• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Candles or scents for the house

Zero One Actual

SH Member
So I walk in from a long hard grizzled day of manly hunting straight into some sort of aroma that only women know how to find. I instantly froze and starting worried about how to get the smell off me but then had a thought……..

Are there any sort of candles out there that “could possibly” be a little more odor friendly for people like us? Maybe, maybe not, either way, if anyone has any good suggestions for something a little less fruity and a lot more ummm, outdoors ish? Pine sap? Fresh autumn breeze? Smoldering manliness in a candle? Anything?

So I walk in from a long hard grizzled day of manly hunting straight into some sort of aroma that only women know how to find. I instantly froze and starting worried about how to get the smell off me but then had a thought……..

Are there any sort of candles out there that “could possibly” be a little more odor friendly for people like us? Maybe, maybe not, either way, if anyone has any good suggestions for something a little less fruity and a lot more ummm, outdoors ish? Pine sap? Fresh autumn breeze? Smoldering manliness in a candle? Anything?
Yeah I use this stuff called “Derrier”, comes in green gas—err, glass, green glass…heard it’s manufactured by some Frenchie bubbly water brand. It’s bubbly, alright.

okay, serious answer, anything that smells legitimately of pine, cedar, wood smoke, or cinnamon is okay to be in the same zip code as my hunting clothes. Don’t know why but doesn’t seem to put deer on alert when I know they’ve winded me like some other human odors have. Obviously the more natural smelling the better. If I get turned off by some kind of unnatural chemical scent the deer definitely can, so I don’t go out of my way to cover my clothes in candle scent, but I don’t blow them out all Fall when I want to hunt.

No suggestions, other than keep hunting gear in designated outdoor lock building, but I know your pain.

It seems like fall hunting season and scented candle burning intensity are related. The excuse I always hear is the holiday season is here.

This is why my hunting gear stays in a closet outside and it has its own washer and dryer for hunting stuff only. And with in that closet I always have earth pucks odor eliminators on top of them being “outside”. Bc my wife with the candles especially around this time of year… I don’t even want to get into it lol

This is why my hunting gear stays in a closet outside and it has its own washer and dryer for hunting stuff only. And with in that closet I always have earth pucks odor eliminators on top of them being “outside”. Bc my wife with the candles especially around this time of year… I don’t even want to get into it lol
That’s pretty much how I roll as well.

to be honest, regardless of hunting clothes and odor awareness, I detest chemical perfumes and other scented items.

That’s pretty much how I roll as well.

to be honest, regardless of hunting clothes and odor awareness, I detest chemical perfumes and other scented items.
Same here. I even tried to find some study that would link scented candle to lung disease, but no luck.

There may not be a conclusive study but there has to be a contribution there. After all, manufactured scents are chemical recipes distributed in the form of an inhalent.

I keep my hunting clothes in my basement and the only come up stairs when I’m leaving the house. I figure the musty basement smell offsets the scented candle exposure. That said I’m usually leaving right as my wife is spraying some sort of scented hairspray or perfume.

Here's you one to try...sweet corn

Back