• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can/do you walk in with your saddle?

MattMan81

SH Member
So far my biggest concern has been I can't walk 10 feet with my Kestrel on or it will be on the ground. So far i found if I wrap my bridge around my neck it holds it up. But not sure if I would want to walk a long ways with that. I am sure the phantom or other mesh style saddles are lighter. But is it enough?
Any pair of pants I have needs a tight belt or suspensors or they will not stay up. I have to use bibs or my pants fall down when hunting. I could go get some cosmetic surgery and have some roundness added back there. But I'm to cheap.
So is this just the nature of all saddles? I'm not convinced even the phantom would stay up. Do you guys pack them in? Or can you wear it? I have no problem packing it if am gonna be walking a long distance and then setting up. But most local spots and my primary hunting area is going to be no more than 800 yards of walking.
What's going on with you guys?

I had the mantis and could not for the life of me walk 10 feet without it falling down...especially if I had any pouches on it. I then got an industrial tool belt suspenders that were elastic and problem solved. I hated having the rope around my shoulders...didn't like the feel of the rope. I sold the mantis and got the flex and will not go anywhere without my suspenders. It does not get in my way at all and is quite comfortable.

So far my biggest concern has been I can't walk 10 feet with my Kestrel on or it will be on the ground. So far i found if I wrap my bridge around my neck it holds it up. But not sure if I would want to walk a long ways with that. I am sure the phantom or other mesh style saddles are lighter. But is it enough?
Any pair of pants I have needs a tight belt or suspensors or they will not stay up. I have to use bibs or my pants fall down when hunting. I could go get some cosmetic surgery and have some roundness added back there. But I'm to cheap.
So is this just the nature of all saddles? I'm not convinced even the phantom would stay up. Do you guys pack them in? Or can you wear it? I have no problem packing it if am gonna be walking a long distance and then setting up. But most local spots and my primary hunting area is going to be no more than 800 yards of walking.
What's going on with you guys?
It depends on which saddle I am hunting out of, but most of the time I do wear it in! You can always add a belt to your saddle and that would help alot!

Yep. Never had an issue with the Mantis or Phantom or the Kestrel for that matter. I don’t carry a ton of gear on my saddle either tho. That may make the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I do not wear my saddle in. I use a E-bike with saddlebags to get where I hunt.

I put mine on at the parking spot and wear it in with just the belt to hold it up - no problems. I reckon your waist and having hips/butt to hold it up plays a factor.

My old Trophyline had suspenders and they didn’t get in the way. Like the guys said above, put some heavy duty suspenders on that sucker and you should be good to go.

I have no problem at all walking in with the kestrel flex and I walk in with my predator platform clipped to a vault clip, 2 DanO fleece pouches with back band, HYS strap and hero clips, tether clipped to a d-loop, and lineman’s belt in the other pouch. I usually throw my adjustable bridge over my neck but don’t really need to. I’ve never had a problem with pants falling down either though.

cff7aa22bbb9a6d8dbf78c9e043bcf3c.jpg

I added suspenders. Same issue as yours. On my hike ins that are longer then 2.5 miles I attach it to my bag. Trying to avoid body sweat being absorbed

I walk in saddle on
Kestrel flex
Platform and sticks on bag
Ready to stick em

I used a Mantis with a SYS hauler with lineman’s belt/ropeman 1 and pull up rope and then SYS ES with tether/ropeman 1 and HYS strap on the other side and I never had an issue of it falling down. I would walk anywhere from a couple hundred yards to 6 miles as my longest. I would attach waist belt and then leg loops to waist belt then wrap bridge 2-3 times around waist belt cinching tight.

I walk with my aerohunter kite on everytime, i carry my WE perch w/step attached and a pouch with my tether/bridge.
You should check out a pair of heavy duty suspenders!

Suspenders is the way to go. I got some tool belt suspenders from Lowe's and wouldn't want to miss them anymore. Not only do they keep the saddle in place while walking, it puts and keeps the saddle at the exact perfect place to climb and sit when I get to the tree.

I always wear mine in. I had the Mantis but ordered the phantom. I never had trouble with it. In fact, it was one of my most favorite things about the mantis. If it started to slip I would wrap my linemans belt around my shoulders/back to act like suspenders.

Here I thought I was gonna save some money saddle hunting.ROFL. Hey Google. Add suspensors to my hunting list..

I don’t want to sound mean. I think it has to do with waist size. I have a 32-33 waist. I have always walked in wearing my saddle. Saddles I have worn in are kestrel, kite, flex, mantis and H2. Always with 2 pouches full of various crap.

Never really cared to walk in wearing one - especially if I had to wear a pack. 99% of the time I pack it in and put it on at the tree.

I just tighten the belt real good

No problem walking several miles & I have sys haulers loaded with tether, LB, 4 step aider, Ropeman1’s, multiple biners

Never cared for pouches on my saddle because i like to wear mine in.But i started playing with some suspenders on my Kestrel with a couple of pouches and no backpack.Didnt mind the pouches with the weight on the suspenders.

Back