• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing trees, Coming full circle

MNFarmHunter

First off, let me begin that climbing trees is as much a hobby for me as it is a method to hunt.

In the beginning, everyone uses sticks. They're simple and get you in the tree. After that, everyone looks for the newer, shinier, more betterer option. Out of that comes SRT, DRT, JRB, 1-stick, 2TC, platform and every other possible option.

Being a hobby, I love trying these different methods and see the advantages (and disadvantages) of every method. I also see the abject stubbornness in people to push or champion a method due to their particular investment in their chosen climbing method. I'm no different but have the unique ability to step outside myself and criticize what I'm doing so here it is.

2TC: I am a firm believer that everyone needs to know how to self-rescue. This is solely due to my professional life in that "rescue" is a feel good word and most times it's nothing more that preventing a given situation from getting worse. 2TC will get you out of 99% of situations you find yourself in. It is also a valid ascending method but it's maybe the 2nd most inefficient method.

SRT/DRT/JRB/Similar: IMO, rope techniques are the most efficient method to climb and descend but take specialized training, skills and/or pre-season setup. This is my preferred method to climb and descend but only with presets due to the types of trees in my area. This is also a Ford v. Chevy argument. I see SRT, especially base anchoring, as the simplest and safest method. Others will argue otherwise. Point being is to cut through the menusha and the biased hype and use what works best for your area.

1-Stick: Same minimalist mindset minus the ability to self-rescue using this method. IMO, it's more inefficient that 2TC but like most things, this is my opinion.

This leads back to sticks. Having not done any preseason scouting and thus no preseason presets, I'm finding multi-sticks being a far simpler solution to 2TC. While 2TC is always an option, sticks are simply easier to climb, albeit with a weight penalty.

And there you have it. I prefer SRT over all other methods. While I applaud innovators, I also see the other rope techniques as trying to build a better mousetrap. While I believe 2TC and a critical skill that everyone must know, both it and 1-stick and niche methods. This comes back full circle to climbing with multi-sticks.

Now, time to break out the sewing machine and sew some aiders for those sticks...

I have tried pretty much every way of climbing and also coming from a rec tree climbing background am in agreement. Presets along with rope walking is pretty much the most efficient way of climbing as evidenced by the west coast big timber climbers. I use a cinched srt method with a moveable resting point- platform, W.E. step etc and that doubles as a platform at hunting height. I just like being attached both going up and coming down and having my ascent/ descent line serve as my tether as well my hybrid srt device serves as an adjuster. I introduce very little if any slack and can bail at anytime. I have tried to like sticks in the past but in my opinion put you in an awkward position in relation to the tree.

I can understand. What seems to work great on my practice tree, doesn't always work in the woods.
I am going back to sticks with cable aiders.

I would double like this if i could. I practiced one sticking almost the entire off season and got really comfortable with it and was excited about using it...i used it for 3 sits and then said to myself ''this isnt gonna work all season long'' I opted to go back to sticks as they just work 99% of the time.

Saddlehunters: “I want to be mobile. I want to climb fast and safe. I want less bulk, less metal, less weight, and less cost…”

Also Saddlehunters: “Climbing sticks are the greatest.”

I never left sticks because of weight or bulk. I can climb them easily and can get high enough with 3 full size line wolfs and an aider. What I hated most about sticks is I could not for the life of me keep them from banging together, additionally, the time it took to carefully and quietly put them up and take them down, bundle them up, and strap them to my pack when I was done with a hunt was annoying to me.

One stick, rope climbing, or 2TC in no particular order is the way to go for me. I one stick climbed the past two years, but I foresee myself 2TC or rope climbing primarily this year.

First off, let me begin that climbing trees is as much a hobby for me as it is a method to hunt.

In the beginning, everyone uses sticks. They're simple and get you in the tree. After that, everyone looks for the newer, shinier, more betterer option. Out of that comes SRT, DRT, JRB, 1-stick, 2TC, platform and every other possible option.

Being a hobby, I love trying these different methods and see the advantages (and disadvantages) of every method. I also see the abject stubbornness in people to push or champion a method due to their particular investment in their chosen climbing method. I'm no different but have the unique ability to step outside myself and criticize what I'm doing so here it is.

2TC: I am a firm believer that everyone needs to know how to self-rescue. This is solely due to my professional life in that "rescue" is a feel good word and most times it's nothing more that preventing a given situation from getting worse. 2TC will get you out of 99% of situations you find yourself in. It is also a valid ascending method but it's maybe the 2nd most inefficient method.

SRT/DRT/JRB/Similar: IMO, rope techniques are the most efficient method to climb and descend but take specialized training, skills and/or pre-season setup. This is my preferred method to climb and descend but only with presets due to the types of trees in my area. This is also a Ford v. Chevy argument. I see SRT, especially base anchoring, as the simplest and safest method. Others will argue otherwise. Point being is to cut through the menusha and the biased hype and use what works best for your area.

1-Stick: Same minimalist mindset minus the ability to self-rescue using this method. IMO, it's more inefficient that 2TC but like most things, this is my opinion.

This leads back to sticks. Having not done any preseason scouting and thus no preseason presets, I'm finding multi-sticks being a far simpler solution to 2TC. While 2TC is always an option, sticks are simply easier to climb, albeit with a weight penalty.

And there you have it. I prefer SRT over all other methods. While I applaud innovators, I also see the other rope techniques as trying to build a better mousetrap. While I believe 2TC and a critical skill that everyone must know, both it and 1-stick and niche methods. This comes back full circle to climbing with multi-sticks.

Now, time to break out the sewing machine and sew some aiders for those sticks...
I went back to climbing sticks full time this year. Wondering why you think one sticking is more inefficient than 2tc? I’ve never done 2tc and the reason is I think it looks pretty inefficient. I get 6 foot on my first move with one sticking and about 4 on every additional move. I have thought about trying 2tc though if it is really more efficient

additionally, the time it took to carefully and quietly put them up and take them down, bundle them up, and strap them to my pack when I was done with a hunt was annoying to me.

Context that was always removed from the "is it worth the risk to climb trees to kill deer?" conversation I was trying to have.

This single thing is probably responsible for most of my desire to not climb trees unless I'm killin'. I feel real dumb packing and unpacking climbing methods to watch squirrels.

Part of it for me is that my lungs aren't as good as they once were. SRT is smooth and easy with the mechanical advantage. I really do like 2TC but I'm out of breath at 10'. As much as I hate sticks, climbing is much easier with them compared to 2TC. 2TC will never go away for me but I do have to accept reality and work within my limitations.

Back