• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Campsite 50 Amp Electrical Service - I need a converter, help

elk yinzer

SH Member
I want to be able to camp in the back of my truck with developed electric campsites and need help finding the correct converter(s). I intend to run a garden-variety electric space heater to take the chill off when I sleep in the back of my truck. As well as charge my phone. Getting a little softer about my sleeping conditions than when I was a younger man.

I don't very well understand the voodoo magic that is electricity and I'd rather not burn my truck down, or worse.

If I run a simple 50A to 15/20A converter, will that power my space heater and charge my phone without blowing anything up?
(like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rophor-Adapt...9e8-96eb-f62d99789141&pd_rd_i=B08NXHHCKG&th=1)

Or do I need one with a circuit breaker, like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marinco-...-ynlBJfWyDps8Bnd1EoaAmMmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or something else?

Amperage is how strong the current is- or in other words, how much load/how many devices can be plugged in to the same circuit without overloading it. So as long as the outlet is a higher amperage than the draw/load of what's plugged into it, you're good. Running a space heater on 50A is just as safe (maybe technically safer) as running it on 20A, the device itself will draw whatever amperage it needs to function. All you need is an adapter plug (IF the circuit is 110V).

Back