my 2TC. I essentially set them in my lap with my knees into the tree and unwind them, typically I will keep the steps bunched together while getting the strap around the tree and hooked. The I keep tension on the strap with one hand while shifting the steps where I want them and then tighten the strap. It may be possible to use short pieces of tubular webbing over the strap and through the steps to snug them up enough on the strap so that they don't move as freely.
Cool. Great description of your process. I won't sell them just yet!!!! LOL!

Cool. Great description of your process. I won't sell them just yet!!!! LOL!
Dang! Now I wish I wouldn't have started this thread! But please keep me in mind if you do decide to sell...

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes on the classifieds for a used set to try out.

Dang! Now I wish I wouldn't have started this thread! But please keep me in mind if you do decide to sell...

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes on the classifieds for a used set to try out.
All is not lost yet! What's your climbing method?

Currently use a predator and have never tried a ring of steps. As I've been researching and came across the Bullman platform steps, it would make sense to have those beveled edges that might be more comfortable to stand on.

Back