• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam Cleat

kodiak3842

So, after watching some videos on one stick climbing, I want to give it a go. It appears the cam cleat is a necessity. I have one ordered and am going to make a dedicated stick just for one stick climbing.

My question is this. How do you attach the rope to the stick? I am going to use 1" square tube for the stick. Pics are always a plus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So, after watching some videos on one stick climbing, I want to give it a go. It appears the cam cleat is a necessity. I have one ordered and am going to make a dedicated stick just for one stick climbing.

My question is this. How do you attach the rope to the stick? I am going to use 1" square tube for the stick. Pics are always a plus.

drill a hole, feed the rope, and tie a stopper knot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do you drill thru both walls of the tube, or only one, leaving the stopper knot inside the tube?

I just tied it around the stick below the cam cleat. I then install a ziptie just to keep it from sliding down the stick due to gravity when I'm using it. Used it like this all year with no wear. For the record, I do inspect it regularly for any evidence of wear.

20180729_194935_resized_1.jpg

I just drilled a hole all the way through the stick and tied a stopper knot like bassboy said. I then added electrical tape on the section that runs from the drilled holes for good measure.

I just tied it around the stick below the cam cleat. I then install a ziptie just to keep it from sliding down the stick due to gravity when I'm using it. Used it like this all year with no wear. For the record, I do inspect it regularly for any evidence of wear.

View attachment 11126
Thanks! It was your video in particular tha inspired me to try this method of climbing

I did a spliced amsteel loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a spliced amsteel loop.

How does the amsteel hold in a the cam cleat I’m thinking of switching my diy versa button for them

I used amsteel in a cam cleat on a previous project platform but reconsidered it after @redsquirrel pointed out that there's not a lot of difference between the the kink a knot makes and the bite of the cam cleat. I did notice discoloration of the amsteel where the cleat was grabbing. In the end I figured there wasn't much difference between the 8mm accessory cord and 1/4" amsteel I was using for the application and I swapped to the cordage. Better safe than to find out the hard way the amsteel and the cleat don't get along.

I used 1/4" amsteel all year, last year no issues it held tight. I check the line and let you guys know if I see anything unusual.

I used sterling 7mm rope for my cam cleat on an api stick. Works great and holds tight. Not much bigger than amsteel, no worries about abrasion, and easy to throw around a tree

I ended up buying 6mm accessory cord because when I checked the cam cleat that I'd already bought only went up to 1/4 , the cords rated to 12kn . Should that set up be safe?I know on paper it looks ok

Back