• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Sticks.... Which ones to get?

Letemgrowitllshow

I'm in the market for climbing sticks. I had some hawk mini sticks but the packability wasn't there so I'm moving on...

I still would like to get some but am torn between a few options. I want a set of sticks that have good foot room so I can get more than just a toe on the step. Looking for a double step. I like the idea of having a stick with minimal moving parts.

Most important of all to me is the packability. If it doesn't pack in good I'm not bringing it. I'm sure that I'll be dishing out some chips, but for a good quality set, I think it's worth the money. I'm a couple miles from the truck. I want gear that I can rely on.

All that said, what sticks should I go with? I like the looks of the 22" featherlight sticks from EWO. I just don't know how well they stack.

I’m curious about this topic too as I am considering cutting down my (formerly 3 step) Heliums from 26” to 15”.

but if you’re already at 20” heliums ( running all 4?), how are you packing them that isn’t suiting you? Is it a weight thing?

In going to more offset from the tree you'll obviously sacrifice compactness when stacking. The problem with the Beast sticks (I haven't handled EWO/really know much about them) is they can't be stacked tube-to-tube. See photo below. This gap in the offset makes for me negates any weight savings over Heliums because they just take up too much friggin space. My Heliums and patent pending stacking method have a much smaller gap in the offset and stack a lot tighter in addition to the folding steps.

It looks like Tethrd's new sticks to their credit solved this problem by offsetting them for stacking (but that does add to the length). However judging by the photos they will be twinkie toes climbers.

1o4ah40.jpg

ZC2R8Xu.jpg

I’m curious about this topic too as I am considering cutting down my (formerly 3 step) Heliums from 26” to 15”.

but if you’re already at 20” heliums ( running all 4?), how are you packing them that isn’t suiting you? Is it a weight thing?
Not a weight thing. I carry 3 of them. Don't usually hunt to high so 3 sticks works for me. Have a carry as you go aider to get extra height with the first stick and so on if I need it. I didn't really care for the suction cups on the hawk sticks. I've been packing them individually since they don't stack to well without the cups.

The folding steps are nice, but I don't think they are necessary. I'd rather have a solid double step. One less thing to worry about.

I really like my mission platform from Trophyline so packing that with sticks is a bit to figure out.

In going to more offset from the tree you'll obviously sacrifice compactness when stacking. The problem with the Beast sticks (I haven't handled EWO/really know much about them) is they can't be stacked tube-to-tube. See photo below. This gap in the offset makes for me negates any weight savings over Heliums because they just take up too much friggin space. My Heliums and patent pending stacking method have a much smaller gap in the offset and stack a lot tighter in addition to the folding steps.

It looks like Tethrd's new sticks to their credit solved this problem by offsetting them for stacking (but that does add to the length). However judging by the photos they will be twinkie toes climbers.

1o4ah40.jpg

ZC2R8Xu.jpg
How thick is that if you measure from tree bracket to step when they are in transport? Do you like the beast sticks? I've thought about getting those too but not sure if it's better to have sticks that stack like beast sticks and have a thicker stack of sticks vs. offset like I imaging the EWO sticks would be. They'd be less thick but end up being longer.....

From what I know, the Shikar are the most compact stacker with double steps. But they are expensive at around 90 each. The best bang for your buck is the Novix minis which at 4 sticks come under 6 lbs total at $160, but there are deals around if you look. You can always buy double steps from EWO to replace the top step if you really like a large surface. I'm new to saddle hunting too, was using borrowed WE steps with aider but I decided to go buy a set of XOP short sticks. I really like their locking system, that they are 1 inch farther from the tree than Novix, are 1/8 tubes instead of 1/16, and I think being a few oz heavier is worth it (plus you can shaves off a few oz with some mods). They are on sale for $120 at eders.com if you are interested. Timber Ninja have sticks that are carbon fiber that is around 1 lb each if you really want high end and light weight.

There is also LWCG doublestep sticks if you want to run aiders.

This is probably one of the better straighforward comparision video out there. Doesnt have the XOP, but in general the steps are bigger and I like how they are shape better than LW/Novix

How thick is that if you measure from tree bracket to step when they are in transport? Do you like the beast sticks? I've thought about getting those too but not sure if it's better to have sticks that stack like beast sticks and have a thicker stack of sticks vs. offset like I imaging the EWO sticks would be. They'd be less thick but end up being longer.....

I got to play with a set of Beast sticks, don't own them. The Heliums are mine.

Pros for the beast sticks for me....bigger steps, more offset from the tree. That tree bracket grips to the tree as well as any stick I've tried.

Cons. Stacking, stacking, stacking. 3 are noticeably a lot more bulky than my Heliums.

I got to play with a set of Beast sticks, don't own them. The Heliums are mine.

Pros for the beast sticks for me....bigger steps, more offset from the tree. That tree bracket grips to the tree as well as any stick I've tried.

Cons. Stacking, stacking, stacking. 3 are noticeably a lot more bulky than my Heliums.
Huge beast stick fan here and I agree with everything you said. I have the JX-3 so they pack perfectly on the frame. But, if I was carrying them along with a normal saddle, I can definitely see your point. Based on the OPs statements about bulk/packability, I would not recommend them for the OP.

If you can handle giving up the double step, which is a big ask, Novix minis pack super small for relatively inexpensive sticks. Side stacking is awesome.
2b62a7495ee416f522897c5f0459bbcc.jpg
d57811161e2c5a15e8bb6b1875728a18.jpg

From what I know, the Shikar are the most compact stacker with double steps. But they are expensive at around 90 each. The best bang for your buck is the Novix minis which at 4 sticks come under 6 lbs total at $160, but there are deals around if you look. You can always buy double steps from EWO to replace the top step if you really like a large surface. I'm new to saddle hunting too, was using borrowed WE steps with aider but I decided to go buy a set of XOP short sticks. I really like their locking system, that they are 1 inch farther from the tree than Novix, are 1/8 tubes instead of 1/16, and I think being a few oz heavier is worth it (plus you can shaves off a few oz with some mods). They are on sale for $120 at eders.com if you are interested. Timber Ninja have sticks that are carbon fiber that is around 1 lb each if you really want high end and light weight.

There is also LWCG doublestep sticks if you want to run aiders.
How far from the tree do you get with the xop sticks? Also seems like there is some wasted space on the bottom of the stick with the standoff lower than the step

How far from the tree do you get with the xop sticks? Also seems like there is some wasted space on the bottom of the stick with the standoff lower than the step

Yup. Im planning to cut the 2 in off the bottom of each steps. Plus im going to drill holes like the Beast sticks because since its 1/8 tubing the integrity is going to be ok. With a 20 in aider. I get 6 ft each step.

Back