• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam cleat on LWCG

justwcc

I have a LWCG double stick that I am trying to add a cam cleat to for single sticking. I can not figure how to attach the cleat to the stick. If anyone else has done this I would love to know how. Thanks

That sounds like a bad idea. The cam cleat won’t hold that stick tight enough. Add an aider to the mix. Kickout city!!!

What's the benefit of one sticking on a LWCG double? Mates to LWCG platform?

I know there were people wanting to one stick with a Tethrd ONE stick, a TN C1, Shikar mini. Idk, this is one piece of hunting gear where I'd prioritize a lot over smallest and lightest.

LWCG double isn't smallest or lightest, so I guess I'm wondering, what's the angle. Just what you got?

I just find the Lwcg double more comfortable to stand on (compared to the hawk helium I had previously), and I am considering the new Lwcg fix platform. Weight is not really an issue I’m worried about. I’d rather be slightly heavier and more comfortable and efficient on the climb than save a few oz. In the pack. If I can figure out how the cam cleat can be attached I know from experience that it will hold the stick tighter than the daisy chain or Whoopie sling that I had been using to one stick. It is just easier to climb with the cam cleat. From my limited experience with mostly pine and a few oaks I haven’t had any kick out with this stick while climbing up even with my 3step Amsteel aider. The same can not be said for descent on the harder oaks with the daisy chain or whoopie. Though this is really not a problem as repelling keeps me from having to climb down.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the cam cleat hold this stick as tight as any other?Just asking
This^^^

The pic looks like a big ole cam cleat with a full buried piece of amsteel stuck in their…..looks just like my helium 2step stick and I haven’t had a kick out yet.

Why wouldn't the cam cleat hold this stick as tight as any other?Just asking

The LWCG doubles are the sketchiest sticks I have used. Tried every attachment method and unless I was using cam straps I was getting kickouts. There is more pull down to set a cam cleat than the cam strap. The bottom of the stick isn’t going bite in and it’s gonna move easily. Adding an aider to the stick will increase the leverage almost guaranteeing a stability problem.

The LWCG doubles are the sketchiest sticks I have used. Tried every attachment method and unless I was using cam straps I was getting kickouts. There is more pull down to set a cam cleat than the cam strap. The bottom of the stick isn’t going bite in and it’s gonna move easily. Adding an aider to the stick will increase the leverage almost guaranteeing a stability problem.
I had the same experience with the doubles. Everything I tried.. would always see the stick pulling away from the tree. My dad had a set aswell.. had his last stick kick out and bruised him up good. I hated climbing in the dark with them and feeling the stick moving and pulling away from tree.. sketchy stuff

Last edited:
I had the same experience with the doubles. Everything I tried.. would always see the stick pulling away from the tree. My dad had a set aswell.. had his last stick kick out and bruised him up good. I hated climbing in the dark with them and feeling the stick moving and pulling away from tree.. sketchy stuff
I’ve had the opposite experience with the double sticks using Amsteel daisy chains and a truckers hitch. I’ve been able to get them really tight to the tree definitely more so than their single step sticks.

I’ve had the opposite experience with the double sticks using Amsteel daisy chains and a truckers hitch. I’ve been able to get them really tight to the tree definitely more so than their single step sticks.

Truckers hitch can be pulled tighter than a cam strap I use that method with my mini beasts. These will perform like crap with a cam cleat.

But some people need to experience that blood loss themselves to learn…

Glad your experience is good with them. Have any issues on funky trees? I felt if the tree wasn’t a telephone pole.. they were sketchy. Made me feel like I was hunting trees instead of the deer.

Glad your experience is good with them. Have any issues on funky trees? I felt if the tree wasn’t a telephone pole.. they were sketchy. Made me feel like I was hunting trees instead of the deer.
I haven’t used them on many funky trees. I can see how they would be an issue there. The areas I hunt, I can usually find pretty straight trees with cover or branches to break up my outline at hunting height.

So what if the standoffs were replaced? The bottom ones look like a bolt so maybe that’s not an option? I like the wide looking steps but I bet they are a pain to carry.

People may be getting mixed messages about the stability of these sticks based on some of the comments above. Below are my experiences:

The LWCG double step sticks perform “reasonably well” when there is little to no slack or sag in the attachment rope or webbing. This includes the stock cam strap, Amsteel daisy chain with a truckers hitch, and using the buckles method and LWCG’s 3/4” bucklestraps.

They have stability issues when there is any sag: Amsteel daisy chains using the loops, versa links using the loops in the links, or buckleless using a rope.

While I have not attempted to do so, I would predict the cam cleat would be problematic since it inherently induces sag in the attachment rope.

When I say sag, there is some “looseness” in the attachment rope of webbing which results in the stick shifting slightly in the process of setting it. (They work best when they are “clamped” onto the tree vs “set” into the tree like most other sticks)

I haven’t used them on many funky trees. I can see how they would be an issue there. The areas I hunt, I can usually find pretty straight trees with cover or branches to break up my outline at hunting height.
Yeah it could just be where I hunt. I also don't care for one sticking that everyone seems to love.. hunting trees instead of deer with it too lol

Back