• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Camper Shell build

Hardly_Hangin

The goal is to truck camp this season to extend my hunting radius and hopefully explore some new turf - still got loads of work to do but it's a fun project.

First pic is the camper shell as-bought on my truck. Second pic is after sanding/priming, getting ready for paint today. I thought about having it professionally done, but one guy told me they didn't do camper shells and one quoted me $1200....... so I'm gunna rattle-can it. Will post follow up pics at different stages.

The plan is get the outside painted, then to line the inside with carpet material. I've built the bed rack and a drawer to go inside, will post follow up pics.

Attachments

• Resized_20200714_185313.jpeg
    Resized_20200714_185313.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Resized_20200722_174123.jpeg
    Resized_20200722_174123.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 193
The goal is to truck camp this season to extend my hunting radius and hopefully explore some new turf - still got loads of work to do but it's a fun project.

First pic is the camper shell as-bought on my truck. Second pic is after sanding/priming, getting ready for paint today. I thought about having it professionally done, but one guy told me they didn't do camper shells and one quoted me $1200....... so I'm gunna rattle-can it. Will post follow up pics at different stages.

The plan is get the outside painted, then to line the inside with carpet material. I've built the bed rack and a drawer to go inside, will post follow up pics.
Aww man I really liked the different colors! What color are you gonna paint it?

I’m starting this project too! Where are we going to park and camp? Just pull off logging trails or something? We probably can’t even have a Campfire if it’s not an approved camp site I assume.

What are you doing for a bed/cot? Building with wood or buying a cot? @DaveT1963 posted a cool mattress on his Youtube channel that folds into a chair but it was too pricey for me.

There’s a trifold memory foam 4” thick mattress on Amazon for 100.00. Goes in backseat of truck till I’m ready to sleep. I don’t build out the bed, too much hassle. Throw mattress in on a piece of carpet when it’s time to sleep, sleeping bag or blanket on top of that. Fitted sheet was five bucks for mattress.
Keep gear inside with me that can’t get wet. Or in cab. Everything else on the ground. Buddy heater if it’s below 30, or I need to dry clothes out. Less is more

If you want to be able to close the bed on a short box, you can cut the two ends of the mattress in diamond shape, and run it kitty corner in the bed. I have the intention of cutting mine, just havent got around to doing it yet. The only thing I'd do to build out is either buy the false floor sliding drawers, or build a set. Other than that, it makes no sense to put anything in the bed with you that doesn't serve a function other than taking up space.

Aww man I really liked the different colors! What color are you gonna paint it?

Right now gloss/semi-gloss black (factory match green was wayyyyyy to expensive), but if it doesn't turn out good I'll probably use spray on truck bed liner

There’s a trifold memory foam 4” thick mattress on Amazon for 100.00. Goes in backseat of truck till I’m ready to sleep. I don’t build out the bed, too much hassle. Throw mattress in on a piece of carpet when it’s time to sleep, sleeping bag or blanket on top of that. Fitted sheet was five bucks for mattress.
Keep gear inside with me that can’t get wet. Or in cab. Everything else on the ground. Buddy heater if it’s below 30, or I need to dry clothes out. Less is more

Definitely leaning towards the tri-fold mattress, thanks for the link!

When I say "built bed frame" all I did was cut 2x4's that slide into the existing cuts in the bed, then use a 3/4" thick piece of plywood to set the mattress on.

I wanted some storage underneath, but didn't want to over complicate it - plus the way I have it, I can assemble/disassemble in seconds just pulling the pieces of wood out.

I did carpet the plywood though to protect the integrity of the mattress.

I’m starting this project too! Where are we going to park and camp? Just pull off logging trails or something? We probably can’t even have a Campfire if it’s not an approved camp site I assume.

What are you doing for a bed/cot? Building with wood or buying a cot? @DaveT1963 posted a cool mattress on his Youtube channel that folds into a chair but it was too pricey for me.

Most of mine (I'm assuming) will be on WMA's or forest service roads on NF, I can either pull off the road or find a "primitive campsite" to park.

I plan on using a cooking stove for food, so fire is going to be a luxury where legal.

I rock a dark gray camper on a white truck. I actually like how annoying it is to friends and family. Do I look like a paw paw? yup. Do I care? Nope. In fact, it's fun. Life's too short to worry about things like that.

I hear ya. Main reason I'm painting is because I took the windows out to carpet line, then figured if I was goint to paint now was the time. Plus, my girlfriend wanted to contribute somehow so she's in charge of paint (even though I've done everything, just one of those give her credit anyway deals)

I hear ya. Main reason I'm painting is because I took the windows out to carpet line, then figured if I was goint to paint now was the time. Plus, my girlfriend wanted to contribute somehow so she's in charge of paint (even though I've done everything, just one of those give her credit anyway deals)

girlfriend credit is definitely worth painting a camper top. Smart man

head room is of utmost importance in a camper shell setup. Wishin I had bought one of those tall shells....so I dont care for designs with the raised bed racks. 8' truck beds are also a +

Heres my setup. Storage built on sides, with a Semi truck mattress on some carpeted boards in the middle. Have a deep cycle battery and 1200 watt inverter for power. Smart isolator uses truck's alternator to keep deep cycle charged up. With the truck off I can power 12 volt fans, lights and charge stuff. With the truck running I can run power tools, coffee maker, foreman etc.
For when you get into powering things
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTAFR84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G36Z2TH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1595536858355.png1595537130993.png

Last edited:
head room is of utmost importance in a camper shell setup. Wishin I had bought one of those tall shells....so I dont care for designs with the raised bed racks. 8' truck beds are also a +

Heres my setup. Storage built on sides, with a Semi truck mattress on some carpeted boards in the middle. Have a deep cycle battery and 1200 watt inverter for power. Smart isolator uses truck's alternator to keep deep cycle charged up. With the truck off I can power 12 volt fans, lights and charge stuff. With the truck running I can run power tools, coffee maker, foreman etc.
For when you get into powering things
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTAFR84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G36Z2TH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 30755View attachment 30757
Friggin sweet! I dont want to post any more pictures now this takes the cake.

Electrical is not my thing so all the bells and whistles would be future add ons

Nice!!! I been wanting to do this. I’d make a top and bottom section. Bottom for icechest. Top for bed. Bottom on wheels somehow to be able to pull out.

Friggin sweet! I dont want to post any more pictures now this takes the cake.

Electrical is not my thing so all the bells and whistles would be future add ons
yeah Think I built the boxes 5 years ago. Orginally just had a coleman cot in there....but the squeaking and headroom drove me to find a truckers mattress that fit 3 years later. Though ive had a battery and led lights, I used to take the battery out and put it on a regular charger....which gets old. So the isolator and inverter were last years additions. Just posting to give you ideas for you to build on is all. keep posting your progress

Last edited:
Nice!!! I been wanting to do this. I’d make a top and bottom section. Bottom for icechest. Top for bed. Bottom on wheels somehow to be able to pull out.
my original design was based on that idea...the boards that the mattress is on, locks onto the little lip at the top of those boxes. Its like sleeping in a coffin though...you cant sit up.
For coolers, deer, bikes i put a cargo hauler on a front hitch. You can get a bolt on front hitch from etrailer for just about any vehicle...think it cost me 60-80 bucks? 20 minute install
IMG_1774.jpg

Back