• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

BUSTED!!

nhrugga

Somehow I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. I was a complete dub last year and before, then I found SH.com. I never saw much, never got anything in my sights etc.. This year on my second sit I had a beautiful doe in my sights for ten minutes. She didn't want to show me her side, the little skipper with her spooked and bolted while she hung out for a while then casually stepped straight ahead into the brush and out of range showing me the reason they are called white tails. Today I was dressing, packing up and realized my gear hanger was nowhere to be found...auughh! It took an extra 45 minutes to create a new one out of 550 cord and found some old hooks that I taped up and sprayed down with scent kill. Got to my new spot, parked, cocked the crossbow, played the wind, eased into through the wall of thorns and slid up next to the tree I had mapped out (going in blind to a new spot with last minute permission). I had everything ready to go and pulled the arrow out, clipped my Xbow to my lanyard, was just about to wrap my linemans belt and I heard him... all eight (plus) points..that same one that was at the side of the road laughing at me as the season ended last year and prior to having permission to get anywhere near him...he never smelled me, I played the fiercest game of statue I had ever played..didn't really know what to do at this point..I didn't want to terrorize him so I just stood there. He jumped like he was spooked about three times and then meandered off upwind but not at a great pace. Someone give me some analysis please..did I blow out the spot? Was he just challenging me..I'm a bit miffed at this one. I have seen him a bunch of times..I feel like he is my future buck success story. Sooo busted ....

If he didn't bust out of there he probably did not know what you were. I wouldn't give up on that spot. Stick with it
I agree with Apex7. He was alerted to something different but he didn’t know what are exactly where. I’d let the area cool off a couple days and continue to play the wind as best I could. Good Luck with this buck.
Thanks..that's about what I was thinking. I saw him again this morning on my drive into work (02:15am)...he was mulling around the trees on the opposite side of the road. I have to get in there before November 13th though...before the guns come out anyways. I 'm still blind and using old satellite pics on top of current ones to figure out his routes having not had the opportunity to scout this property. Come January though I am going to learn every inch of the 90 plus acres.

Back