• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Choosing a trad vane....

BackSpasm

SH Member
How do I wade through the trad archery vane options?

Real Feathers? Synthetic feathers? Synthetic trad vanes?

Parabolic cut? Shield cut?

Length??

I'm a little lost here and would like some general advice on how to go about getting a decent all-around option as a guy coming out of the compound world feeling a 'lil trad curious

How do I wade through the trad archery vane options?

Real Feathers? Synthetic feathers? Synthetic trad vanes?

Parabolic cut? Shield cut?

Length??

I'm a little lost here and would like some general advice on how to go about getting a decent all-around option as a guy coming out of the compound world feeling a 'lil trad curious
Trad vanes are not trad.

Agree with above. The only thought I put into feathers is typically "What's cheapest" and "What color can I see best in flight to tell where I hit" (white IMO).
What wraps or paint are you using? I thought saw white wrap or paint with white canes from your shots the other day.

You better pretty them thangs up, life's too short to shoot ugly arrows. ;)
What wraps or paint are you using? I thought saw white wrap or paint with white canes from your shots the other day.

I think they are plenty pretty and cheap. :)
IMG_1942.jpeg
The wraps are white reflective from onestringer. I used his custom design tool to put my dads logo on them. You can kind of see it in the top arrow in the pic above.

I have one arrow fletched with Trad vanes. Fletched one up on a whim. Seems to shoot fine off my shelf in the handful of shots I’ve taken so far (or maybe I’ll use the trad vanes as the excuse the third arrow wasn’t touching also :))

Nothing wrong with feathers. If you're shooting single bevel, get whichever wing your broadheads call for. I've decided on four-fletch with short feathers (Gateway Rayzer and the TrueFlight version of the same). I settled on that based on my reading about the A&A cut feathers. I may change to a more traditional feather later but I'd like to see what this does for me.

With these 2 items, I'm over a hundred arrows and still on my first roll. Also trad vanes are nice. If you start off with a elevated rest, you can use some of your vanes arrows too.

Wait. What? Doesn't have to be in this thread, but I speak for all the stickandstring hunters here when I say you must do a thread dedicated to what this is and how it's been working for you.

With these 2 items, I'm over a hundred arrows and still on my first roll. Also trad vanes are nice. If you start off with a elevated rest, you can use some of your vanes arrows too.

100 arrows! That’s a lot of money. I think I’ve only had maybe 2 dozen arrows total in the 7 years I’ve been shooting. Whatcha doing to them thangs lol

Wait. What? Doesn't have to be in this thread, but I speak for all the stickandstring hunters here when I say you must do a thread dedicated to what this is and how it's been working for you.

Here it is, I honestly was going to let me 9 year old son do it to show how easy it was, but it was bedtime. @Red Beard @BackSpasm @gcr0003

Here it is, I honestly was going to let me 9 year old son do it to show how easy it was, but it was bedtime. @Red Beard @BackSpasm @gcr0003

Ah. Ok. I originally thought you were making vanes or feather alternatives out of vinyl sheets and wanted in on that action. Giant let down.;)

Wraps make more sense though.

Back