• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can Heavy arrows cause limb damage?

MattMan81

SH Member
So after a conversation at work with someone whom I work with, and in general is the kinda guy who is never wrong, and knows everything.... We were talking about my limbs splintering. He made a statement that the heavy arrows could have damaged it. I personally cant see that, as the bow is just a spring. A Heavy arrow would be letting it down slower which in turns should do less damage. Other than it seems to be an issue with BT. So my question would be am I right? If not why? What's the reason?
If your limbs have failed, were you shooting heavy or normal?

You are absolutely correct @MattMan81, a heavier arrow absorbs more of the bow’s stored or “potential” energy resulting in a quieter overall bow, a more efficient bow and arrow as less of the bow’s potential energy is lost due to friction and goes directly to the arrow. The lighter the arrow , the more the bows’ stored energy is lost or “wasted” resulting in that stored energy having to dissipate throughout the limbs, riser, cams, strings, cables, arrow rest, sight, etc.

In other words, that energy has to go somewhere, if the arrow is so light only X amount of the bows stored energy will be needed to“push” the arrow toward the target so the remaining energytransfers to the bow itself instead of the arrow. As arrow weight increases more of the push is transferred to that arrow.

Theoretically, the efficiency of the bow machine increases as arrow weight increases until essentially the arrow can no longer be propelled at all. The magnitude of the efficiency does start to diminish however as no machine is 100% effective at transferring all of its energy to the projectile due to friction.

All of this is to say, the limbs of your bow and any bow for that matter are always more at risk of damage or failure when they are forced to absorb more of their own energy than imparting it into the movement of the arrow. As the arrow lightens, the limbs are having to absorb the energy that should have gone to the arrow. I hope
My rambling makes sense!!

You are absolutely correct @MattMan81, a heavier arrow absorbs more of the bow’s stored or “potential” energy resulting in a quieter overall bow, a more efficient bow and arrow as less of the bow’s potential energy is lost due to friction and goes directly to the arrow. The lighter the arrow , the more the bows’ stored energy is lost or “wasted” resulting in that stored energy having to dissipate throughout the limbs, riser, cams, strings, cables, arrow rest, sight, etc.

In other words, that energy has to go somewhere, if the arrow is so light only X amount of the bows stored energy will be needed to“push” the arrow toward the target so the remaining energytransfers to the bow itself instead of the arrow. As arrow weight increases more of the push is transferred to that arrow.

Theoretically, the efficiency of the bow machine increases as arrow weight increases until essentially the arrow can no longer be propelled at all. The magnitude of the efficiency does start to diminish however as no machine is 100% effective at transferring all of its energy to the projectile due to friction.

All of this is to say, the limbs of your bow and any bow for that matter are always more at risk of damage or failure when they are forced to absorb more of their own energy than imparting it into the movement of the arrow. As the arrow lightens, the limbs are having to absorb the energy that should have gone to the arrow. I hope
My rambling makes sense!!
Agree. I think you summer it up. Glad I wasen't missing something.

Was it a Bowtech?

Because of my tendons in my right arm from drawing with my fingers, I'm thinking I'll get another compound at some point. Talked to a bow shop owner two days ago. Bowtechs have had issues, but not the newer models. Mathews has come back a few times recently. Hoyt, maybe two in 20 years.

Was it a Bowtech?

Because of my tendons in my right arm from drawing with my fingers, I'm thinking I'll get another compound at some point. Talked to a bow shop owner two days ago. Bowtechs have had issues, but not the newer models. Mathews has come back a few times recently. Hoyt, maybe two in 20 years.
Yeah. A bowtech. 2017 or 18. So not that old.

Was it a Bowtech?

Bowtech had assorted limb issues over the years and flex guards. Haven’t seen anything recent though.

Mathews had some issues with those big cam bearings letting go.

Hoyt fubarred their cam design when changing over to the binary.

PSEs had issues many years ago. Haven’t heard any issues in years though besides the mods slipping on on some cams a few years ago before the evolve style cams.

Elite I think they are a pain in butt. Going between draw lengths usually requires a whole new tune. Last elite I had I backed the draw weight down and doing that eliminated all valley what so ever.

The others…. I am surprised they are still in business…..

Bowtech had assorted limb issues over the years and flex guards. Haven’t seen anything recent though.

PSEs had issues many years ago. Haven’t heard any issues in years though besides the mods slipping on on some cams a few years ago before the evolve style cams.

Elite I think they are a pain in butt. Going between draw lengths usually requires a whole new tune. Last elite I had I backed the draw weight down and doing that eliminated all valley what so ever.

Good info, curious what you're shooting and what brand (s) you would consider if buying new

Just the opposite stated from the dealer. The binary is staying and although requires shims, pretty precise.

Just the opposite stated from the dealer. The binary is staying and although requires shims, pretty precise.

The Hoyt? They couldn’t get the limb balance right. Some had to be shimmed to the point the cables rubbed. This year they widened the distance between cam tracks to compensate.

The Hoyt? They couldn’t get the limb balance right. Some had to be shimmed to the point the cables rubbed. This year they widened the distance between cam tracks to compensate.

I'll look in to that. Thanks.

Back