• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carbon Rods

Edward Forman

I was excited about carbon bolts until I saw the 3/8” carbon bolt that broke. I understand the guy was trying to break it, standing on the end and bouncing! It would have probably never broke under normal use climbing a tree. Yet it caused concern and rightfully so. I am 68 years old standing at 300 pounds. I use my tree spurs when and where I can and grade 8 bolts as an alternate climbing method. I wanted the carbon bolts to lighten my load so I opted to go to a 1/2” drill bit and 1/2” carbon bolts that would drastically increase the strength over 3/8” carbon. I ordered a Milwaukee 1/2” Ship auger bit and prepared it for my 20 volt DeWalt drill: I didn’t see a significant difference in drilling effort between 3/8” and 1/2”. I then got a 1/2” bolt and it didn’t slip into the cylinder hole. This was a surprise to me. I then purchased a couple 12mm bolts and they slid into the holes without wobble. I am glad I checked this out because I would hate to pay $100+ for carbon bolts and find too late that they don’t fit! 12mm bolts are just .7mm smaller than 1/2” bolts and are much stronger than 3/8” carbon bolts. Just thought I would relate my experience with the 1/2”carbon bolt path to tree climbing. Maybe it will save those who go to 1/2” a costly mistake.

Thanks for sharing this information. Hopefully it will save some guys the expense, and grief of buying 1/2" rods that they think will work to replace grade 8 bolts, only to find out that they won't.

By the way, Edward Forman (Lloyd) has been my main hunting partner for the past 41 years. Welcome to the Saddlehunter site, Lloyd.

I was excited about carbon bolts until I saw the 3/8” carbon bolt that broke. I understand the guy was trying to break it, standing on the end and bouncing! It would have probably never broke under normal use climbing a tree. Yet it caused concern and rightfully so. I am 68 years old standing at 300 pounds. I use my tree spurs when and where I can and grade 8 bolts as an alternate climbing method. I wanted the carbon bolts to lighten my load so I opted to go to a 1/2” drill bit and 1/2” carbon bolts that would drastically increase the strength over 3/8” carbon. I ordered a Milwaukee 1/2” Ship auger bit and prepared it for my 20 volt DeWalt drill: I didn’t see a significant difference in drilling effort between 3/8” and 1/2”. I then got a 1/2” bolt and it didn’t slip into the cylinder hole. This was a surprise to me. I then purchased a couple 12mm bolts and they slid into the holes without wobble. I am glad I checked this out because I would hate to pay $100+ for carbon bolts and find too late that they don’t fit! 12mm bolts are just .7mm smaller than 1/2” bolts and are much stronger than 3/8” carbon bolts. Just thought I would relate my experience with the 1/2”carbon bolt path to tree climbing. Maybe it will save those who go to 1/2” a costly mistake.

Welcome Lloyd. Heard a lot a good things about you from Mr. Warrens stories. Glad to have you. Don’t know how I missed this thread. Good info on the bolts.

Reactions: WHW
Welcome Lloyd, any friend of Mr. Womack is certainly welcome here.:)

Edit: I was sitting here thinking "Wow hunting together for 41 years" when it occured to me that my hunting buddies and I have been hunting together for that plus some . . . time flies when you're having fun.

Welcome Mr Lloyd I look forward to more of your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for that Edward. I am about to purchase a set and have been debating the 3/8 or 1/2”. Im a big guy for 225lbs. I think I will go with the 1/2” i just need to try one on my hand drill first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YS3dIeu.jpg

Back