• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying a handgun and saddle hunting...

M. Wilson

So I carry my pistol on my waste every time I’m in the woods. There’s always a chance at snakes, coyotes, unwanted trespassers and Anything else on my property... does anybody have any ideas On how I can continue to carry and saddle hunt, without storing it in my pack? The traditional waste holster isn’t going to work out I don’t think....

Appendix

I’m actually going to get just a cheaper shoulder holster for this next season. I’m a right handed shooter and the gun will be under my left arm so I don’t think it should be in the way to draw and shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m actually going to get just a cheaper shoulder holster for this next season. I’m a right handed shooter and the gun will be under my left arm so I don’t think it should be in the way to draw and shoot.

I've not tested it, but my concern was the butt of the gun sticking out far enough to hit the string.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've not tested it, but my concern was the butt of the gun sticking out far enough to hit the string.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Could be an issue. I’ll try it and see. But I can’t think of a better way to carry while bow hunting so really hoping it’ll work lol.

When I'm in bear country I pack a 10mm 1911. Almost always have it in my gunfightersinc spectre shoulder holster.

In other situations my backpack has hip straps that hold my m&p shield in a remora holster.

Pocket carry is bad. Not having 1 in the chamber is bad, not being able to access gun is bad.

Worst case, hike in with regular holster, and right before you attach to tree and ascend you put holstered gun in bag. Chances are you will have time to retrieve up the tree, but I would always want access while on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

So I carry my pistol on my waste every time I’m in the woods. There’s always a chance at snakes, coyotes, unwanted trespassers and Anything else on my property... does anybody have any ideas On how I can continue to carry and saddle hunt, without storing it in my pack? The traditional waste holster isn’t going to work out I don’t think....
I use a cheap shoulder holster and have not experienced any issues.

I’m reading this thread and dreaming. Up here in Canuckistan handguns are “restricted” firearms and can only be taken to the shooting range (I’m simplifying this).

There are some people who are trappers and linesman and the like who work in serious bear country who can get a permit to carry. I personally feel hunters and campers should be able to get the same permit. Why is my life less valuable because I’m in the woods for enjoyment and not work?

Anyway, keep it going guys and I’ll keep dreaming!

There are some people who are trappers and linesman and the like who work in serious bear country who can get a permit to carry. I personally feel hunters and campers should be able to get the same permit. Why is my life less valuable because I’m in the woods for enjoyment and not work?

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you, but this isn't a politics forum so let's keep it to the original topic.

I use my turkey vest as a pack. I might (or might not) keep the large right hand front pocket of the vest available for just such a purpose. IF I did, it would fit easily, be completely undetectable and readily available if needed.

I have a chest holster for my hi point 45 woods gun....I can shoot my bow with no issues with it on my chest.....really can do any activity and its not in the way. I haven't taken a pistol with me out hunting for a long time. I carry when hiking, working in the woods, or out on the canoe. I have used that pistol more as a hammer and shovel than anything else....its just a glorified armadillo killer. I'll kill a hog with it one day. If that big heavy bulky gun isn't an issue than nicer pistols you probably forget you even got it on

Oh you’re one of those guys...

I don't know if it HAS to be either/or...

I've been looking at some combos from Alaska Guide Creations and I'm sure other companies make similar options. I am a bino guy too, so the option for a combo is appealing.

I have not pulled the trigger as it's HOT where I live and I'm worried something flat on my chest would be awfully uncomfortable until the weather turns cooler.

There might be a match that would serve both purposes...

Back