• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

civivi knives

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
I had a conversation with my BIL several weeks ago about knives, and he seemed to be fairly knowledgeable, to a novice like me with what to look for in a quality knife. I have several knives but they are all what i would consider junk knives, cheap hunting and fleet store knives. He has a couple bench made and other knives, and recently ordered a civivi which hes had for a few weeks now, and says he likes it so far.

before i pull the trigger anyone have experience with this brand of knife?

edit: adding pic of BILS knife, id probably order something similar.

20201207_003157.jpg

What are you looking for?

Hunting knife- case xx, buck, outdoor edge.

Pocket knife- Kershaw, spyderco, benchmade, opinel

Also I love my bubba knife for butchering and fileting.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mostly just an edc knife, i can throw in my car or pack that lasts longer than a few uses before needing resharpening. from cutting apples to having by the seat for defense or in the worst cutting seatbelts. the knives i have now i can get sharp but it dulls quickly. im looking at getting this one if i get one

That knife is better than a $20 gas station knife probably, but for $60 you can get a pretty great knife.

I guess blade HQ is giving civivi knives great reviews. My fiance and her pops both have Kershaw leeks, great knives, I had a cryo, and one of their earlier autos. Fantastic knives. But if you go with the civivi you probably won't be sad.

I always used axis lock benchmade’s back when I carried folders. Now I use skeletonised fixed blades for edc knives and will never go back.

I haven't heard of that brand before, but I'm not into knives like I used to be.

The D2 blade is not stainless. So, if you can get it with a black coating you might be happier. Otherwise, keep it dry and I would put a little CLP or other rust preventative on it every now and then. You can also patina the blade, which pre-emptively oxidizes it, and that is protective. It looks really nice also. Folks use more than just vinegar to make patterns.

Not being stainless is a strength, literally, as to get a stainless blade that approaches the qualities of a high carbon steel you have to spend pretty big money.

That blade follows a basic Spyderco pattern, which is my favorite knife. My main hunting knife for years is a Spyderco Stretch, which the owner Sal designed as his deer hunting knife.

I have a Buck 113 and the 112 is the folding version. If you look at their "custom knife shop" there's an option for s30v steel which holds edge longer but a little harder to sharpen but something I'd recommend. They're great knives and I haven't needed to own anything but them.

One of the best knives for the money is the Ontario RAT series. Ive carries the same one for like 6 years and have not been kind to it. Still perfect

I had a conversation with my BIL several weeks ago about knives, and he seemed to be fairly knowledgeable, to a novice like me with what to look for in a quality knife. I have several knives but they are all what i would consider junk knives, cheap hunting and fleet store knives. He has a couple bench made and other knives, and recently ordered a civivi which hes had for a few weeks now, and says he likes it so far.

before i pull the trigger anyone have experience with this brand of knife?

edit: adding pic of BILS knife, id probably order something similar.

View attachment 40800
That is a practical looking knife. Easy to sharpen profile, and a nice size.

I'm really fond of 440 stainless steel and 1095. Both are common and easy to sharpen. I do not like blade profiles or materials that I can't sharpen on a car window, coffee mug, gun barrel, cheapo ceramic sharpener, etc.

Honestly, I love a victorinox sak.

D2 is one of the best steels for knives. It will hold an edge better than most and is resistant to corrosion. I worked with it a lot in the tool making I did for a bearing manufacturing company. My favorite Knifes of Alaska knifes are made of D2 steel. One word of caution, don't ever pry with a knife made of tool steel.

One of the best knives for the money is the Ontario RAT series. Ive carries the same one for like 6 years and have not been kind to it. Still perfect
I was shopping around for one recently and the RAT folders I’m finding are made in Taiwan. A lot of Ontario knives are still made in NY I think, possibly some of the RATs but I’m having a doozy trying to find one.
Taiwan really has stepped their game up in the past decade regarding tools, knives, and sporting goods. It’s probably a decent knife but I still very much prefer US or Japanese blades.

I decided to just go for it, ive spent more on stuff I didnt like in the past, and probably will in the future too. Based on my BILs opinion it seemed like a good deal. It came in and wow is this thing sharp, it took the hair right off my arm. Time will tell if it will stay this way, but out the box this is one of the sharpest knives I've ever owned.

It came in it's own nice little case, with a cleaning clothe and a few stickers.
20201209_114247.jpg20201210_135034.jpg

Recently bought a Civivi Elementum...fantastic knife. Bought it because of all the positive reviews and have been happy with it since it came in a couple months ago. Super clean action, sharp, no blade play, and affordable.

Back