• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying Ameristeps.

JWP

What is everyone doing to carry the Ameristeps in?

Last season I used 4 Cranford screw ins and they worked great. I would put my my saddle on, throw 4 of those in my pockets and sling my Sticks over my shoulder and I was good to go.

I wanted to have a strap type option also so I picked up some Ameristeps for a platform..I like the way they function, but I haven't found a good way to carry them in yet, I don't carry a back pack or a bag and I like to take the least amount of stuff with me when I walk in. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks

JP

What saddle are you using? Hunting with the evo I used a summit deluxe side bag.

36888aae6e0b9031bc8d4e23e988c8f8.jpg

The cinch cord pouch on the side held my pull-up rope. The other side held my bow/pack hanger. The long narrow pouch on the front is perfect for a wicked tree saw when not hunting presets. The large pouch held 4 Amerasteps and boat buckle, lineman’s belt and tree tether. This is everything I could need going up the tree before I would pull up bow and pack. The only small issue I had was it sometimes was pushed down by my pack which would push down the saddle while walking. I carry a pack, a cabelas bird bags only to carry sticks, rangefinder, headlamp, flashlight, and Bono’s if need them. I like at least on hand free. On very long walks I would put Amerasteps and or tether/lineman’s in pack so the saddle wasn’t weighted down. For the kestrel on the way I will either “thread inject” molle loops on the summit pack (there wasn’t much to attach to on the evo) or I was looking into the summit deluxe front pouch which is more square, as the side pouch is more of a trapezoid.

6decb23d0e056827862c8934702ba0b1.jpg

I’m also interested in the molle entrenching tool pouch, canteen pouch and other dump pouches, I’m just not sure what will fit 4 Amerasteps the best. Anyhow, the summit is what I used for the last 3 years. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Side view of the side bag showing it is not rectangular.

68daa7db45e5ef87796ac3c3f3b4649f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the kestrel.

The summit bag looks like it could be a good option..

I have a small canteen pouch but it's a little small for the boat buckle and steps..

I think I have figured out a way to quietly strap them to my sticks without any extra items and then hang them from one of the molle loops on the way up.

What is everyone doing to carry the Ameristeps in?

Last season I used 4 Cranford screw ins and they worked great. I would put my my saddle on, throw 4 of those in my pockets and sling my Sticks over my shoulder and I was good to go.

I wanted to have a strap type option also so I picked up some Ameristeps for a platform..I like the way they function, but I haven't found a good way to carry them in yet, I don't carry a back pack or a bag and I like to take the least amount of stuff with me when I walk in. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks

JP
You could take the buckle that comes with the original ameristeps strap or just find a strap that has that same buckle and use a small piece of paracord and tie it to your belt or your saddle and use that to hold your platform just like I did on my back pack. I only used it twice before my season went out but it worked well.

Yeah Cain I'm thinking I will wrap them up similar to the way that you did.. I will probably wrap them in whatever shirt or jacket I'm carrying in that day and then bungee to my climbing sticks...

I usually bungee my sticks together and then let out the two center straps and wear them like a back pack.

I put my Kestrel in my backpack and my 5 ameristeps on a ratchet strap in a large camo bag that I bought from New Tribe and hang from a strap on my backpack.

Back