• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

cast iron tips recipies

B.C.

yall got any good cast iron cooking tips recipies for camp get your morning started right and fuel you up in the evening

Yup cheap can of biscuits not flakey kind. Put 1/2 inch layer of oil in pot. Drop biscuits in. Fry til golden brown. They will get puffy. Dip em in a can of condensed milk and some peanut butter. Youll thank me

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Camp fire donuts are always good
Yup cheap can of biscuits not flakey kind. Put 1/2 inch layer of oil in pot. Drop biscuits in. Fry til golden brown. They will get puffy. Dip em in a can of condensed milk and some peanut butter. Youll thank me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Good stuff. Hadn’t had that in a while. I usually have over 1 inch of oil. Break the biscuits up into 1 in nuggets. Drop them in and fry until bottom side is golden brown. Flip them and let the other side brown. Take out and shake powdered sugar over them.

yall got any good cast iron cooking tips recipies for camp get your morning started right and fuel you up in the evening

Hard to beat a good omelet with chunks of breakfast sausage and cheese mixed in.
Fish fry or pan fried steak in the evening.
Salt and pepper steak. Get grease hot in skillet. Sear both sides of steak. Splash it with Worcestershire sauce and eat. Quick, easy and filling.

I like those ideas
Hard to beat a good omelet with chunks of breakfast sausage and cheese mixed in.
Fish fry or pan fried steak in the evening.
Salt and pepper steak. Get grease hot in skillet. Sear both sides of steak. Splash it with Worcestershire sauce and eat. Quick, easy and filling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

When at fishing camp. We getup and get the coffe rolling in the percolator with a nice bed of coals in the fire pit. Then We layer the bottom and sides of the cast iron Dutch oven with thick cut bacon. Then dump in a bag of simple potatoes southwest style (I know it’s cheating but it’s convenient). Then crack a dozen eggs over top of that, not stirring, cover and hang over coals at a good height. That height depends on the coals but my general rule is a height that I can’t hold my hand for more then 3-5 seconds. Then we go fly fishing for an hour or so. Sometimes two hours. After getting it off the fire open it up, dump your favorite cheese in so long as it isn’t American (I like pepper jack) and then give the whole thing a stir making sure to scrape any bacon off the pan that might stick and serve onto plates immediately so that the oven can get scraped clean. This isn’t one you want to leave sit in the cast for to long after the stir but the good thing is you just added a bacon seasoning to the inside of that beautiful pan. We usually do this for 4 guys and then there’s no need to eat again until the days done so we can concentrate on fishing, or napping, on the river. Enjoy.

Oh man, I LOVE cast iron.

First off, I skip all the new stuff. The rough coatings are there to make them look good, but hinder the non-stick properties. Old school is the way to go.

First thing I do is strip the old seasoning completely with a run in a self cleaning oven cycle. Then, if the surface needs work, I wire brush the crap out of it with a brass bristle brush, or even use a stone if need be to get a good surface.
Then, I follow this guy’s process for the patina

No soap for cleaning... just hot water and a good plastic bristle brush. Those plastic pan scrapers work wonders too.

Here are some of mine that I restored from thrift store and garage sale finds.
Before
a7db14671798970cfbc8e441c62c1f39.jpg

After
30ca855c651028beb63c29fac3c50990.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, this recipe from the same guy is insanely good.

Oh man, I LOVE cast iron.

First off, I skip all the new stuff. The rough coatings are there to make them look good, but hinder the non-stick properties. Old school is the way to go.

First thing I do is strip the old seasoning completely with a run in a self cleaning oven cycle. Then, if the surface needs work, I wire brush the crap out of it with a brass bristle brush, or even use a stone if need be to get a good surface.
Then, I follow this guy’s process for the patina

No soap for cleaning... just hot water and a good plastic bristle brush. Those plastic pan scrapers work wonders too.

Here are some of mine that I restored from thrift store and garage sale finds.
Before
a7db14671798970cfbc8e441c62c1f39.jpg

After
30ca855c651028beb63c29fac3c50990.jpg

You can also take an orbital sander or wire drill brush to the insides of the rough new ones.

A bit of butter or coconut oil on the bottom of the pan until melted then toss in some pre-chopped onions. After those start to sweeten up toss in some slices of jalapeno cheddar thuringer. Let those cook until lightly crisp. Add a cup of coffee with heavy cream, touch of vanilla extract, and bourbon. Devour and enjoy the day.

Some great tips I use. Use a good quality rag to apply oils after cleaning and to never use paper towel. Sounds weird but has made a big difference. Another tip, Never put anything in the pan until it’s heated properly, to check this pince the side wall (with thumb on outside of pan and pointer finger on inside of pan) near the handle. If you can only hold for a second than the entire pan is now ready for cooking as it has been fully heated. Way less sticking if any.

I go to Hang -con every year (Hammock hang) and those guys are Dutch oven aficionados! They do mountain man breakfast's cheese grits , Bread puddings, fruit cobblers . Banana fosters etc. I don't have the recipes .but I'm never far away with my bowl and spoon. We also do a low country boil on Sat. night. I think we had about 275 people last year.

Back