• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing sticks as a platform???

Gary330

SH Member
New saddle hunter here! Have my kestrel flex shipping in early july and some wild edge steps ordered but who knows when they will ship. Im planning on using 2 wild edge steps as my platform but now im wondering if anyone is using the top of their climing stick as their platform? I am tempted to cancel the steps and order some sticks instead but not sure how comfortable the stick will be for long periods. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have and do on occasion. If you carry a stick with you you can set it behind the stick on top of the stand off and be more comfortable. You just have to be careful not to knock it off when you move around. I have a 2x2 x18 piece of oak I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild Edge has there own platform. I believe it is named The Perch. I don't have one but there are some reviews on SaddleHunter. Be careful using a step as a platform, they do not like side pressure.

I should have said most climbing stix not step. Wild Edge steps work fine as a platform or ring of steps once you learn how to cam them over.

Thanks for the replys. Artisan outdoors looks to have a pretty cool product. Also i had not thought of fitting a piece of wood somehow behind the top step to use. Thats seems like a great cheap option to try. I am a woodworker so that is right up my alley. Love this forum. So many people with great ideas.

You can effectively climb a tree with a rope and a piece of wood like a climber if you want. Then use it as a platform once on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can stand comfortably for a long time on these cheap sportsmans guide sticks (here). They have a super large stand off and my size 11 boots have plenty of room. I cannot however do the same with my lonewolf sticks. They are just too tight to the tree for me to be comfortable for a long hang.

@Gary330 I haven’t sat in a flex. Based on My time in many similar saddles I would say you will want more than just the top of a stick. Don’t get me wrong the artisan stick platform is nice. It would be great on short hunts where you know where the shot will be. I would have no problem using one that way near a food plot where I had a thick tree blocking my weak side from having a possible shot. I would never rely on it as my primary platform.

Last year when I first started out in a saddle, while I was waiting for my predator to show up, I used my LW sticks a couple of times. I’m normally only about 2 sticks up with aiders high, so I brought my 2 extra sticks and set one on each side of my top stick. It worked while I was waiting for my platform to come in. It’s doable, but you will want a long term solution. If I had a double step on the top of one or two sticks it would work better, but the feet do get tired if you are more of a leaner.

01B034DA-905E-4FF2-B8D9-3344096142AE.jpegC1380D68-E600-4458-AECC-37002B441ED7.jpegIt depends on what your preference is, I don’t love a platform. I used a double top step w/ 2 we stepps on either side. Then last year ended up w/ beast sticks w/ a custom top step from the above link. That w/ a few ameristeps on a boat buckle at same height is very comfortable for me. When I’m in JX3 it’s way more enjoyable all day. But I can definitely do 4-5 hrs no prob in my kite same setup, if your a full time leaner get a platform. I alternate enough so I don’t mind.

Back