• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Spurs

wyearby

Anyone here use spurs to climb? Looking for some pros and cons. Other than tree damage, doesn't seem to be much of a down side

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

In my book there is no downside...they are quick quiet and lightweight...the learning curve is not very steep at all...practice at ground level to 5 or 6 feet high until you get used to them...practice putting your platform on the tree at 5 or 6 feet also...no need to rush the learning process and trying to learn at 20 feet in the air...you can accomplish the same thing at a very low height...I don't see where the spikes do any more damage than a climber or even camming your platform into the tree...I drill holes in maple trees every year to put taps in for making maple syrup and these trees are still very healthy after 23 years of doing this...I am not a tree biologist though so it's just my opinion from experience... flinginairos has the best video on youtube for using spurs as a saddle hunting climbing method...The best part for me is rappelling down afterward...LOL...best of luck

The down side is they aren’t legal in many state public lands. Also someone said they are quiet I disagree. They definitely make more noise than rope systems but less noise than hanging sticks. They are without a doubt the most efficient way up a tree. As Pik said practice extensively at ground level. Learn to properly use your linesman rope and take an extra (or you can use your tether, to help go around limbs when you encounter them. Also I recommend climbing above where you want to set your platform, set your tether first, that way you don’t accidentally spike into your platform strap in the dark and you have your tether set in case you cut out setting the platform.

The down side is they aren’t legal in many state public lands. Also someone said they are quiet I disagree. They definitely make more noise than rope systems but less noise than hanging sticks. They are without a doubt the most efficient way up a tree. As Pik said practice extensively at ground level. Learn to properly use your linesman rope and take an extra (or you can use your tether, to help go around limbs when you encounter them. Also I recommend climbing above where you want to set your platform, set your tether first, that way you don’t accidentally spike into your platform strap in the dark and you have your tether set in case you cut out setting the platform.
What did you find noisy about using the spurs?...thnx in advance

Negatives for me are:

Gaff outs
Hard to put back on at height
Having to hang more junk in the tree
Punching holes in pants
Like you said, tree damage

What did you find noisy about using the spurs?...thnx in advance
The noise it makes as you step into the tree this will vary depending on the hardness of the tree you climb. The bark that kicks off of loose bark trees as you climb. And the accidental clang that can be made as you step on the platform (doesn’t happen often but does occasionally happen). like I said the noise potential is not nearly that of using sticks but definitely more noise than preset Ddrt climbs

No offense, but you must need more practice...
LOL...I have been trying to think of how to reply with respect and kindness...You Mr Phatkaw just accomplished that very thing...Peace All

No offense, but you must need more practice...
In his defense I’ve never met a man that climbs that has never gaffed out. I never poked holes in my pants but I did step right into the strap holding my platform in the dark one time :sweatsmile:
I don’t have trouble putting them on at height but I do clang metal on metal occasionally, and it is definitely more crap to hang while in the tree but I hang my back pack and rope, so I usually hang my spikes off my back pack strap so it’s not accidentally banged around if I walk the back side of the tree for a shot.

In his defense I’ve never met a man that climbs that has never gaffed out. I never poked holes in my pants but I did step right into the strap holding my platform in the dark one time :sweatsmile:
I don’t have trouble putting them on at height but I do clang metal on metal occasionally, and it is definitely more crap to hang while in the tree but I hang my back pack and rope, so I usually hang my spikes off my back pack strap so it’s not accidentally banged around if I walk the back side of the tree for a shot.
I dont put them back on at height...rappelling is too badass not to do it!...a gaff out is no big deal really...yes my spurs are attached to my backpack at height too so there isnt any more stuff on the tree ...I just take my time and pay attention so there is no clanging...and I have them stealth wrapped and my platform is paracorded...They aint for everybody for sure...I have gotten very attached to mine...lol...peace

I dont put them back on at height...rappelling is too badass not to do it!...a gaff out is no big deal really...yes my spurs are attached to my backpack at height too so there isnt any more stuff on the tree ...I just take my time and pay attention so there is no clanging...and I have them stealth wrapped and my platform is paracorded...They aint for everybody for sure...I have gotten very attached to mine...lol...peace
I never said I don’t like them as a climbing method. In fact when I am allowed to use hooks, they are my go to method. However I hunt 85 to 90 % of my hunts on public land where it isn’t legal. For those instances I take my ropes. Rappelling is easy but so is ascending via Ddrt or Srt. If I climb on spikes, I also climb down on them otherwise I’d be taking rope and if I am carrying that extra rope and rappelling gear, I might as well just save the extra 3 or 4 lbs (for my spikes) and just climb with ropes. I do appreciate different perspectives but the OP asked for potential up and down sides. Noise for me is a down side as is limited use opportunity. I also can’t fault a man for what he sees as positives or negatives. Everyone has different comfort levels. Gaffing out sucks for me. It doesn’t happen often but I also won’t lie and say it never does or it’s no big deal. Gaffing out is noisy, usually you’re scratched up and if someone isn’t using their linesman rope correctly or a tree squeeze they could end up going for a fall. Those are true negatives. I probably used hooks more than nearly everyone on this site (there are a few other line workers and arborist on here that might have been in the industry longer than me) but ask any of them if they prefer hooks or a bucket truck and I bet you get bucket truck as the answer 9 out of 10 times lol when the new wears off, climbing is just climbing. As with any method there are upsides and down sides to everything. Ok I am done hi jacking this thread :sweatsmile:

Pretty much Everything takes some practice to get good at.

First time I tried 2TC my fingers were kinda mangled from work and I waited a while.
The second time I tried I ended upside-down! o_O

When good weather gets here I'm gonna try it some more...

Last edited:
I never said I don’t like them as a climbing method. In fact when I am allowed to use hooks, they are my go to method. However I hunt 85 to 90 % of my hunts on public land where it isn’t legal. For those instances I take my ropes. Rappelling is easy but so is ascending via Ddrt or Srt. If I climb on spikes, I also climb down on them otherwise I’d be taking rope and if I am carrying that extra rope and rappelling gear, I might as well just save the extra 3 or 4 lbs (for my spikes) and just climb with ropes. I do appreciate different perspectives but the OP asked for potential up and down sides. Noise for me is a down side as is limited use opportunity. I also can’t fault a man for what he sees as positives or negatives. Everyone has different comfort levels. Gaffing out sucks for me. It doesn’t happen often but I also won’t lie and say it never does or it’s no big deal. Gaffing out is noisy, usually you’re scratched up and if someone isn’t using their linesman rope correctly or a tree squeeze they could end up going for a fall. Those are true negatives. I probably used hooks more than nearly everyone on this site (there are a few other line workers and arborist on here that might have been in the industry longer than me) but ask any of them if they prefer hooks or a bucket truck and I bet you get bucket truck as the answer 9 out of 10 times lol when the new wears off, climbing is just climbing. As with any method there are upsides and down sides to everything. Ok I am done hi jacking this thread :sweatsmile:
Now thats an awesome idea...Bucket truck as a climbing method!!...of course there would be some downside to that also...lol...Have an awesome day guys and stay safe!

Every climbing method has its pro's and con's. I really like my spurs but I go slow. Even though I FEEL like I could run up the tree its not about speed for me. However, its not my main climbing method but one I keep handy. They are not the lightest way to get up a tree either so I only use them for specific trees or areas I know I'd rather climb with them.

I bought a set of Buckingham spurs at a local pawn shop a few years ago and gave them a try when I was still in that Lease. I could not get the hang of them (pun intended). I think I got the tree gaffs and not the pole gaffs but I may be mistaken. I have since talked to a few linemen and they all have cut out stories and the guy running or fiber optic lines said he gaffed his ankle once.

Now that I hunt mostly public land, they are not legal for there, so they have definitely been on the back burner. I'm sure if I got out and practiced, I could get used to them eventually but when I was trying, I never could get more than one step up. I love the idea of gaffs and just walking up the tree. It has just been the least workable method for me personally.

Back