• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy Pro Stick Rope replacement

Exhumis

SH Member
I am satisfied with the muddy pro stick but wanted a longer rope as some of the trees where I hunt are Paul Bunyan sized in girth. Research revealed the rope to be either 8 or 9mm. I called Muddy, they weren't sure either but said 8 or 9 would work. I asked about the glue used to secure the knot and if gorilla glue epoxy would work and they said it should, so I got right to work. 9 feet of 9mm Sterling HTP static was sourced from R&W rope. I just took apart the original rope, knotted the new, slathered it with epoxy and fed it through. I feeds just as well as the original and the cleat bites just as good. 9 feet may be excessive but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-184116.png
    Screenshot_20190327-184116.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot_20190327-184103.png
    Screenshot_20190327-184103.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 303
Nice. Did you glue the rope to itself in the knot, the knot to the stick, both?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Both. I glued the knot together as I tied it, putting tension on it so it would hold together as it was drying. Once the glue was dry I scuffed the inside wall of the hole and the exterior of the stick where the knot touches and put epoxy on the knot and pulled the rope taut so the knot would make contact with the inside wall of the hole. I also then slathered epoxy around the circumference of the hole where the knot made contact. If that knot moves it's meant to be.

Do you know when your sticks were made? Just got some newer ones and the cam is not what i remember from an older stick i used to have. Basically requires a half hitch to prevent sliding through the cam.

So when you put the two ropes together are they essentially the same size or is the HTP a little beefier? I'm looking to do this as well and maybe going to a slightly beefier rope for a better bite from the cam.

Do you know when your sticks were made? Just got some newer ones and the cam is not what i remember from an older stick i used to have. Basically requires a half hitch to prevent sliding through the cam.

So when you put the two ropes together are they essentially the same size or is the HTP a little beefier? I'm looking to do this as well and maybe going to a slightly beefier rope for a better bite from the cam.
I have a knee set of muddys and one older. I think the cams are def different. The ropes kinda look different color pattern wise. Set make sure your rope is static. I’m still on the fence about selling mine but muddy has a safe line you can buy that is the exact same rope on the sticks. There should be a link in this thread to that specific rope.

I am satisfied with the muddy pro stick but wanted a longer rope as some of the trees where I hunt are Paul Bunyan sized in girth. Research revealed the rope to be either 8 or 9mm. I called Muddy, they weren't sure either but said 8 or 9 would work. I asked about the glue used to secure the knot and if gorilla glue epoxy would work and they said it should, so I got right to work. 9 feet of 9mm Sterling HTP static was sourced from R&W rope. I just took apart the original rope, knotted the new, slathered it with epoxy and fed it through. I feeds just as well as the original and the cleat bites just as good. 9 feet may be excessive but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

How did you remove the original rope?

Back