• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NutterBuster's 5.5lb Saddle Hunting Rig

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So I've received a lot of questions about my rig, and figured it would be easiest to just go ahead and break everything down one good time and include helpful links.

Huge thank you to all the members here that have helped me build what I think is the perfect setup for my hunting style. I hope these videos help others to do the same.

I know this is a long two videos, but I really tried to be thorough. I made it while sipping a little rye, and would recommend viewers settle in with their drink of choice while suffering through it.

As always, be smart, be safe, and do your own homework before you climb. Falling from a saddle will hurt you more than it hurts me. ;)

Edit: added links to various products. No promises made that the links will work in the future, 'cause interwebs, but they're good at the time of writing.

Aerohunter Kestrel - https://aerohunter.us/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

Squirrel Steps - https://doublesteps.com/

Carbon Fiber Bolts - https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/...od/carbon-round-pultruded-solid-rod/47311-l96

AustriAlpin Cobra D-Ring - http://austrialpin.net/product/ansi-cobraframe-release-d-ring/

Last edited:
Like the vidoes, I"ve kinda skipped through them and am listening while working.

And.... It's very obvious the lowball glass is for scale...I mean what else would be in there besides apple juice right?

Great video dude. We are cut from the same cloth no doubt. Minimal gear and nothing to fiddle with when you find a tree to climb. Really slick system and some great ideas as well. I like that tether setup with the tubular webbing. That saves some weight and bulk for sure!

Glad you guys found something of value. I'll probably add a third part that shows the entire system in use on two climbs. One in real speed and one where I break down what I'm doing and why I'm doing it that particular way. I already did a climbing video, but I've refined my technique a bit so I csetup smoother and make better time.

I have the carbon bolts and Ezcut drill but haven’t got that system dialed in to be fast enough for my liking yet. In my mind I can grab the drill/bolts or my spurs that weigh 2.6 lbs and be up the tree in less than two minutes for a little extra weight. Pretty easy decision for me. You don’t seem to mind the extra time so I can see why it’s your #1 climbing method. I think for me I’ll pre drill several trees and use the bolts for that. If someone can design a cordless drill that weighs half pound, and is silent I’ll throw a bag of cash at ya! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the carbon bolts and Ezcut drill but haven’t got that system dialed in to be fast enough for my liking yet. In my mind I can grab the drill/bolts or my spurs that weigh 2.6 lbs and be up the tree in less than two minutes for a little extra weight. Pretty easy decision for me. You don’t seem to mind the extra time so I can see why it’s your #1 climbing method. I think for me I’ll pre drill several trees and use the bolts for that. If someone can design a cordless drill that weighs half pound, and is silent I’ll throw a bag of cash at ya! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used spurs for a bit, and while the actual climb is very fast, I found that unpacking them, putting them on, and taking them off ate up some of those time savings. If you have a good drill, it takes about 30 seconds to drill a hole. I have the bit for a power drill, and to me even if you're just presetting it's not worth carrying the thing. 6oz and 30 seconds is hard to beat.

I did enjoy your video on spurs, and played around a good bit with climb rights and a predator. It was not a bad system at all, just never developed the confidence in them that I have with a bolt on the tree.

I won't pretend that bolts are the quickest way up the tree. But I don't feel like they're really all that slow. When you look at the ascent and descent as a total, you make up time going down that you lose going up. The only faster way is to jump!

You figure I generally set a 2-3am alarm, take 20 minutes to get dressed and packed, drive 15 minutes to an hour, walk/paddle another 15 to an hour, sit for 4 hours to all day, and then do everything in reverse to get home...

Saving the the weight, bulk, and fiddle-factor outweighs saving the time for me.

But there's no "wrong" way to do it. :)

I used spurs for a bit, and while the actual climb is very fast, I found that unpacking them, putting them on, and taking them off ate up some of those time savings. If you have a good drill, it takes about 30 seconds to drill a hole. I have the bit for a power drill, and to me even if you're just presetting it's not worth carrying the thing. 6oz and 30 seconds is hard to beat.

I did enjoy your video on spurs, and played around a good bit with climb rights and a predator. It was not a bad system at all, just never developed the confidence in them that I have with a bolt on the tree.

I won't pretend that bolts are the quickest way up the tree. But I don't feel like they're really all that slow. When you look at the ascent and descent as a total, you make up time going down that you lose going up. The only faster way is to jump!

You figure I generally set a 2-3am alarm, take 20 minutes to get dressed and packed, drive 15 minutes to an hour, walk/paddle another 15 to an hour, sit for 4 hours to all day, and then do everything in reverse to get home...

Saving the the weight, bulk, and fiddle-factor outweighs saving the time for me.

But there's no "wrong" way to do it. :)

Good point on coming down. You would def beat me since I have to put my spurs back on :D I will give the drill and bolts a solid chance this coming season. It's hard to beat the packability of those carbon bolts!

Good point on coming down. You would def beat me since I have to put my spurs back on :D I will give the drill and bolts a solid chance this coming season. It's hard to beat the packability of those carbon bolts!
I'll be bringing everything in the video to saddlepalooza. You're welcome to monkey with it.

Really enjoyed the videos. I really like hearing what has and hasnt worked for guys that have been doing this longer than I.

Quick question regarding the kestrel buckle and leg strap modifications. Would like to hear your thought process regarding only having the one buckle on the kestrel, and it being a plastic on at that. What were your thoughts when you made that decision? I know it’s no load bearing, but do you have any worries anout that being the only thing keeping to in the saddle? Thanks.

Really enjoyed the videos. I really like hearing what has and hasnt worked for guys that have been doing this longer than I.

Quick question regarding the kestrel buckle and leg strap modifications. Would like to hear your thought process regarding only having the one buckle on the kestrel, and it being a plastic on at that. What were your thoughts when you made that decision? I know it’s no load bearing, but do you have any worries anout that being the only thing keeping to in the saddle? Thanks.
Excellent question. Remember what I said about no feel-good answers?

Leg straps and rated buckles are a wonderful idea. I think everybody should use them starting out. If you feel even a little uncomfortable with the idea of removing them, you should use them. They are really not that obtrusive to hunting. And if you need them, you'll be very glad you have them.

For me personally, I've never been in a position where I felt I needed leg straps. I first compromised by removing the buckles and stitching them in place. I think this is a wonderful compromise, since you shed weight, reduce bulk and "complexity," and do not compromise safety assuming you properly stitch them. But it is a minor inconvenience to step through them. I started just throwing the saddle on without stepping through the loops when practicing, and never could make a fall happen at ground level.

Even with the buckle not fastened, a saddle will hold you during normal hunting and climbing conditions. I keep it tight when climbing, and loosen it when sitting. I do not personally feel unsafe.

But I would say if you have to ask if it's "ok," then no, it's not. Not trying to be rude, but it's an indeniable risk, and I can't make that call for someone.

Excellent question. Remember what I said about no feel-good answers?

Leg straps and rated buckles are a wonderful idea. I think everybody should use them starting out. If you feel even a little uncomfortable with the idea of removing them, you should use them. They are really not that obtrusive to hunting. And if you need them, you'll be very glad you have them.

For me personally, I've never been in a position where I felt I needed leg straps. I first compromised by removing the buckles and stitching them in place. I think this is a wonderful compromise, since you shed weight, reduce bulk and "complexity," and do not compromise safety assuming you properly stitch them. But it is a minor inconvenience to step through them. I started just throwing the saddle on without stepping through the loops when practicing, and never could make a fall happen at ground level.

Even with the buckle not fastened, a saddle will hold you during normal hunting and climbing conditions. I keep it tight when climbing, and loosen it when sitting. I do not personally feel unsafe.

But I would say if you have to ask if it's "ok," then no, it's not. Not trying to be rude, but it's an indeniable risk, and I can't make that call for someone.
I don’t think that’s rude at all. I completely agree, got to make those calls for yourself. Although I don’t have any plans to make those modifications to my kestrel, I like to hear what your thoughts were, and they make sense. Right now for me, with only having one season in the saddle under my belt, I’ll keep them for piece of mind. Love all the ingenuity, makes me want to revisit climbing with bolts.

Nice, always interesting to see what others are doing. I've only got one hunting sit in my saddle and my season is over, but still pouring over different options and seeing what directions others go definitely helps spark creativity in my own system. You mentioned you have some thoughts on a simple archery system. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that too in a future video. Well done!

Back