• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can we start a keystone cops thread?

Flee

I think a thread containing our follies would be informative and hilarious. Maybe call it saddle follies.

Lesson of the day:
Don’t drop your 5 step aider while 15 ft up a tree.

I was just practicing again in the yard and I dropped my aider while making my way back down and it was just about dark. Good times. If I wasn’t half monkey I’d have been screwed. I have a long tether so I sort of half ass repelled down it while unattached to the second WE step and left the tether up there. Then I used the last couple feet of tether to hang on with one arm and then grab the last step at my feet and then hang on the last step with both hands and drop another couple feet.
I’m a midget so when I start out I put a step a couple feet high and and then hang my next step over my head so it’s about 7 ft high which I then attach my aider to. Then I take off the first step that I only used as an extra reach become the second step. So another words that last step down is a doozy due to the height. Moral of the story is get plenty of practice with new ideas. In a way I’m glad it happened.

dont' let go of your gear pull up line unless you are sure it is connected... I usually hook bow up first then hook pack. Last week I let go of my bow thinking it was connected to the pack while I held the pack in my hand, I watch my bow crash to the ground... Lucky no damage to the bow. I will now carry two lines; one for pack and one for bow and let them down separately.

Yes, couple days ago I was tying my daypack to my cord around the tree, and dropped it to the ground 20 feet. Nice, I'm right beside bedding area where my trail cam has picked up five different bug bucks. Have seen hardly any deer since.

I think a thread containing our follies would be informative and hilarious. Maybe call it saddle follies.

Lesson of the day:
Don’t drop your 5 step aider while 15 ft up a tree.

I was just practicing again in the yard and I dropped my aider while making my way back down and it was just about dark. Good times. If I wasn’t half monkey I’d have been screwed. I have a long tether so I sort of half ass repelled down it while unattached to the second WE step and left the tether up there. Then I used the last couple feet of tether to hang on with one arm and then grab the last step at my feet and then hang on the last step with both hands and drop another couple feet.
I’m a midget so when I start out I put a step a couple feet high and and then hang my next step over my head so it’s about 7 ft high which I then attach my aider to. Then I take off the first step that I only used as an extra reach become the second step. So another words that last step down is a doozy due to the height. Moral of the story is get plenty of practice with new ideas. In a way I’m glad it happened.
Check out Scott Hesterlys YouTube video on "climbing with sticks and a cayg aider"!!! That bungee on the biner makes dropping your aider while climbing nearly impossible!! 'course, a backup aider/tree step in the pack might help also!!

My first warm-up hunt this season
1) my pullup line snagged climbing up. So i git set up then went back down to unsnag.
2) I then climbed back up and dropped it again
3) 3rd time's the charm I guess.

Not my story, but a buddy of mines. He was young at the time. His dad put him in a ladder stand that he had scouted and gave him a 30-30 lever action Marlin.

Big buck came by really close. Jeff unloaded every round in the rifle and the buck walked off casually. He threw up from the stand, climbed down and retrieved every single unspent cartridge on the ground.

He had cycled the rifle, but never actually pulled the trigger.

Funny stories. Yes. Do as many rehearsals as possible. But still, things will happen.

I forgot to bring **** tickets on a turkey hunt this past spring. In need of a "solution" I went searching through my bag. The best I could find (without having to resort to using some of my clothing) were two bananas. So yes, I quickly ate both bananas, then wiped my backside with the peels.

The trick there is whether to use the inside or outside of the banana peel. I went with the outside, and to summarize it didn't really pick anything clean - it just moved stuff front to back, left to right...

I forgot to bring **** tickets on a turkey hunt this past spring. In need of a "solution" I went searching through my bag. The best I could find (without having to resort to using some of my clothing) were two bananas. So yes, I quickly ate both bananas, then wiped my backside with the peels.

The trick there is whether to use the inside or outside of the banana peel. I went with the outside, and to summarize it didn't really pick anything clean - it just moved stuff front to back, left to right...

EWWWW....and you owe me a new keyboard.

Reactions: MJH

This is the funniest woods goof I’ve ever read. Smeared poop banana ass. Hahaha
Why didn’t you do the classic cut off the underwear and use for tp and burry it !?

Reactions: MJH
2nd hunt of the year was a week ago...in a brand new location. An afternoon/evening hunt. I went to 30 feet, shot though the top of doe that was 15 yards from the stand. At 6:40 I start down and my rappel rope is stuck in the V of the tree. I think I'll just take my single stick up to the rope...which I do...then I drop the rope. Now I'm 30 feet (head level) and only my lineman's belt, tether, single stick, and aider. It literally takes me a full hour to climb down. Pick up my arrow and just a little blood on it...zero blood where the deer literally stood for 10 minutes. Lesson learned...don't drop your rappal rope.

Not my story, but a buddy of mines. He was young at the time. His dad put him in a ladder stand that he had scouted and gave him a 30-30 lever action Marlin.

Big buck came by really close. Jeff unloaded every round in the rifle and the buck walked off casually. He threw up from the stand, climbed down and retrieved every single unspent cartridge on the ground.

HAHAHA thats hilarious right there!

My first deer hunt ever, was with my brother at our buddy's family's land. We were sitting in a nice enclosed box blind on a cool morning in December I think it was. I was probably 15 at the time. We had a nice doe come out into the food plot dead center in front of us about 80 yards out. I got set and remember my brother telling me to warn him before I was going to shoot. I did just that and he said alright safety off. I let that safety out as slow and as quietly as I could. I was dead steady on that deer's vitals. I pull the trigger.....click!!!! Nothing happens and I turn to my brother and go "Dude! you didnt load a round?!" Both of our hearts dropped but the deer didnt budge an inch. We were able to pull the rifle back in and rack a round in with as little noise as possible and reset. I pulled that trigger and that deer kicked higher than karate kid! We found her 40 yards off in the tree line.
Ended up being a button buck!! My first deer ever! I'll never forget it!

I own one of those lever action Marlin 30/30s... love it, but unfortunately have not been far enough up north in MI to use it in the rifle range. Only shotgun where I'm mostly at.

This is the funniest woods goof I’ve ever read. Smeared poop banana ass. Hahaha
Why didn’t you do the classic cut off the underwear and use for tp and burry it !?

I had brand new gitch on - and to take this story to new levels of honesty, I don't get new gitch often enough...

Pretty much everything about today. I was late to the tree and wasn't hooked up until it was practically light out. Thirsty from the walk in and climb up, I reach for my water bottle only to drop it 20 ft. Then my diy wooden platform cracks.....I did test it at ground level and it seemed fine. I finish the hunt just standing on half a functional platform which now creaks every time I move. I replace the wood( realized the problem is that I ran the grain of the wood the wrong way, should be fine now). The wood is attached to the top of my climbing stick...or so I thought. Put the last screw in and realize I had attached the new plank to the BOTTOM of the stick.....I'm done for the day. Just gonna sit here until its time for bed lest anything else go wrong. Oh, and I didn't see a single deer.

I dropped my bow from 25'
I dropped my binos from 20'
I dropped my pack with Ozonics in it 20'
I got into my stand 1 premium morning 3/4 mile deep to realize I didn't have my release.
I had to stop to take a dump about 100 yards before I got to my stand. When I got done, I took 3 steps and looked over to see that I was already at my stand.
When lowering my pack with para chord, I had the short end instead of the long and let it slide right through my fingers 25'.
I went out for a 1 hour hunt, under dressed since it was a short hunt. I got pinned down by a mature brut at 40 yds behind some brush and his doe at 30 yards facing me. They bedded for about 3 hours, coldest I've ever been.
I had to go back to a spot 1/2 mi. into public ground a few days after a hunt. I had to take my sticks and re-climb to get my Ozonics mounting bracket.
I'm sure there are more.

Back