• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cautionary tale...truth

Xalah

This was my first season hunting from anything like a saddle. I used a DIY sitdrag and a Slomo style platform. 75' of predator rope and I was climbing drt style. But I discovered I am terrible with a throw bag and line so I ordered a climbing stick and tried one sticking to get my line up the first time. This worked great and I could still rappel down. I was impressed that a Blake's hitch would hold my little 6' 3" 270lb frame and I loved how easy it was to stop on the way down to get my platform. And then I screwed up. Last chance i was going to get for the season. Just a few hours until dark so I was going to just one stick and stand on the top step. Thought, why carry that heavy predator rope when I can just use my long tether and rappel down. Hang with a prusik but come down with a figure 8.
Had no luck and started down the tree at dark. Was going well until I stopped for my stick. The second I let go with my brake hand my backup prusik slipped. My boot lace caught on a step of my stick and I wound up upside down. I checked the prusik and unhooked my boot. As soon as I was upright the knot slipped again and I slid/fell the last 8' or so. Landed on my butt and back. Got up slow and pulled my rope down. Gathered everything but the stick and started to leave. That was when I discovered I couldn't lift my feet. Called my brother-in-law for help. Before he could get there I dropped my bow and bent to pick it up. Went to my knees and couldn't get up. BIL took me to the hospital where I was told no broken bones and sent home. Hours later, I got a call from a Doctor at the hospital who said I had a shattered vertebra. He told me not to move and an ambulance was on the way. Back to hospital, surgery the next day, and 3 weeks on my back later I got to go home. I fell February 2nd and I will be in a full torso back brace until June. As bad as all that sounds it was actually a lot worse.
I finally got to look at my rig and discovered my autoblock had melted to my rope from the heat generated when it slipped. It had held fine when I tested it but I guess the added weight of my hunting pack and clothing must have made me heavy enough to exceed its grip. My screw up but a very good lesson. Check your gear and practice with your climbing rig. Thanks for reading this. Yes, I feel stupid. Every day! But maybe someone else will be a little more careful because of my bad example.

Another good cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing. We all need to be sure we doing things safely. Glad you are recovering.

Dude, I can not imagine how much that must suck. praying for you. Thanks for reminding us all of the importance of inspecting our gear.

Wow..im truly sorry to hear this and im glad it wasnt worse than it was and hope you are on your way to a speedy recovery and thank you for telling us your story so we ALL will double check are equipment

This was my first season hunting from anything like a saddle. I used a DIY sitdrag and a Slomo style platform. 75' of predator rope and I was climbing drt style. But I discovered I am terrible with a throw bag and line so I ordered a climbing stick and tried one sticking to get my line up the first time. This worked great and I could still rappel down. I was impressed that a Blake's hitch would hold my little 6' 3" 270lb frame and I loved how easy it was to stop on the way down to get my platform. And then I screwed up. Last chance i was going to get for the season. Just a few hours until dark so I was going to just one stick and stand on the top step. Thought, why carry that heavy predator rope when I can just use my long tether and rappel down. Hang with a prusik but come down with a figure 8.
Had no luck and started down the tree at dark. Was going well until I stopped for my stick. The second I let go with my brake hand my backup prusik slipped. My boot lace caught on a step of my stick and I wound up upside down. I checked the prusik and unhooked my boot. As soon as I was upright the knot slipped again and I slid/fell the last 8' or so. Landed on my butt and back. Got up slow and pulled my rope down. Gathered everything but the stick and started to leave. That was when I discovered I couldn't lift my feet. Called my brother-in-law for help. Before he could get there I dropped my bow and bent to pick it up. Went to my knees and couldn't get up. BIL took me to the hospital where I was told no broken bones and sent home. Hours later, I got a call from a Doctor at the hospital who said I had a shattered vertebra. He told me not to move and an ambulance was on the way. Back to hospital, surgery the next day, and 3 weeks on my back later I got to go home. I fell February 2nd and I will be in a full torso back brace until June. As bad as all that sounds it was actually a lot worse.
I finally got to look at my rig and discovered my autoblock had melted to my rope from the heat generated when it slipped. It had held fine when I tested it but I guess the added weight of my hunting pack and clothing must have made me heavy enough to exceed its grip. My screw up but a very good lesson. Check your gear and practice with your climbing rig. Thanks for reading this. Yes, I feel stupid. Every day! But maybe someone else will be a little more careful because of my bad example.
Wow, thanks for sharing. Glad your not paralyzed or worse, but very sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you got lucky.

What kind(material)/size diameter of rope? What diameter material cordage for the autoblock? How many wraps? Above or below the 8 for backup? Was the 8 extended so the autoblock couldn't hit it and release?

If the autoblock was "melted" it makes me worried you mismatched materials. Kevla r/spectra rope and nylon based prussik cord... or something to that effect.

And these comments are 100% not to probe fault or failure, but for others to learn from potential mistakes. Stuff happens- we all screw up. I'm really sorry this happened to you.

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery. Thanks for sharing though. These cautionary warnings are exactly the things we need to see to keep safety forefront in our minds.

To be honest the heating limitations of rope on rope friction and the potential of melting is one of the reasons I have stuck with a mechanical ascender for rappelling. I typically rappel pretty slowly but I can still notice the heat buildup in the ascender by the time I'm at the bottom. It may not be as big of a deal for lighter guys but for us bigger framed guys it takes a lot of friction to counteract our downward force.

Last edited:
Glad you are on the road to recovery! Thanks for sharing. More details would be helpful for the community.

I am interested in what cordage you are using and any other rappelling gear you are using. I am heavy side and have been contemplating rappelling for the coming season.

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. Thank you for sharing the story. I am also interested in more of the equipment breakdown. There are so many different combinations of cordage and descent methods that are being used.

Thanks for sharing and don't feel stupid. There is honor in the truth. Just glad you are recovering and it was not worse, like paralyzed.

I’m dumb on repelling. That’s why I started the Repelling 101 Thread a while back. What exactly was the mistake? Were you using the wrong gear or was it technique related like when you flipped?

I’m so glad to hear your going to be okay. That must have been terrifying. Thanks for sharing. I just want to make sure I soak up all the lessons.

Thank you for sharing your sobering story and for your caution to us all. It’s a good reminder that it only takes one gear failure to have a life-changing event hunting at (or descending from) height.

It’s also a good reminder of the need to make sure that one’s gear is up to the task intended. In our zest to go super lightweight and to push the envelope, we would be wise to stop and think about *over spec’ing* our equipment to ensure that it is up to the task with a good margin of safety.

Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use buzzline on friction hitches.
It has a melting temp around 900*
It's made for this application. The hitch is what gets hot.

Sorry to hear of your injuries. I wish you the best.

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery. Thanks for sharing though. These cautionary warnings are exactly the things we need to see to keep safety forefront in our minds.

To be honest the heating limitations of rope on rope friction and the potential of melting is one of the reasons I have stuck with a mechanical ascender for rappelling. I typically rappel pretty slowly but I can still notice the heat buildup in the ascender by the time I'm at the bottom. It may not be as big of a deal for lighter guys but for us bigger framed guys it takes a lot of friction to counteract our downward force.

Has anyone kicked around the idea of a forum category for near misses / accidents / safety? Might keep lessons from being re-learned. I know that buried somewhere there are some good threads on static fall force and a number of personal stores that are no buried pretty deep.

Sorry to hear of your accident. I tried friction hitches and had a few small slips and finally I realized it was only a matter of time until something bad happened and I went to mechanically assisted belay devices, GriGri, Madrock Lifeguard and Safeguard. They are many times less likely to fail than any friction hitch. I keep telling people to get one and I think more people are over time. Safety is paramount in this sport. There is no need to be cool in order to use devices that were invented 100 years ago. They are not so expensive when you consider they are your primary support. Spend $20 on an ATC/figure eight or $80 on a mechanical belay device? I will spend the $80 every time. My safety is worth much more than that to me.

From a study of belaying accidents.
"The study looks at belaying errors in depth, but isn’t entirely clear about the rate of accidents relative to various devices. This is better explained by a different (but more limited) dataset, also compiled by the DAV from reports of gym accidents between 2012 and 2013. The numbers tell us that 56% of belayers use an ATC and are responsible for 45% of accidents, as compared with 14% of belayers using a Grigri and are responsible for 5% of accidents. By device, that equates to an accident rate of 0.8 for tubular devices and 0.36 for Grigris.
Again, there are major limitations with this data, but it certainly suggests that Grigri’s are much safer than ATC’s. This makes sense logically – it stands to reason that a device with a mechanical backup is statistically safer than one without."

Has anyone kicked around the idea of a forum category for near misses / accidents / safety? Might keep lessons from being re-learned. I know that buried somewhere there are some good threads on static fall force and a number of personal stores that are no buried pretty deep.
I thought there was an accident category but I searched and couldn't find it. If there isn't one, there should be one under climbing methods.

I thought there was an accident category but I searched and couldn't find it. If there isn't one, there should be one under climbing methods.
I think this is a good idea, might make people less hesitant to share their stories when there is a specific spot for them.

Thanks for all the comments. I guess I should have said what I was using in the original post. Remember, this was going to be my backup method to get down. I was using New England 8mm accessory cord with a Sterling autoblock and an old black diamond figure 8. Even though it isn't recommended, i had been hanging on a 8mm Bee line prusik the entire climb and hunt. The bee line locks up like a vault even on the accessory cord. The 4 wrap autoblock had worked well when I had tested it at home but I had never bounced on it. I guess the jerk when I went from inverted to upright started it sliding. And my Hawk stick is still in that tree on the management area.

Back