• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing stick question, seeking advice?

Tim W

First part of my question and advice seeking:

1. Is there any updates on the rumored "Beast" climbing sticks?
2. I like the Hawk Heliums and DaveT's mod, but Hawk sticks can't be found right now and will have to wait anyway... Does anyone know when all the options for climbing sticks will be available this year??

Advice seeking:
Bare with me while I try to lay this out as short as possible to read through.. So, I'm new to saddle hunting (have a kestrel on order). Up until now I've hunted from lockons and climbers, the motivation for my quest to find a "better way" was driven due to lower back problems, as I have a couple bulging discs and I read some of the threads where guys said hunting from a saddle was a huge relief for their back problems. (I think I've got this problem remedied with the purchase of the Kestrel..?)

This year I've been plagued with injuries and the kicker was tearing my patellar tendon, resulting in knee surgery at the end of October (2 weeks prior to my OH bowhunt). Luckily I'm still in decent shape and my knee was weight baring immediately after surgery. However, part of the recovery process restricted me from bending the knee at all for 6 weeks. This eliminated using the climber, I've been using the LW sticks but due to the alternating steps they were out of the question, I was physically able to climb a ladder and the property I hunt had several set up but they were positioned more for gun season. (Don't get me wrong, I was lucky to even be able to hunt and enjoy the woods.) Knowing what I was and was not capable of doing, this got me researching different climbing methods, but being this late in the game I could not find a Helium or Muddy stick to save my life (the double steps would have made it possible to climb without bending my knee), so I made due with hunting the preset ladder stands or hunting from the ground.

I enjoyed the opportunity to hunt, but this lead me to the purpose of this writing: What climbing method can I utilize that I could modify if needed to accommodate an injury/disability or similar situation that may arise in the future???

So my question is this: Has anyone dealt with something similar and how did you adapt and overcome the problem to enable you hunt similarly to your normal routine/hunting setup? Thanks for taking the time to read this and please share any ideas or tips you may have.

Had a friend who had a broken leg so he had to hunt from the ground. We need legs to climb so I am not sure there are good answers.
With some leg problems steps close together might work. I wish you lived in southern Ontario I could have lent you some double step sticks. Not my muddy pro but some other muddy double step sticks that are too heavy for me.
Muddy pro sticks with the double step and because they are close together would work for some with minor leg flexibility issues.
WE steps placed close together might work too for minor knee problems. I you could climb a ladder stand you could probably use any of these products.
Also you could hunt trees with good cover and just need a bit of height.

I emailed Hawk on their helium sticks. They said May for availablity.

I would go with the Muddy pro steps. They will not be available until around spring or later.

I would go with the Muddy pro steps. They will not be available until around spring or later.

Is there a reason you prefer the Muddy Pro over the Hawk Helium? Just curious... I've read a lot of the threads and it appears it's all personal preference, but I haven't had the opportunity handle either option to compare?? Thx

Muddy is ready to go and heavier.
Hawk is lighter and better if it is modified
I have both.
Three modified helium sticks give you more height - 15 inches. Weigh over 2 pounds less
And with a cam cleat added or a rope modification they are as easy and quiet to attach as a muddy
A unmodified helium compared to a muddy pro - I prefer the muddy
A helium with a cam cleat does not stack as well as with a lone wolf button and rope modification.
But with a cam cleat I find it is easier to place the stick higher on the tree.
What is best depends on how high you want your sticks.
Cam Cleats are simple and slightly quicker to attach but both ways are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Muddy is ready to go and heavier.
Hawk is lighter and better if it is modified
I have both.
Three modified helium sticks give you more height - 15 inches. Weigh over 2 pounds less
And with a cam cleat added or a rope modification they are as easy and quiet to attach as a muddy
Not modified I prefer the muddy

Thanks, makes sense what you are saying. Based on all I've read I was thinking the same..? I'm torn between the two, but the price of the Heliums are very appealing and to modify looks pretty simple.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting to see the Beast option and leaning toward Heliums if i can get my hands on them. I just got a sit drag and will start on mods for it soon too. I was pleasantly surprised with the 2 hunts out of my modified summit viper seat i made into a saddle. Interested to see which way you go too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think the Muddy would be easier to carry because they are smaller. With an aider you should be able to get to a height of 5' to 5'6" per stick. That should get you up to at least 20 feet if not more.

Just food for thought. I had 3 sticks out last night looking them over; an unmodified lone wolf, a modified hawk helium and a muddy pro. The hawk is the lightest, but if I cut down a lone wolf it would be, but wouldn't have a top double step. As is, the muddy pro's are the heaviest, but 3 of them probably pack up tighter than the other ones. Having them all side by side actually made me realize that the heliums don't have the most compact profile.

Just food for thought. I had 3 sticks out last night looking them over; an unmodified lone wolf, a modified hawk helium and a muddy pro. The hawk is the lightest, but if I cut down a lone wolf it would be, but wouldn't have a top double step. As is, the muddy pro's are the heaviest, but 3 of them probably pack up tighter than the other ones. Having them all side by side actually made me realize that the heliums don't have the most compact profile.

I know a guy that can and does have 6 double steps that could and would work on those lone wolf sticks.

I think the Muddy would be easier to carry because they are smaller. With an aider you should be able to get to a height of 5' to 5'6" per stick. That should get you up to at least 20 feet if not more.

With an adjustable aider you will get over 6 ft per stick

I know a guy that can and does have 6 double steps that could and would work on those lone wolf sticks.

If you are selling pm me. I call dibs

Actually, I'm not even sure what direction I want to go. But if you are willing to let them go we can talk.

Last edited:

I would agree helium’s do not pack as well. If you face two sticks opposite each other they pack better. The third stick not as well
I have wondered how heavy a cut down lone wolf with a bow hunter 15 step would weigh

I measured two climbs with my modified helium sticks last week. Two sticks got me to 14 feet with an adjustable aider. I am 5 foot 10 and 60 years old.

Each stick. 30 inches plus 30 plus 23. Or 7 feet roughly per stick with winter clothes on
At 30 inches per aider I did not have my lineman’s belt as tight to the tree as I like.
That was with no previous practice.
I did not use a ropeman but my aider was adjustable> It was my easy aider and it was attached to the top of my stick.

Try putting your foot on a 30 desk lifting your foot straight up. It is very difficult unless you pull your foot up with your arms. It is easily doable using assistance from an aider or using my arms. I think I was getting closer to 32 inches on the first aider stepbut my foot was cinched into the aider at ground level first. My second step onto the stick was probably 28 inches. I only measured the total height gain for two sticks which was 14 feet.
You will get 5 inches less with a muddy stick or ten inches less with two sticks because muddy sticks are shorter.

The limiting factor with the Red aider method is will you be able to tether your aider above your stick.
A tether is not necessary if you simply attach it to the top of the stick and it is fairly easy to put the aider on the top of the stick when the stick is 7 feet to the top step.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. I thought I was getting some of these?

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Let me know if you want them.

I’ve had a few guys ask about these steps I had made.
I will put it out there: it cost me $75 to make a set of 6 steps. I’m not sure if anyone can beat price. I can sell them for that + shipping. I’m not making a dime but giving the guy some work. Pm me

Back