• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing a Leaning Tree

I liked and enjoyed this video, but I feel that this climbing method would put me back into looking for a specific tree, again. Much like when I was using my Summit Viper and had to find a tree with no limbs. Just the same, this method puts another tool in the arsenal of tree climbing. Options are a great thing to have for hunting/climbing. :)

The 2TC climbing method has freed me from looking for a specific tree, to finding a tree close to where I want to hunt. :cool:

I liked and enjoyed this video, but I feel that this climbing method would put me back into looking for a specific tree, again. Much like when I was using my Summit Viper and had to find a tree with no limbs. Just the same, this method puts another tool in the arsenal of tree climbing. Options are a great thing to have for hunting/climbing. :)

The 2TC climbing method has freed me from looking for a specific tree, to finding a tree close to where I want to hunt. :cool:

88FE04FE-3404-4070-B9AD-436890DA2ED2.jpeg

I’ve never seen a 2tc video where the tree wasn’t straight and free of limbs.

Good video. I have been missing the part where you are climbing on both ropes together. Which means it's not sliding over the limb.
Do you ever have an issue with your hitches snagging on the limb?
Seems like it need to be a strait out limb. You can't use a crotch In a tree. The hitches will hang up?

When I am looking for a tree in the right place, I don't avoid leaning trees nor large trees, and prefer a large, complex tree, because I can hide better. "Telephone pole" trees, with no branches, are a last resort for me, because we are easy to spot. Here's how I climb a leaner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
@John RB i quickly watched your video, I’m curious if you discussed the potential of spinning when climbing a tree with no contact point? I’m curious how you deal with the lines twisting with your system. I’ve been in this situation a few times and I can pull the ropes a part to induce a spin in the opposite direction but then I have to fight getting twisted in the other direction. I always made it up the tree but it is a bit of a nuisance that you wouldn’t have to deal with on a single rope as much. Minor inconvenience I would say. But if the ropes get really twisted you can’t climb any more until you get them untwisted, so I thought it should be mentioned for this situation.

Good video. I have been missing the part where you are climbing on both ropes together. Which means it's not sliding over the limb.
Do you ever have an issue with your hitches snagging on the limb?
Seems like it need to be a strait out limb. You can't use a crotch In a tree. The hitches will hang up?
If you’re asking about JRB, he uses these boat clip things on the ends to keep them closed to help it pull through the crotch with the hitch on. It’s part of his full system and he discusses this in some of his earlier videos.

I don’t use the boat clips but I also dont climb a lot of extremely narrow crotches. I have had a few want to catch but nothing I couldn’t pull through as of yet. I’m sure it’s coming one day and will probably suck.

If you’re asking about JRB, he uses these boat clip things on the ends to keep them closed to help it pull through the crotch with the hitch on. It’s part of his full system and he discusses this in some of his earlier videos.

I don’t use the boat clips but I also dont climb a lot of extremely narrow crotches. I have had a few want to catch but nothing I couldn’t pull through as of yet. I’m sure it’s coming one day and will probably suck.

He talks about how he will sort of whip the hitch over the crotch. There is a video where he sends a hat over. It's probably a bit of an acquired technique, maybe worth practicing and feeling out the results.

I have to say, around here, with the trees I have 2TC just makes the most sense for me. I got into Drt a couple of years ago and bought 75 feet of Samson Predator and love to climb on ropes. It is fun and just feels safe. I set presets in big red oaks that year and wouldn't you know it. We had a terrible red oak crop, and I ended up not being able to use one of those spots. The biggest problem I was running into with rope climbing was that the trees in my area are like telephone poles. The first limb that I would trust to put my 150-pound weight on was usually at least 50 feet up. I can't tell you how many times I have thrown a throw ball over a limb only to discover my 75 feet of rope would just not cut it. Man, that's a tough feeling when I just spent 20 minutes making 10 throws to get over just the right limb. I strongly considered buying 120 feet of rope.

I used sticks last season and they were heavy and cumbersome, and I never felt safe climbing with them and a lineman's belt. Plus, it was taking me 15 minutes on average to get set up with sticks. Post season I went back and looked over all the trees I hunted last fall and decided that fully 95% I could have just as easily climbed using 2TC. This was out of around 80 hunts. I can be at hunting height in 7 minutes with 2TC and 2 minutes of that is set up on the ground. 2TC is made to order for the environment I hunt in.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what you are doing with the rope climbing methods and it is a real benefit to the saddle hunter community. Your innovation and focus on safety are great. I just wish rope climbing were more applicable to these telephone pole trees I have.

Last edited:
I have to say, around here, with the trees I have 2TC just makes the most sense for me. I got into Drt a couple of years ago and bought 75 feet of Samson Predator and love to climb on ropes. It is fun and just feels safe. I set presets in big red oaks that year and wouldn't you know it. We had a terrible red oak crop, and I ended up not being able to use one of those spots. The biggest problem I was running into with rope climbing was that the trees in my area are like telephone poles. The first limb that I would trust to put my 150-pound weight on was usually at least 50 feet up. I can't tell you how many times I have thrown a thrown a throw ball over a limb only to discover my 75 feet of rope would just not cut it. Man, that's a tough feeling when I just spent 20 minutes making 10 throws to get over just the right limb. I strongly considered buying 120 feet of rope.

I used sticks last season and they were heavy and cumbersome, and I never felt safe climbing with them and a lineman's belt. Plus, it was taking me 15 minutes on average to get set up with sticks. Post season I went back and looked over all the trees I hunted last fall and decided that fully 95% I could have just as easily climbed using 2TC. This was out of around 80 hunts. I can be at hunting height in 7 minutes with 2TC and 2 minutes of that is set up on the ground. 2TC is made to order for the environment I hunt in.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what you are doing with the rope climbing methods and it is a real benefit to the saddle hunter community. Your innovation and focus on safety are great. I just wish rope climbing were more applicable to these telephone pole trees I have.

JRB has a hitch climbing method too. Telephone pole tree friendly. Albeit a bit more complicated to set up.

He talks about how he will sort of whip the hitch over the crotch. There is a video where he sends a hat over. It's probably a bit of an acquired technique, maybe worth practicing and feeling out the results.
Yea I do a flip over the crotch and only have had a handful of hiccups. And like I said, I don’t use the clips but I’m sure they help.

I like JRB for the hilly stuff I hunt where you gotta be about 35-40 ft up on the side of a hill to be able to be above the deer on the ridge. I wouldn’t want to 2TC 40 ft. I got a lots of tools in the bag though. Sometimes too many.

My 80' rope will be arriving this weekend so I'll finally be able to do my first JRB climb!

I like JRB for the hilly stuff I hunt where you gotta be about 35-40 ft up on the side of a hill to be able to be above the deer on the ridge. I wouldn’t want to 2TC 40 ft. I got a lots of tools in the bag though. Sometimes too many.

Are you pairing your platform with this method now? If so are you using a re-direct or swapping to a tether?

That's where JRB and I head separate ways. He has his homemade seat and hunts off his ropes. I'm no tarzan and need to be on a solid stand. So the details and experience of what works best for that transition are up to me (us) to figure out. I'd love to bend ears to that aspect, if anyone is platform hunting after a JRB climb, so maybe we can learn a nifty trick or two.

Are you pairing your platform with this method now? If so are you using a re-direct or swapping to a tether?

That's where JRB and I head separate ways. He has his homemade seat and hunts off his ropes. I'm no tarzan and need to be on a solid stand. So the details and experience of what works best for that transition are up to me (us) to figure out. I'd love to bend ears to that aspect, if anyone is platform hunting after a JRB climb, so maybe we can learn a nifty trick or two.
I really need/enjoy having a platform so will be checking out the transition methods...

Back