• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing spikes

powerfudge

Hey guys,

I'm really considering climbing spikes as my main method of climbing. I have never used tree spikes before, but I really like the idea of how light and versatile that they are. Just a question to some of you tree spike pros. What are your favorite type of tree climbing spikes and what would you recommend to a newbie like myself? Just looking for as much information as I can find before I bite the bullet and pick up a pair.

There are many manufacturers along with several different pad options. Some light, some heavy. Research,purchase and practice. You'll be proficient in no time. And don't worry about the trees. They will be fine.

$300 for Climb Rite aluminum spurs with aluminum pads. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$300 for Climb Rite aluminum spurs with aluminum pads. Yikes.

Does anyone have a link to Climb Rite Aluminum Spurs w/ Aluminum pads? I cannot seem to find them with the aluminum pad option. Thanks in advance. (Also, in reading up about other options, I see that Gecko's are rated to 240lbs. I'm right at that limit an over with gear....i'm guessing not a good idea to ignore that rating but wanted thoughts) . Thanks all.

Does anyone have a link to Climb Rite Aluminum Spurs w/ Aluminum pads? I cannot seem to find them with the aluminum pad option. Thanks in advance. (Also, in reading up about other options, I see that Gecko's are rated to 240lbs. I'm right at that limit an over with gear....i'm guessing not a good idea to ignore that rating but wanted thoughts) . Thanks all.

I'm in that 250 pound range before gear too.

I just googled them and found them. The aluminum pads have a green color. It might not say aluminum pad but you can see it.

Half the weight, double the price :tearsofjoy:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ah, got ya. Sarcasm noted. Yeah, I just looked them up. They look sweet, but...gulp...

Are there a lot of guys on here using them?

Ah, got ya. Sarcasm noted. Yeah, I just looked them up. They look sweet, but...gulp...

Are there a lot of guys on here using them?

I don't. Most notable are g2 and ernie

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3.7 lbs. 20 ft. 30 ft. Whatever you want for the weight of a Kestrel and Geckos. Sounds pretty sweet. Too bad I wouldn't be able to use them in many places.

I think they use the climb rite aluminum. I may be wrong.

I have always had the geckos, but I have an older generation than what's available now. Mine aren't adjustable and don't have the rubber pad on the bottom.

G2 just sold his aluminum set to buy a set of geckos this spring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have always had the geckos, but I have an older generation than what's available now. Mine aren't adjustable and don't have the rubber pad on the bottom.

G2 just sold his aluminum set to buy a set of geckos this spring.

I see. Thanks E. I should have known G2 would have the latest and greatest. He can use them down there. Thought he was hunting public.

3.7 lbs. 20 ft. 30 ft. Whatever you want for the weight of a Kestrel and Geckos. Sounds pretty sweet. Too bad I wouldn't be able to use them in many places.

I'm at 3# for the set with all my mods.

Back