• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climb time - Setup time

Bowtie747

SH Member
Hey guys I’m new to saddle hunting as this is my first post! Super excited to hunt out of a saddle this year. I’ve seen the question asked a million times on here and don’t usually see a more exact response. Thought I’d throw my lack of experience out there so newbies like myself could get an idea of how long it takes to be setup in a tree ready to hunt.

So I just timed myself from walk in ready. Meaning sticks strapped together, saddle in pack, or everything on me. My climb time was 8 minutes and 30 seconds to be tethered to the tree. Ready to hunt bow up and locked and loaded id say around 10 or so minutes.

Keep in my ive done hang and hunts with a treestand last year but this is my first ground to saddle full setup time. Also this is taking my time, being quiet, safety double checking everything and on the tree I’m in several transitions using a second linesman belt around branches. So that I’m belted off at all times.
Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn’t. I’d like to see climb times of guys being safe but that have more experience with their setups. Yes, I know that saftey is more important than time but as I mentioned I was being safe and slow. Thanks! Hope this helps someone

First of all, welcome to the group. One thing you forgot to mention was how high you got on your climb and how many sticks did you have to set? For me I climb using the one stick method. So when I walk in I'm wearing my saddle already and all I have to do is take off my pack to unstrap my one stick as well as hook up my pull up rope. I'll set my stick and then set my tether above it, Clip into my bridge and Start my climb. That normally takes me about 3 to 4 minutes to start. I normally climb to about 20 feet. I hunt off of my stick so no need to set another platform. Once at hunting height. I then set my gear hanger, a basic simple version of a HYS strap. Pull up my weapon and hang it first. Then I hang my pack. The climb takes me about 8 minutes. Then about 1 minutes to set up and hang my gear. So all in all I'd say about 13 to 14 minutes from start to finish. Which isn't bad for me since I have just started with the one stick method and saddle hunting this year. Especially when you take into account the learning curve for doing both at the same time. Keep in mind that, The climb time may change if I need to go over limbs or reposition my stick on the way up. I'm always safe because I'm tethered to the tree at all times even before I leave the ground. I'm a cheap SOB so all of my gear is DIY or something repurposed and modified to suit my needs.. The only thing that isn't is my saddle. The best part for me is that going down is so much faster. I use a rappel rope and rappel down which takes about 1 minute to reach the ground.

Hey thanks for the heads up! I used 3 lone wolf full length steps, the bottom two steps have a one step aider and I got to 19’ to the bottom of my saddle platform! I measured with a tape measure. Sounds like you have a awesome setup! I’ve been looking into the one stick and repel method!

So with some experience and practice, I should expect to be hunting in less than 15 minutes, using one stick, and a second with the he platform …..

@Bowtie747 Here is a quick video I did today just after reading your post. @bfriendly I don't fully understand your comment. Yes it is possible to climb and be set up ready to hunt within 15 minutes. You can actually time me in the video when I start my climb or from the time I set my stick. What I didn't understand about your comment was the last part. What did you mean by saying " and a second with the he platform ….. ".

So here is the video I made today

Last edited:
Hey guys I’m new to saddle hunting as this is my first post! Super excited to hunt out of a saddle this year. I’ve seen the question asked a million times on here and don’t usually see a more exact response. Thought I’d throw my lack of experience out there so newbies like myself could get an idea of how long it takes to be setup in a tree ready to hunt.

So I just timed myself from walk in ready. Meaning sticks strapped together, saddle in pack, or everything on me. My climb time was 8 minutes and 30 seconds to be tethered to the tree. Ready to hunt bow up and locked and loaded id say around 10 or so minutes.

Keep in my ive done hang and hunts with a treestand last year but this is my first ground to saddle full setup time. Also this is taking my time, being quiet, safety double checking everything and on the tree I’m in several transitions using a second linesman belt around branches. So that I’m belted off at all times.
Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn’t. I’d like to see climb times of guys being safe but that have more experience with their setups. Yes, I know that saftey is more important than time but as I mentioned I was being safe and slow. Thanks! Hope this helps someone
I actually never timed myself. But then again I have never been worried about time since it never seemed to take longer than climbing with my climber. Now if I am going around multiple limbs it'll take a little longer but a nice smooth pace for me is what I am looking for. I almost feel like if I timed myself I would want to rush up the tree. I do know one thing I started practicing in May and have continued to practice through the summer and each time its easier and easier. I had zero experience with sticks so you having experience certainly helps. Good luck and welcome!

Hey thanks! I feel like I timed myself for a few reasons.

Partly just out of pure curiosity and fun. Also I like to know how long say for in the morning how long I need to account for a setup in the morning. So that Id be setup ready to go well before sun up.

Another reason would be to see the benefit of using the saddle method vs hang and hunt or maybe a climber setup. The saddle setup is a lot faster and to me that is nice. When I was filming myself with a climber it took me forever to get setup.

Also I see the question about how long it takes to get setup on here rather often!
Thanks!

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. A short amount of time can be beneficial, but when setting up in a hunting situation, I personally find myself pausing and listening for a minute or two at each transition... I'm a firm believer that if you know it takes you 15 minutes to get set up and that you need to leave 15 minutes earlier, you're going in too late hahahaha. In the backyard, without listening pauses, I can get 20-25' and fully set up and organized in 14-15 minutes; although most of my hunting is done at less than 20'.

That’s exactly one of the reasons I timed myself. I figure everything it takes 10 in good conditions in the woods it’s 20. Then I know how long to allow in the morning or whatever. I hunt a lot of public so I scout my way in sometimes and I like to know if it’s too late to make a setup or if I’ll just hunt off the ground lol

@Bowtie747 Here is a quick video I did today just after reading your post. @bfriendly I don't fully understand your comment. Yes it is possible to climb and be set up ready to hunt within 15 minutes. You can actually time me in the video when I start my climb or from the time I set my stick. What I didn't understand about your comment was the last part. What did you mean by saying " and a second with the he platform ….. ".

So here is the video I made today
I got the small hawk helium that attaches to the top of my short stick (20”)….that’s the second stick.. After a few times with it I got the bigger platform and will set it beside the top rungs of my top sticks instead. I’m far from ready to one stick……I’ve got 3 36” sticks and an aider to use either on just the first stick, but may be able to move it and use on each one…….y’all got me waiting on new ropes.

I got the small hawk helium that attaches to the top of my short stick (20”)….that’s the second stick.. After a few times with it I got the bigger platform and will set it beside the top rungs of my top sticks instead. I’m far from ready to one stick……I’ve got 3 36” sticks and an aider to use either on just the first stick, but may be able to move it and use on each one…….y’all got me waiting on new ropes.
Why do you feel like you're not ready to one stick? For me I find that one sticking is actually easier than using multiple sticks. I don't know why I feel that way. Maybe it's because I don't like to climb with a lineman's belt.

I worry more about perspiration/sweating then speed up the tree. I go as fast as my metabolism allows me to go without sweating - more worried about the scent I am possibly creating than speed up the tree. Early season, I change from a short sleeve shirt that I wear on my climb up to a light weight long sleeve hunting shirt after my set up and after a few minutes of cool down. Yeah, I have a heat problem....

MWik

Yea I sweat like crazy! Standing still in decent warm weather I’ll sweat. I find even taking my time, not trying to sweat I’m still under 10 minutes!
I’ve been looking at wolf edge steps and I find the same thing. Seems the setup time is pretty long. Not that is a bad thing for some but for me I like a quicker setup!

Why do you feel like you're not ready to one stick? For me I find that one sticking is actually easier than using multiple sticks. I don't know why I feel that way. Maybe it's because I don't like to climb with a lineman's belt.
Cool video. I thought folks were using LB and tether when one sticking. I only tried it twice…..it would a lot easier to lose the LB and just keep raising the tether. I also used my rappelling rope for my tether which also added strain raising it. I’m keeping rappelling rope in a pouch til I descend now. The shorter tether should be a lot easier to raise and manipulate.

Cool video. I thought folks were using LB and tether when one sticking. I only tried it twice…..it would a lot easier to lose the LB and just keep raising the tether. I also used my rappelling rope for my tether which also added strain raising it. I’m keeping rappelling rope in a pouch til I descend now. The shorter tether should be a lot easier to raise and manipulate.
For me it makes a big difference just using my tether. So I take it you saw the video I posted

Wow - how'd I miss this thread?

I'm mostly one-sticking now. Pretty much ditched my spurs ...
Just climbing a decent tree for fun I can get to 30 to 33 feet in four moves in less than 8 minutes.
If I'm pulling up my bow and hanging a pack and setting up my camera and doing it quietly it'll take me a half an hour...

One sticking really intrigues me! Just not really wanting to start a new method during season. I’d say I’ll have a setup next summer! Seems right on par on time as sticking just lighter.

I've never timed myself but I'm very methodical as I try to be super quiet sneaking in and setting up. I would say my " tree time" from start to finish is 20 minutes if not more if I have to make adjustments due to tree lean or other factors. On trees I've climbed before and "know" I would say around the 15 minute mark or a bit less. I do have pre-set steps out but mostly I one-stick with an EWO UP Platform and UOS or a Muddy pro and a solo scout or an EDP. Takes me longer to set up the separate platform(s). I typically climb to 18 feet.

Slow=steady:Steady=quiet.

I guess about 20 minutes from the time I get to the tree until everything is set and I'm hunting at height but I am not trying to get things done in any particular time. I'm more concerning with doing things quiet and with a purpose while constantly looking around for anything wandering in.

Back