• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman step strap?

firehunter

Hey guys, I was thinking of adding two steps to go with my platform at 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the tree. My question is will a quick release buckle (OCB) get them tight enough for this purpose? I was thinking of trying it out with these steps. I would like to use squirrel steps but not in my budget as of now. Just hoping to avoid noisy ratchet straps if I can.

Anyone have any input on this? I’m sure someone has tried this before or similar setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with the bullman on an OCB, but I emailed bullman recently and asked them about an OCB for a ring of steps. They were very friendly, but said they had not experimented with an OCB yet on their steps. I'm sure someone here has tried it.

I never could get bullman steps tight enough for a ROS. I don't think they are a good option for a ROS.

I asked a similar question on this thread. Consensus was what was said above. OCB not quite tight enough for the side pressure exerted if using as a ROS platform. However, if using Bullman's for just climbing up; OCB was excellent. I have not tried mine just yet, so going on what I heard here.

I tried this method the other day, I used a ratchet strap and they weren't very stable. Don't handle side pressure very well. What has worked the best for me is to set my platform even with the top step of my climbing stick then you have plenty of footing to get around the tree.

Thanks guys! I guess I will wait till I can get other steps or find another option. Saved me from buying and having to sell them. Don't want to tie up what little budget I have.

I guess I'm the lone contrarian. I loved the OCB on my bullmans ROS last season. Used them all year no issues. I'm also not very heavy at 165. Plan on using squirrels ROS this year but would have no hesitation in pulling out the bulmans again.

I guess I'm the lone contrarian. I loved the OCB on my bullmans ROS last season. Used them all year no issues. I'm also not very heavy at 165. Plan on using squirrels ROS this year but would have no hesitation in pulling out the bulmans again.

Cool. I think I may be putting a bit more side pressure on them than you considering I am 280lbs. I got just a bit of weight on ya. Lol

I think the bullmans work great as a ROS. That's my primary platform. I'm a fluffy 220lbs and dont have a problem. The secret is when you think you them tight enough give it at least 2 more click on the ratchet strap. Makes all the difference in the world.

I tried this method the other day, I used a ratchet strap and they weren't very stable. Don't handle side pressure very well. What has worked the best for me is to set my platform even with the top step of my climbing stick then you have plenty of footing to get around the tree.
That is a fantastic idea, especially for someone like myself who isn't the most comfortable with heights, lol

Back