• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying your platform

BigAl

Podium or OOAL users in general. How do you carry in your platform. I'm exploring options without purchasing a new pack. I currently use a Tenzing 1250 fanny pack. Ideas?......adding a smaller pack? Bite the bullet and get a trophyline CAYS pack? Others?

I have the same pack. i LOVE LOVE LOVE it. however, carrying a platform is the reason i am ROS guy. I am toying with carrying a one stick on top of the pack, or on the bedroll straps right now. Last year I carried Wild Edge steps gear tied to the yellow tie on loops. worked perfectly.

I want to one stick and rappel after I acquire the equipment. That's why I'm not wanting to spend more dough on a pack if not necessary.

I want to one stick and rappel after I acquire the equipment. That's why I'm not wanting to spend more dough on a pack if not necessary.

the one stick is not as easy to carry as the WE steps on that pack.

I have tried to carry my ridge runner on a waist belt, backpack straps, attached to a backpack and in a pack. I keep going back to a 12L 5.11 day pack.

I like my solo with squirrel steps as a bandolier.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I don't have that platform, but I will throw out a general solution that has worked great for me and can probably be mod'd to work with any pack and platform.

I got a bunch of those bungee cord loops with the ball end. You can remove the ball, shorten the length of bungee, girth hitch the loop to a pack, etc.

On the back of my pack, I have loops of bungee girth hitched (with a twist to lock it) to daisy chain loops on my pack. They are about mid-pack height and one loop on each side. Down farther, I attached the bungee cord loops on each side but left the balls attached and shortened the the bungee loops. I then wrapped the bungee cord plastic balls with vet wrap.

I can take either of my platforms (predator or tree suit) and place between the bungees and take the longer ones and lash over the platform and then latch to the bungee balls below. It is on there tight. I can climb up the tree, reach back around the pack and disconnect the platform to hang it without ever removing my backpack. It is also incredibly fast to pack up, just stretch the cord and let go.

Last edited:
I have a Mission and a Predator platform and the CAYS pack . I love the CAYS pack and I highly recommend it.

I use this pack:
202a5beac64b1e06b64fa063283ace68.jpg

I like to carry my RR like this:
051463ec862bc8800e72335426b3651a.jpg

Other times I like to strap a cheap bow sling on it and just carry it under my arm like this. Works quite well most of the time and I find is usually the most convenient:
1a39150558a4e1aa868836aebcdab9e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I do with my Predator platform....

I have tried to carry my ridge runner on a waist belt, backpack straps, attached to a backpack and in a pack. I keep going back to a 12L 5.11 day pack.

I like my solo with squirrel steps as a bandolier.

Got a pic of the solo/squirrel bandolier?? I like that idea.

I mean, castration bands on the loops of the tree strap so they can't come off the pegs, squirrel steps wrapped in camoform on the tree strap, throw over your head and 1 shoulder so the solo sits middle of your back.
76cc96557a6701437b1ee217015057be.jpg

Thanks. so simple. Sometimes we over think, things. haha. How do you like the scout?

Thanks. so simple. Sometimes we over think, things. haha. How do you like the scout?
Small trees 2-3 hour sits, its great. But if I hold it up to a tree and the tree is wider than the scout, I pick a different tree. I usually have the arch of my feet on the scout with my toes pointed around the side of the tree, on large trees I have to use the balls of my feet and its a no go.

So I like it, but I'm not selling my ridge runner.

I have a Kuiu pack it can come away from it's carbon fiber frame up to about 12". I put my spurs, predator P bare, and knee pad between the pack and Frame. It gets cold here in NW WI, could be single digits end of Oct, Nov could be 0F. So extra clothes in the pack. I don't bring a lot of other items. A few misc. small ones. For me a pack with a frame that comes in sizes and is adjustable makes carrying weight so much more comfortable. Hope you figure out what is optimal for your situation.

Kifaru frame that I switch bags on depending on clothing needs. All bags have compression straps to lash the platform to the system. And, I have a meat shelf to put my deer in on the way out. One trip. It’s Great.

I’ll second the framed pack. It weighs about 5 pounds empty but, I’ve carried a whole deer and cold weather Clothing, and gear in one load. For long hikes of a couple miles or more, it’s the only way to go. And, it carries these loads very well.

The podium is a good platform IMHO. I'm trying to find a good way to carry it comfortably as well as at least 1 stick....probably 3 heliums on my current pack. The CAYS pack looks best but I want the $140 for repelling gear. So I'm looking for ideas from the great minds on this site. Thanks for the input guys!

You may can also take 2 biners and attach them to the molle on your saddle and then hook the platform into the two biner one biner to one side of platform and the other to other side.

Back