• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing spur veterans

tider

I’m not trying to open a can of worms.....but have a question regarding the damage or lack of damage done to trees.

Every website that I go to says spurs damage and possibly kill the trees. And only to climb trees that are dead or you’re planning on cutting down.

Their logic being, if you’re breaking the cambium barrier on the tree and release sap, then you allow disease an entry way to the tree.

For those of you that have been climbing for awhile , do you have a test tree that you have climbed several times over a period of time to see if there’s any damage. Or how many times have you climbed the same tree over the years.

I know the ideal thing to do would be just to climb a different tree every time you hunt. Where I hunt it is very thick and you might have to climb the same tree a few times.

I just purchased my first set of spurs (climb right aluminum) and I’m getting ready to mod them out. I’m excited and looking forward to be able to hunt with spurs this season , but just have a few concerns.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to spurs as well. I've heard that making many repeat climbs could kill the tree, but I believe that to be true with climbers and wild edge steps because they both do about the same amount of damage.

I have a poplar tree in my dads yards that I have spurred the crap out of the past couple years. Still seems to be fine. I honestly don't think they do any more damage than most other climbing methods. I can tell you right now that a Wild Edge step tears up a maple tree worse than my spikes! I think if you are only climbing that tree 1-2 times a year I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to be hunting a tree over and over i'd find another way to climb it. @huck72412 and @WHW have used spurs for years and years and haven't seen a tree die from it as far as I know.

That’s what I was wondering. We have a 1100 acre lease and I can see the possibility of climbing a tree more than twice in a season. I guess the plan will be if I hunt the same tree more than twice I will just use sticks.

I really don’t see it killing the tree but I’ll probably err on the side of caution this first year.

Has anybody seen firsthand evidence of spurs that ever killed a tree?

I couldn't begin to tell you how many trees that I've climbed with spurs in the last 45 years. But, I assure you it's been a bunch. I can only remember one tree that I found dead a few years after I had climbed it. And, I really don't know if the spurs killed it or something else.

I've had the opportunity to hunt a property, for the last few years, that the owner hunted for years with spurs. During the time I've been hunting there, I've seen countless big, beautiful oak trees with spur scars on them. Several that I found amazing how many time they had been climbed year after year. Had to have been his favorite killing trees. All these trees (oaks as well as others varieties) are in great condition and most important.... the oaks are still producing acorns.

With that said..... If I believe that if I'm only going to hunt a tree one time I'll use my spurs. If I believe I'm going to hunt a tree two or more times I'll use the drill and bolt method. Once a tree is drilled it's just so easy to insert bolts as you climb.

Last edited:
mixed debate on this one. I have seen what I consider just as much or more damage made from climbing tree stands.

This is what a spike hole in a maple tree looks like. Not really what I would consider “damage”
df2e88893bb4a5caca5a7f67901a6968.png

I couldn't begin to tell you how many trees that I've climbed with spurs in the last 45 years. But, I assure you it's been a bunch. I can only remember one tree that I found dead a few years after I had climbed it. And, I really don't know if the spurs killed it or something else.

I've had the opportunity to hunt a property, for the last few years, that the owner hunted for years with spurs. During the time I've been hunting there, I've seen countless big, beautiful oak trees with spur scars on them. Several that I found amazing how many time they had been climbed year after year. Had to have been his favorite killing trees. All these trees (oaks as well as others varieties) are in great condition and most important.... the oaks are still producing acorns.

With that said..... If I believe that if I'm only going to hunt a tree one time I'll use my spurs. If I believe I'm going to hunt a tree two or more times I'll use the drill and bolt method. Once a tree is drilled it's just so easy to insert bolts as you climb.

Thank you. This is what I was wanting to see. . I’ve been trying to wrap my head around how a small hole in a tree is going to kill a several year old tree. It’s not like it’s penetrating deep into the tree.

I’ll be doing plenty experimenting this year. I’ll pick out one trash tree that I’ll climb repeatedly and watch it and report if I see any change over next couple years.

I am a former certified arborist and a tree hugger from way back. :smirk: I only worry about pines in an area prone to pine beetle infestations. The leaking sap can attract them from an incredible distance. That's not something you want moving into your neck of the woods. The same goes for pruning limbs on pines. I only do it when I have no other reasonable options.

I am a former certified arborist and a tree hugger from way back. :smirk: I only worry about pines in an area prone to pine beetle infestations. The leaking sap can attract them from an incredible distance. That's not something you want moving into your neck of the woods. The same goes for pruning limbs on pines. I only do it when I have no other reasonable options.

I love this guy telling us what we want to hear!

I think this is the exact correct answer. I think pines are the problem and heck I don’t want to climb those nasty things if I don’t have to.

I have one red oak next to my camp that I’ve climbed bunches of times to practice shooting and the marks all end up healing up.

What do you think happens to these trees when you trim big branches off? That leaves a much bigger wound than spurs do and it usually heals up. There is always a chance you’re going to climb a tree that has a health problem to begin with. That tree might die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back