• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Camera location

CamoMan

How often are you guys moving your trail cameras? Also, what are good locations you like to hang them? Scape lines? Near rubs? Heavily traveled trails?

I have 3 trees that always have a camera on them. The most productive spots in the farm I hunt. 1 is in a staging area between 2 large corn field where the tractors can enter the next field. The other 2 are on or just off the creek where they usually cross. Other cams I try different spots to try to pattern these deer that I get on my main cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am down to running all mine in the fall over community scrapes. I want to learn from that hunting season data over time. These are annual scrapes that are there every year, on heavily traveled corridors, within or just outside bedding areas. I hunt low density big woods, so if there is an area with some sign I am unsure about, I'll hang a camera and just let it go through the season and see how it worked. Found a couple new areas like that last year. I put the first 3 out yesterday and have 3 more to get out.

No set time but I like to leave them soak at least 6 weeks. I'll change cards during the season as I hunt those areas, then pull most of the cameras for rifle season to avoid theft, then I'll put some back out after to try to find survivors. These are all areas I hunt or plan to hunt so I really want to minimize intrusion.

I ran summer cameras for a couple years and just wasn't getting any info of value in comparison to the cameras I was losing to weather and bears.

Last edited:
On the public in NW PA it's all about the big trails and community scrapes. You don't get a lot but if you're back enough you get the bigguns. I set them out in late June and won't pull them until the day before I climb the tree near them in late October.

The private I hunt near home we run them year round on the travel routes from bedding to neighboring fields. The rut is spectacular on that piece so we're looking for the does to bring the bros.

I
How often are you guys moving your trail cameras? Also, what are good locations you like to hang them? Scape lines? Near rubs? Heavily traveled trails?
I hunt public land and I set my cameras on trails up about 15' in the trees. I also set them on rub lines. I will leave them up till late season.

Back