• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carabiner or quick link for tether attachment??

jgss2

I always thought climbing rated carabiners were a no go for the tether. I was under the impression that dangerous cross loading was a possibility and a steel quick link was a must. I just watched a one stick video by a fellow named Carl where he uses a carabiner with a scaffolding hitch. Any thoughts? I know that alot of us on here risk out of spec use for certain applications. I just wondered what some opinions were and if there’s a carabiner that’s stronger and better suited for this. Thanks

In Carl’s video, he does use a carabiner for his rappelling rope attachment. From what I have read, common opinion is that the carabiner could be placed into a cross loaded position against the tree...more likely on smaller trees. Carl is on a good sized tree but I think most people prefer the strength of the delta link. I use the delta link.

It's all about speed not safety, your life your choice. Delta for me if it takes 2 minutes longer to climb safely then I guess I lost 2 minutes of hunt time. Never understood taking unnecessary chances for little gain.

It's all about speed not safety, your life your choice. Delta for me if it takes 2 minutes longer to climb safely then I guess I lost 2 minutes of hunt time. Never understood taking unnecessary chances for little gain.

Not saying it's the right choice, but you could contend that the 2 minutes spent screwing/unscrewing the link is time where your tether is essentially unhooked, so less safe.

What exactly is the danger of the carabiner? Is it that the aluminum carabiner could get pressed against the tree and bend or break?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What exactly is the danger of the carabiner? Is it that the aluminum carabiner could get pressed against the tree and bend or break?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes... carabiners are not made to be loaded in that manner. FWIW, i'm not sure quick links really are either..

Any reason why delta over oval?

yeah I keep coming back to this question too. I think it has to do with the potential for a poachers/scaffold knot folding over an oval link under great tension, where w/ a delta that would be substantially less likely. I'm not sure how likely it is on the oval to be honest.

yeah I keep coming back to this question too. I think it has to do with the potential for a poachers/scaffold knot folding over an oval link under great tension, where w/ a delta that would be substantially less likely. I'm not sure how likely it is on the oval to be honest.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Is the idea that it could slide up and pop out of the open hole or what?

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Is the idea that it could slide up and pop out of the open hole or what?
I think he means the oval link might possibly get sucked into the knot due to its shape.

Oh I see, and this it would pull out or the knot would be on the nut itself?

If the oval gets pulled into a scaffold (due to being narrow and taking a fall), then the scaffold knot comes untied and you fall. It hasn't been tested, so I don't know how likely this is, but you can get the oval to start to go into the scaffold just with hand tension (pulling on the standing end of the knot does not tighten the coils, so the knot does not try to resist this naturally as greater tension is applied). For that reason, I use the delta even though I have the oval because no possibility with the wider delta. Where the scaffold knot is really dangerous with this would be tying it so it constricts onto another rope or some webbing. I mention this so that people remember this about certain types of knots: they are trying to self-destruct at all times and something else that is sturdy has to continually stop them.

When you say the oval you mean the short side of the link or the curved part itself? What about on a larger link? I’m only asking as I have one as do a few folks I know and I want us all to be safe.

When you say the oval you mean the short side of the link or the curved part itself? What about on a larger link? I’m only asking as I have one as do a few folks I know and I want us all to be safe.

EDIT: I confused someone else, I don't use the ovals. The knot will eventually work its way into the narrow end when under pressure with the tether line on the opposite side, which from the perspective of my concern is worst case scenario.

Original message:
Just the narrow end of an oval link like this

The larger the link the better. The 8 mm triangle is only 0.9 ounces heavier.

My caution about this is probably the most controversial thing I've ever wrote here! You'll probably be okay with the oval, but I just feel a lot better about it with the wide triangle with a slight weight/size penalty.

Last edited:
Just the narrow end of an oval link like this

The larger the link the better. The 8 mm triangle is only 0.9 ounces heavier.

My caution about this is probably the most controversial thing I've ever wrote here! You'll probably be okay with the oval, but I just feel a lot better about it with the wide triangle with a slight weight/size penalty.
Do you tie the scaffold knot on the wide end of the triangle or in the point of it?

Do you tie the scaffold knot on the wide end of the triangle or in the point of it?

I think I was confusing. I won't use those ovals. The knot will always end up in the point.

Maybe take a soft approach?View attachment 40516

Doesn’t that completely nullify the advantage of a link by making you pass the entire rope through every time you want to go around a branch? And if you’re going to do that why not just use a figure 8 knot. Why add another piece of rope to the equation. Unless I’m missing something which with my brain is entirely possible. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t that completely nullify the advantage of a link by making you pass the entire rope through every time you want to go around a branch? And if you’re going to do that why not just use a figure 8 knot. Why add another piece of rope to the equation. Unless I’m missing something which with my brain is entirely possible. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he is using a soft shackle in place of a screw link.

Back