• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canoe vs Kayak

CooterBrown

SH Member
Which should I choose for deer hunting public land on a river system with lakes and creeks running everywhere. Also where is the best place to buy either.

Which should I choose for deer hunting public land on a river system with lakes and creeks running everywhere. Also where is the best place to buy either.
What part of bama are you in? Canoe. Buy used. I picked up one on a local Alabama forum for a solid price. You shouldn’t have a hard time finding one this time of year. I was blown Away at how stable and easy to paddle the canoes were. You get a lot of load capacity for the size with the canoe. I have a 14 Oldtown maybe a discovery 158 and love it.

I have a kayak (free from my aunt), and I would go canoe. Just easier to throw stuff and get in. Plus you can throw a deer in it too. That being said, there are kayaks that are almost as roomy as canoes. I’d look on Craigslist for something used

Canoe will be lighter and hold more weight. Also higher sides are important when its cold. A shorter kayak will be more maneuverable. I use a paddleboard on occasion and I could not reccomend against it enough. Love it for fishing, hunting not so much.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I really like my 12' Radisson. Got it at a garage sale, weighs like 34lbs, 500lb capacity. The paddles with oar locks are a plus, you can cruise and you arent dripping water on yourself or into the boat when its cold out. The width and sponsons make it super stable. Picked mine up at a garage sale for a great price.
c99f5baa5404bc2eb8e9ce5f80efd3f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve been using a 12’ wilderness systems sit in and it’s horrible. Seriously use a canoe. Luckily I’m so bad I haven’t got a deer yet I have no idea what I’d do if I got one. But I love getting in great spots!

What part of bama are you in? Canoe. Buy used. I picked up one on a local Alabama forum for a solid price. You shouldn’t have a hard time finding one this time of year. I was blown Away at how stable and easy to paddle the canoes were. You get a lot of load capacity for the size with the canoe. I have a 14 Oldtown maybe a discovery 158 and love it.
What forum was you referring to in Alabama. If you don't mind putting it out here

What forum was you referring to in Alabama. If you don't mind putting it out here
Aldeer.com

bunch of oldgrumpy dudes on there but if you can’t take the ridicule they can be helpful. They do have rules for their classifieds so make sure to read them before just posting. If you’re new and you’re only posting in the classifieds you’ll wind up getting painted yellow (which isn’t good)
Also check craigslist.

I really like my 12' Radisson. Got it at a garage sale, weighs like 34lbs, 500lb capacity. The paddles with oar locks are a plus, you can cruise and you arent dripping water on yourself or into the boat when its cold out. The width and sponsons make it super stable. Picked mine up at a garage sale for a great price.
c99f5baa5404bc2eb8e9ce5f80efd3f9.jpg

Lucky to get it at a good price....they are like gold here. I havent seen one under $600 in a long time.

I have a old town tandem that's 13' long and it works great. Sit in so its very similar to a canoe. I like it a little better than my canoe because its shorter but if I hunt with a friend I either have to run him or the deer back to landing first then head back which is a pain. My canoe unless its 2 deer or a big one we can do in one trip.

Lucky to get it at a good price....they are like gold here. I havent seen one under $600 in a long time.
I paid $275 for it, it was old and a little beat up, has had a hole patched before, and needed new sponsons ($60). I probably overpaid a little but I still feel like I got my money's worth. Pre covid, I would see them pop up regularly on northern Michigan Craigslist in the 300 to 500 range in better shape. With covid, seems like everyone wants to be outside doing stuff now so its hard to find anything decent. The sportspal versions are pretty good, too, and probably a little better for a dedicated hunting rig. The 12' is great, but if I were to buy another I would get a 14' to have a little more room when fishing with a buddy from it.

I paid $275 for it, it was old and a little beat up, has had a hole patched before, and needed new sponsons ($60). I probably overpaid a little but I still feel like I got my money's worth. Pre covid, I would see them pop up regularly on northern Michigan Craigslist in the 300 to 500 range in better shape. With covid, seems like everyone wants to be outside doing stuff now so its hard to find anything decent. The sportspal versions are pretty good, too, and probably a little better for a dedicated hunting rig. The 12' is great, but if I were to buy another I would get a 14' to have a little more room when fishing with a buddy from it.

you stole that

I would say a 12 canoe if u are by yourself most of the time and a 16 if u got a buddy...I have a 16 and it fine for 2 adults to hunt or fish from but it a little much for just me

Back