• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with Stirrups

Empostarr

I'm looking into adding 2TC to my arsenal this season since I already have the minimum equipment for it. I've tried it out and really find digging my toes into the tree an uncomfortable experience and saw some old threads where people were using stirrups or two foot climbing loops. This looks like it would be more ideal since I wouldn't need to essentially balance on one leg and could distribute my weight better. I also saw video of someone climbing with a board to create a better platform for climbing @2TC style.

My question is, is anyone still using a 2 footed method? If not, why did you stop? I'm creating a 2 footed aider out of some webbing but wanted to see if there was something I was maybe not thinking of if people gave up on it.

I read the other threads that I could find. They had a string of posts years ago and then just kind of died off.

I use 2 independent stirrups and aider to climb...I made the stirrups out of really thick/stout 2" overhead lifting strap and that width+the ridgidity of the stirrup itself is what holds the aider off the trunk.
I imagine if peeps gave up on it it was because of the difficulty getting ur foot in loops of floppy webbing right up against the trunk but that just a guess.

I guess I should add too since u talking 2tc....I don't use my tether while climbing. I just use a linesman's belt

Last edited:
Do you have pics or vids of this method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have pics or vids of this method?

There is....look in the DIY section for my posts metal less climbing and gone soft..... The video is from when I first started using them and it isn't the best and the video quality itself isn't the best.. I have made small minor adjustments but the basic principal still the same.
Think of the 2 stirrups as WE step. I attach the step/stirrup to the trunk with a timber hitch as high as i can reach and the aider attaches on the outside of the stirrup like an aider hooks up to the front edge of the we step. I made the aider to were I have 16" steps from off the ground to when I transition into the stirrup. Attach linesman's belt and climb aider and then step into the stirrup. Unhook aider and temporarily clip to a molle loop on my saddle....tighten linesman and attach 2nd stirrup to the tree. Attach aider to 2nd stirrup and step into it....when the aider is hanging off the 2nd stirrup the steps fall right next to the 1st stirrup so I just easily transition into the aider without really going any higher up the trunk....so once transitioned into the aider I can bend and reach and untie the timber hitch of the 1st stirrup..so now I'm in the aider and the first stirrup is disconnected and on my person....climb aider and step into 2nd stirrup and repeat the process until u want to stop climbing. Attach platform, attach tether and hook to bridge, step on to platform, hunt, hook up rappel stuff, remove platform and any stirrup that may be attached on the way down

Edit:
I should probably make another video that is better but then once everyone sees and realizes it is the bestest most awesome method ever I'll be inundated with PMs and emails and I generally don't like people so maybe not

Last edited:

I’ve been bugging [mention]Weldabeast [/mention] so that could explain his aversion to people now…

I’ve been bugging [mention]Weldabeast [/mention] so that could explain his aversion to people now…

SH is different....u are all my imaginary friends

I voluntarily contacted u....haha....but if u give out my number I'll be forced to track u down

Last edited:
I quit cuzz the strap adjusters I had at the time shredded the edge of the stap.buy I'm re enterested
Did it feel more stable? That's my concern.

The wood platform thing the one guy was using looked really stable...but I'm trying to not add much more weight or another thing to tie to my pack.

Though a small aluminum bar would be lighter than wood...

So I just tried using the stirrups I made. It felt super stable on the tree and didn't hurt my feet at all. Now I just need to get the tether length for the foot loops correct. Stirrups like @Weldabeast would definitely be helpful too, since they stay open so well.

I know this is a slower process, but I'm not that worried about speed. I'd rather be slower, safer, and more comfortable during the climb.

So I just tried using the stirrups I made. It felt super stable on the tree and didn't hurt my feet at all. Now I just need to get the tether length for the foot loops correct. Stirrups like @Weldabeast would definitely be helpful too, since they stay open so well.

I know this is a slower process, but I'm not that worried about speed. I'd rather be slower, safer, and more comfortable during the climb.
Are you also using an aider?

Are you also using an aider?
Nope, just planning on doing it like 2TC, but instead of one foot loop I'm using a 2 foot stirrup I tied with some webbing. I climb mostly SRT, so I have all of the gear to 2TC already and this stirrup might be nice to use with that method too. A lot of times in the woods near me I have trees with no limbs until higher than I want to be, that might be in the right spot but make SRT unusable. Since I already have a tether and linesman with me, If I could switch to 2TC then, it would be ideal.

One foot loop for SRT isn't bad. One foot loop for 2TC was frustrating for me when digging my foot into the tree and trying not to kick out. The stirrups only allow my feet to spread so far from each other, and the webbing almost "bites" into the tree helping make it feel stable. I figure these webbing stirrups would be lighter than carrying a wood platform like Sams Stealth Climb and takes up almost no room in my pack. It can just live in there until I need it.

You putting a hitch in bottom tether to hook bridge into or using lineman’s and two tethers?

Since I SRT, I'm using my SRT line as my top tether, that way I can rappel down in case of an emergency by just dropping the rest of my rope down to the ground. For my Foot tether I'm using my main tether and was just hooking the stirrups onto my ropeman1. I'm keeping my linemans attached to my left side in case I need it for some reason. I did use it to keep my self closer to the tree when moving my upper tether and it worked great too. But I'm still experimenting and had about 20 minutes to monkey around on a tree during my lunch break. I plan to mess around with it more this weekend to see if I can really dial it in.

I do have a sling that I'm using to attach the bottom tether to my bridge carabiner so I don't lose it.

Back