• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carbon Shaft Suggestions

KYHunter

I’ve dabbled in trad a bit but never taken the time for a full on plunge. I thought I would change that this winter and could use some arrow shaft suggestions from those of you who shoot carbons. I feel that I have a basic understanding of spine and how to tune an arrow. I know tuning arrows to trad bows is different for every bow and shooter so I’m just looking for what Shafts have worked well for others and how they’ve held up hunting.

I’ve got a Ben Pearson Cougar 45# @ 28”
And Bear Kodiak Magnum 45# @ 28”

TIA!

I shoot Gold Tips with a 500 spine out of my 45# recurve. I'd suggest you look for a good deal on any carbon shafts and go with the cheapest ones you find. However if you are currently shooting carbons out of your current bow, assuming you're shooting a compound bow you may consider staying with the same brand if the components will be interchangeable between spines. That could save you a few bucks. Then just practice, practice, practice. If you loose or break any of the arrows and you will, you'll be glad you are shooting the cheap shafts.;)

As with many trad archery posts like this, you’re going to get a lot of variation in answers. You are also going to be told many times over, your question doesn’t provide enough information to allow for an answer with any degree of accuracy, if accuracy is even possible when answering this question.

I believe your answer is in your question. It will be very individual for both you and the bow. Each bow is made ever so slightly different, as is the shooter. It’s a unique relationship. With that said, I will lend some advice on things to consider when looking at arrows.

In my opinion, maybe the biggest factor that will determine your arrow spine requirements, outside of actual draw length and poundage at that draw length, is the center cut of the bow. I can shoot 29” GT trad 500’s with 100 grain insert and 200 grain point out of my bow that is cut before center. Take that same arrow and shoot it out of an identical bow cut past center and it will be weak. Know where your bow is cut before considering arrows.

Make sure your draw length is accurate. It doesn’t matter what your compound draw length is. You need to know if you’re short drawing, collapsing, etc. so that you can have an accurate measurement. Then scale the bow at that draw length. Determine your desired tip weight now as well.

Now armed with that info, buy a test kit of several full length shafts and shoot them.

I shoot Gold Tips with a 500 spine out of my 45# recurve. I'd suggest you look for a good deal on any carbon shafts and go with the cheapest ones you find. However if you are currently shooting carbons out of your current bow, assuming you're shooting a compound bow you may consider staying with the same brand if the components will be interchangeable between spines. That could save you a few bucks. Then just practice, practice, practice. If you loose or break any of the arrows and you will, you'll be glad you are shooting the cheap shafts.;)
That makes a lot of sense! I’ve been shooting Easton axis in my compound and have some Easton axis traditional as I’ve been shooting as well. I’ll look cheapest tho!

As with many trad archery posts like this, you’re going to get a lot of variation in answers. You are also going to be told many times over, your question doesn’t provide enough information to allow for an answer with any degree of accuracy, if accuracy is even possible when answering this question.

I believe your answer is in your question. It will be very individual for both you and the bow. Each bow is made ever so slightly different, as is the shooter. It’s a unique relationship. With that said, I will lend some advice on things to consider when looking at arrows.

In my opinion, maybe the biggest factor that will determine your arrow spine requirements, outside of actual draw length and poundage at that draw length, is the center cut of the bow. I can shoot 29” GT trad 500’s with 100 grain insert and 200 grain point out of my bow that is cut before center. Take that same arrow and shoot it out of an identical bow cut past center and it will be weak. Know where your bow is cut before considering arrows.

Make sure your draw length is accurate. It doesn’t matter what your compound draw length is. You need to know if you’re short drawing, collapsing, etc. so that you can have an accurate measurement. Then scale the bow at that draw length. Determine your desired tip weight now as well.

Now armed with that info, buy a test kit of several full length shafts and shoot them.
Thanks for the reply. I’m just looking for shaft suggestions, not arrow setups. Durability, cost, consistency, etc.

I run GoldTip shafts as well. I buy the "blemished" shafts and remove the factory labeling with steel wool and dish soap. Generally you can pick them up real cheap. Good luck and have fun!

If you want to go cheap and are ok with normal black carbon color, the Gold Tip Warrior arrows are pretty decent. If you want to get a bit better quality the Gold Tip Velocity or Hunter are both great. If you want a wood colored carbon then Gold Tip Traditionals are good. As you can see I am a Gold Tip fan. They are reasonably priced and you can use their F.A.C.T weight system for easy tuning and adjustments.

So it seems like gold tip is a pretty popular brand in trad. I’ll take a look!

thanks for all the reply’s!

So it seems like gold tip is a pretty popular brand in trad. I’ll take a look!

thanks for all the reply’s!
Id go with anything but goldtip if your going to aim and want to hit something. Black eagle makes a great arrow at a great price.

Id go with anything but goldtip if your going to aim and want to hit something. Black eagle makes a great arrow at a great price.
It is hard to perceive your tone as to whether you are joking or serious. If you are serious about GT arrows, care to share why you don't like them or what bad experiences you have had with them? I haven't experienced or heard of many issues with GT so I would like to know your experience.

A good way to try different options without breaking the bank is get on Lancaster Archery Supply and buy one or 2 arrows of each brand/spine you are interested in trying. They sell single arrows and have good prices to do this. Especially if you want to fletch them yourself with feathers that work best with your bow

It is hard to perceive your tone as to whether you are joking or serious. If you are serious about GT arrows, care to share why you don't like them or what bad experiences you have had with them? I haven't experienced or heard of many issues with GT so I would like to know your experience.
I do lots of bare shaft testing/tuning. goldtip has been the worst Ive tried. After fighting with one, I grabbed the other 11 and it was like bottle rockets, each went its own way. My other hobby is competitive recurve shooting, so my goal is hitting what Im aiming at as often as possible. Goldtip makes a strong arrow and compound guys love them. I question their spine consistency, which effects finger shooters far more than release shooters.

I do lots of bare shaft testing/tuning. goldtip has been the worst Ive tried. After fighting with one, I grabbed the other 11 and it was like bottle rockets, each went its own way. My other hobby is competitive recurve shooting, so my goal is hitting what Im aiming at as often as possible. Goldtip makes a strong arrow and compound guys love them. I question their spine consistency, which effects finger shooters far more than release shooters.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

That’s good info. I’ll try them out but sounds like I may try a few others as well. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Back