• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman steps

PaTrout1

Anyone on here use the Bullman steps to climb? I'm thinking about getting a few to start my climb so I can cut down on the amount of sticks I'm carrying. First those that use them, are they stable? Positives/negatives? Looking for some opinions

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ive had mine about 4 weeks and have 3 practice climbs in. So far so good. If you watch their youtube vids and follow the owner's tips they work great. you don't have to cinch them super tight so long as you push them down and keep them close together (horizontally). always step straight down onto them and keep your foot in close to the tree. im also using them as a ROS with a ocb from DanO that locks them down super solid. also the service i received from Bullman was top notch. my initially order was missing two steps, they fixed it no questions asked and sent me two extras on top which has made my ROS even better.

Last season they were all I used. They have to be used just like in the videos on their website. They do not handle side pressure at all. If used according to directions they are very stable. They are not as fast as sticks but much lighter.

Last season they were all I used. They have to be used just like in the videos on their website. They do not handle side pressure at all. If used according to directions they are very stable. They are not as fast as sticks but much lighter.
I'm thinking if I could use them for, say, my first six feet I could lose 2 sticks

I am a size 11 boot and it's plenty wide enough. Because you step on top of the step using the arch of your foot vs. on a climbing stick you are using more of the toes and front part of the foot; I feel like it's actually a little more solid on these steps.

What am I missing with these steps, I bought the two pack to use as footrests/step around the tree. I've tightened the piss out of the straps and even used an old tree strap from a safety harness, no matter what, they roll over if I step on the sides.
I do not see anyway the strap will keep them in place, I may have to screw in some...sheet metal type screws like cleats to keep them gripping right into the tree. Worst case, I just get two cranford steps.

What am I missing with these steps, I bought the two pack to use as footrests/step around the tree. I've tightened the piss out of the straps and even used an old tree strap from a safety harness, no matter what, they roll over if I step on the sides.
I do not see anyway the strap will keep them in place, I may have to screw in some...sheet metal type screws like cleats to keep them gripping right into the tree. Worst case, I just get two cranford steps.
the straps that come in the two pack are for climbing and won't get tight enough to handle the side pressure of stepping around the tree. i got an ocb strap/buckle combo from DanO and it works great. they're rock solid now.

the straps that come in the two pack are for climbing and won't get tight enough to handle the side pressure of stepping around the tree. i got an ocb strap/buckle combo from DanO and it works great. they're rock solid now.

^ that x 2! Rock solid with OCBs. And I weigh 205 for reference.

Have you tried an ocb?

It appears I bought the wrong steps, I have not seen these ocb things, I’ll have to check them. I’m trying to avoid screw in steps, not due to restrictions, just don’t want to fight screw in steps.
First season in the saddle, still working out the kinks.

Looking at them, I’d probably still be in the same boat in regards to side pressure, correct?
The ocb really tightens things down (you could use the strap on bullman). And straps above the step hold more securely than straps below - so the squirrels are probably more secure by design.

I gotcha, I think I’ll use the bull man steps as an extra first step to get me a few feet higher (like an aided) before putting my sticks up. I keep my top stick to the left of my platform, that helps to swing around the tree. Maybe one screw in step to the right as a footrest while I’m lounging.
mom really enjoying this saddle thing, I can see where “saddle shape” is a real thing, still a little sore in some spots from opening weekend.

I gotcha, I think I’ll use the bull man steps as an extra first step to get me a few feet higher (like an aided) before putting my sticks up. I keep my top stick to the left of my platform, that helps to swing around the tree. Maybe one screw in step to the right as a footrest while I’m lounging.
mom really enjoying this saddle thing, I can see where “saddle shape” is a real thing, still a little sore in some spots from opening weekend.
That's what I plan on doing with the Ameristeps I bought. I figure with 6 of them I can probably eliminate a stick or 2. I plan on using the steps first so if they wobble or anything I wont be too high off the ground. My Heiums will be the top climbers (they're rock solid).

Back