• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Methods

Bertfogle

Hey y’all so I am deciding to purchase my first saddle I have used climbing stands and ladder stands but I’ve never had a hang on stand. So I have watched tons of saddle hunting setups and I am not really sure which is the best route for me to go whether I should buy a set of sticks with a platform, buy one stick and use the one stick climbing method, or I have seen people use the lone wolf hand climber as their climbing and platform method. If y’all don’t mind to help out with suggestions and most cost friendly method! Thanks!!!

Hey y’all so I am deciding to purchase my first saddle I have used climbing stands and ladder stands but I’ve never had a hang on stand. So I have watched tons of saddle hunting setups and I am not really sure which is the best route for me to go whether I should buy a set of sticks with a platform, buy one stick and use the one stick climbing method, or I have seen people use the lone wolf hand climber as their climbing and platform method. If y’all don’t mind to help out with suggestions and most cost friendly method! Thanks!!!

I would probably go with the hawk or api sticks. Both are a pretty cost effective way to figure out if you like sticks or not. And you can also try one-sticking with them.

IMO, the most cost effective climbing method would be one stick climbing for the simple reason of you buy 1 stick and can climb up and down to any height without requiring any other gear . Of course you'll want to rappel down because it's easier, safer and way cool to do but you don't have to right away if funds are tight. The problem with one sticking is the learning curve. You'll need plenty of practice climbs to get the right sequence to make your way up and down efficiently. It does require some physical prowess, more flexibility than strength really, but if you've used a climbing stand then you can easily one stick climb. BTW, I used this method for the entire season last year and have yet to find a more versatile method.
Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard!

IMO, the most cost effective climbing method would be one stick climbing for the simple reason of you buy 1 stick and can climb up and down to any height without requiring any other gear . Of course you'll want to rappel down because it's easier, safer and way cool to do but you don't have to right away if funds are tight. The problem with one sticking is the learning curve. You'll need plenty of practice climbs to get the right sequence to make your way up and down efficiently. It does require some physical prowess, more flexibility than strength really, but if you've used a climbing stand then you can easily one stick climb. BTW, I used this method for the entire season last year and have yet to find a more versatile method.
Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard!
I was leaning hard on the one stick method I am pretty comfortable with the whole sequence and I will definitely be practicing a lot before opening day! I am pretty flexible and physically fit so i feel like maybe I won’t have such a disadvantage to it! I even thought with one stick I will have less weight and less to pack as well! What’s your thoughts on the Hawk Helium 20” sticks?

I would probably go with the hawk or api sticks. Both are a pretty cost effective way to figure out if you like sticks or not. And you can also try one-sticking with them.
I think I am going with the hawk Helium 20” Sticks!

IMO if u have never used sticks to climb before I would get whatever flavor of stick u want to buy and learn to climb safely and efficiently......if u decide to try single stick later after u gain some confidence u just gotta purchase the rappel gear and u ready.

I'm not familiar with sticks really, other than LW that I've had for many years. I use my own homemade diy sticks and a ROS. It's the easiest and lightest way to go.

I think I am going with the hawk Helium 20” Sticks!
I just got a set of the 20" Hawk Heliums from Mack's Prarie Wings for $109.99 with free shipping. Camofire has them sometimes as well. Some people have reported quality control issues with these sticks but mine were good. Add a set of cable aiders from @DanO and you'll be good to go. It's a great way to get started on a budget and you can just use one to one-stick if that's the way you decide to go.

As you are new to climbing without a climber and saddles, I would recommend:

Checking out the saddle hunter map and see if there is anyone close by to see their gear and how it is used. And reach out to him/her/them.

Check to see if Tethrd has a teach and train near you. And attend if you can.

Check here to see if any upcoming saddle get togethers will be near you. And attend if you can.

Look at getting a complete kit (saddle, tether, lineman’s belt with carabiners) and a platform from the established players.
Out on a limb, aero hunter, tethrd, etc. ...
Don’t try and piece it together by yourself.

Standard set of sticks with double steps, e.g., hawk helium for low cost, out on a limb, etc.

Use these out of the box and try to not get caught up in the hype of mods, single stick, srt / drt, no stick, etc. ...
And not get caught up in the hype of what others are claiming.

There will always be time to update / customize your gear and climbing methods as you gain experience and find out what works for you. Plus, if you start out with out of the box gear, and later decide to change things up, you will actually experience the delta of using different / diy equipment. And the second hand market is pretty solid.

Another thing to consider is a transport system, backpack, to carry all your gear.

Good luck.

I started saddlehunting this spring. Well,saddle climbing really. I bought rope for a DRT climb which will not work in the dark without presets. @Redbeard posted a great video on using your platform with aiders as a climbing method. I had never used sticks or a platform before and it didn't take long to figure it out. This might turn out to be my preferred method now. I can use my DRT rope to rappel down. I would not want to climb down the same way i went up,but i imagine that also becomes easier with practice.

Well if you are somewhat in shape you can use just ropes.. with ascenders.. mechanical or prusik hitch one for your hand and one for foot ... prusik work great for also descending... and are just the cost of the prusik rope.. youtube just saddle tree climbing and arborist to get different styles.
if a little if-ee use Sticks and a single rope for safety and you can practice options.. and descending just on main line rope or safety rope.

If I were going to one stick I wouldnt use Helium 20's. Too short. I would get the longest stick I could get. In my unprofessional opinion.
Cmon! I showed you my mini stick (not that way) smaller is better! It’s easier to maneuver around. Add your two step aider and you’re good to go. BB44A2E9-26EC-4E81-8551-C86F7566F5DA.png5BE198CA-EA13-48D7-B949-861546696B39.png

Cmon! I showed you my mini stick (not that way) smaller is better! It’s easier to maneuver around. Add your two step aider and you’re good to go. View attachment 30358View attachment 30359
This true but you wouldnt even let me try it. LOL just kidding. I do have a tree I am going to use 2 of my Heliums on but I want you to show me how to use an aider sometime whenever you get time. I think it would be perfect for 2 Heliums with an aider on each one.

If you are hunting private land....preset trees with bolts. They are very cheap and easy to use.

Sticks would be second for ease of use and cost.

WE stepps are also a great option if packability is something you are after. They take a little bit to get used to but once you have them figured out they are very slick. Dont use the knaider/swaider right off the bat.

I've tried all three of these methods in my search of the ultimate climbing method. I too got started one sticking this year and it will most likely be my primary way to climb.

I'm not familiar with sticks really, other than LW that I've had for many years. I use my own homemade diy sticks and a ROS. It's the easiest and lightest way to go.
I wish I was crafty enough to diy my own sticks I would probably wind up on my head if I tried to make my own!! Lol

As you are new to climbing without a climber and saddles, I would recommend:

Checking out the saddle hunter map and see if there is anyone close by to see their gear and how it is used. And reach out to him/her/them.

Check to see if Tethrd has a teach and train near you. And attend if you can.

Check here to see if any upcoming saddle get togethers will be near you. And attend if you can.

Look at getting a complete kit (saddle, tether, lineman’s belt with carabiners) and a platform from the established players.
Out on a limb, aero hunter, tethrd, etc. ...
Don’t try and piece it together by yourself.

Standard set of sticks with double steps, e.g., hawk helium for low cost, out on a limb, etc.

Use these out of the box and try to not get caught up in the hype of mods, single stick, srt / drt, no stick, etc. ...
And not get caught up in the hype of what others are claiming.

There will always be time to update / customize your gear and climbing methods as you gain experience and find out what works for you. Plus, if you start out with out of the box gear, and later decide to change things up, you will actually experience the delta of using different / diy equipment. And the second hand market is pretty solid.

Another thing to consider is a transport system, backpack, to carry all your gear.

Good luck.
They did have a Tethrd training near me not too long ago but of course I was camping so I missed it but I’ll definitely look into SH meet up thank you!!!

I am buying all my stuff from Tethrd other than my sticks of course and I am going with the predator platform just because I feel like it’s a safe option instead of right out of the gate trying to make a tree seat work as a platform was making me a little iffey! Thank you for all your advice!

I'm new as well so I don't have the experience of the other people, but I've been blesses to buy and try SRT/DRT, helium 20", Wild edge Stepps and tree gaffs and I still haven't decided what is my favorite method yet. I haven't tried one sticking yet. They all have there disadvantages and perks. Good luck. Your not alone in this quest for the best way to climb.

Back