• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Caul fat uses

Will Harris

SH Member
I got a bunch of caul fat off a mulie. Anybody ever use for anything but wrapping meat?

MeatEater has a couple of videos where they wrap venison burgers in it. I kinda want to try that.
It wasn't burgers. It was meatballs, at least on his cooking special it was.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

They also did burgers.

Hank shaw has a Crepinettes (Sausage wrapped in caul fat ) recipe that I want to try.

I have successfully brought it home clean enough to use a couple times however I did not get a chance to use it in time and supposedly it does not freeze well....maybe next time

thanks for the reply. seems like ive wrapped everything but my wife's head in it.

hmmm. several places have said it does freeze ok?!?!? i havent tried to freeze, but now i will have to try just for the heck of it. most deer fat doesnt freeze for chit, so no idea why caul fat would, but ...

fwiw, since we had a mast crop from hell this year, all our critters are as fat as town dogs. looking to share the wealth over the winter by making projects w deer fat. hopefully others will also. i often say mid-winter as i look over the frozen tundra of IN "glad i aint a critter" and know that a little fat along the way will help others survive. i refuse to help f'n woodpeckers cause my house has a wooden exterior, but other projects for crows, possums, coons and such will be looked into. ideas other than the top 3 off the internet?

Back