• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Castration Bands - what do you use them for?

CharlieTN

Yeah, I know that title alone opens up the door for some colorful conversation. Let’s try to keep it kid friendly. LOL

Actually this came about because I had made a post on a facebook saddle hunting group about my recent Amazon order that included a study Bible, for my daughter, and a box of castration bands. I was surprised how many people had no idea how they could be used in saddle hunting. So, I thought let’s have a thread showing off all of the ways that people use the lowly castration band when saddle hunting. Besides, when I ordered them, I had to buy 100 so I’m looking for all sorts of ways to use them.

They’re great for keeping a strap on a post. In fact that is what OOAL does with their scout platform.
IMG_1638.jpeg

They can also be used to keep rope/webbing in place on a carabiner. This is the biner I used to hang my pack. the pack doesn’t have a handle so I use a piece of dynaglide and paracord but they always wanted to slip around, causing me to have to fiddle with them while holding my pack and trying to get it hung on my gear strap. One of these on each side of the rope keeps it in place so I have less to fiddle with at height.
IMG_1637.jpeg

Related to that they can be used to help cut down on noise on a carabiner or to keep it from rotating. Here’s my carabiner attached to my safeguard.
IMG_1635.jpeg

Here I’m using one on my lineman’s rope/spare tether. I can slide that down on the loop to cinch it up tight on the rope to prevent the tether from coming loose. If you want to make it easier to slide, tie a loop of paracord to the castration band to give you a handle to slide it with. This one rarely gets used this way so I’m not worried about it.
IMG_1634.jpeg

Another use for them is to prevent a slipped loop from pulling through. Put on in the loop portion as a stop. I used to use beads but they tend to clank against anything metal.
IMG_1633.jpeg

Anyway, here are a few ideas for you. They really are great and very cheap. The 100 cost me roughly $5 on Amazon. For reference these are the smaller ones designed for removing tails on goats and such. I look forward to seeing what ideas you all have come up with.

Holding my tether tight. I’ll use a girth hitch if I have to but rather use the castration bands.

Back