• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gone soft, southern public, mobile system

Weldabeast

SH Member
I've never done a proper "gear dump" and I've got my hunting system all ironed out. I like reading other people's post similar to this so I thought I'd share too.

First I'll start off saying where I live and hunt 99% is all public that requires a quota. The quotas are a lottery and you sign up for up to 5 different hunts per season (archery 5, muzzleloader 5, and general gun 5). You will receive notice of which quotas you draw and then you can begin checking it out. Most are walk in only during off season. These hunts are 3-5 days with the majority being 3....not much time to figure things out and get it done. The first day, and usually part of the second, I try to cover as much ground as possible looking for deer sign. My weapon is always in my hands....I have had lots of encounters during the scouting stage of the hunt. I found with heavy padded shoulder straps from my backpack I had some difficulty at certain shot angles.
While I was setting everything up my main goals were; mobility, stealth with as little metal components as possible, easy of use, consistancy. I think I've hit all these points. The thing I like the most about this system is once I set the weapon down and attach the Doyle's every movement is done without taking anything off or removing straps or gear tie. I simply reach behind me into the butt pouch and remove the 1st stirrup and attach, remove linesman, remove aider and attach, and start climbing. Once up to desired height I reach behind and unclip the platform and attach. I am able to remove and put back my climbing system and platform just reaching behind me.

20200419_132137.jpg
Front: aider and rangefinder on my right side above my waist. Rabbit fur and compass on left shoulder. 3 storage pouch and monocular on left side waist.
20200419_131832.jpg
The 2 zippers on either side of the center zipper open into large storage areas....hand saw and pruners fit into 1 side the other weekend when I was trimming trees. I keep a bug head net butt paper and required hunting paperwork in this area with plenty of extra room to add other items

20200419_132125.jpg20200419_132050.jpg20200419_140430.jpg
Inside the front large storage; flagging tape, clip on markers, reflective vinyl, headlamp, rangefinder lanyard, pen, broadhead wrench/nock tool, extra batteries, 3 straps for lashings anything extra I need to the molle.

20200419_132004.jpg
Sidenote.... this is 1 of the best things I've done....I keep my aider attached to me so I can't drop it....when rolling it up the paracord would get tangled and it always gave me a problem till I put a swivel on it

20200419_131951.jpg
Back; butt pouch on the bottom for my stirrups and emergency get down gear, water off my left hip, gray storage pouch holds raingear or extra clothes when it's cold, thermacell upper right, Doyle's lower right, and the pouch next to the Doyle's and thermacell is the aider pouch
20200419_131930.jpg
The 2 biners under the gray pouch attach my platform. Can be removed and reattached easily while reaching back

20200419_131903.jpg20200419_131849.jpg

Last edited:
Quiet, lightweight, and compact20200420_190104.jpg
20200420_185930.jpg
Stirrup loop with aider weighted....the aider stays 2" off the trunk of the tree
20200420_185948.jpg
Aider to stirrup transition 20200420_190005.jpg
All weight into stirrup
20200420_190023.jpg
Reach down and unhook the aider
20200420_190039.jpg
Reach up and repeat
20200420_190051.jpg
I can also reach down and undo the stirrup knot and carry it with me "leapfrogging"the 2 up to desired height.

You know if it can be done in crocs it can't be too hard on your feet/kankle.....I did have to lock the hubs in

Last edited:
Quiet, lightweight, and not compact.
Built in strap storage
20200420_190115.jpg
Attach with ocb sewn buckle
20200420_190128.jpg
20200420_190142.jpg
Side pressure
20200420_190210.jpg
Standing pretty much straight up
20200420_190258.jpg
Out at a 45 off the tree. This is how I stay in the tree
20200420_190242.jpg
If u get tired of standing and sitting like normal option to have another position to stretch ur muscles
20200420_190223.jpg
Also makes a pretty comfy tree seat if ya need a rest
20200420_190311.jpg

Last edited:
Really like how that platform turned out buddy! Looks super comfortable. Do you feel that you experience less foot fatigue with it then a ring of steps or a platform?

I only have roughly 3 hours continuous elevated up at height.....so far it's been nothing but a pleasure to use. There's nothing hard or sharp edges...just an extra ridged pillow. I am an extreme leaner from what I've seen from other people's pictures.....this wouldn't be a good option for people who lean in a more vertical position

im thinking of using a similar climbing method as a set up for deep hunts, thinking about a ladder style aider from backwoodsmobilegear.com. wrap it up in a fanny pack with my squirrel steps, I have the predator and shikars sticks for my closer walks

im thinking of using a similar climbing method as a set up for deep hunts, thinking about a ladder style aider from backwoodsmobilegear.com. wrap it up in a fanny pack with my squirrel steps, I have the predator and shikars sticks for my closer walks
I'm sure it'll work....I found the side step style more stable for me than a ladder style I made. Personal preference

I'm sure it'll work....I found the side step style more stable for me than a ladder style I made. Personal preference
my experience with the triangular steps hasn't been very good so far, was hoping the ladder style would be easier to get a foot in, maybe I haven't found the right one

The problem I have with aiders is they stay too close to the tree and the swing around. If using multiple sticks I'll use one between first stick and ground but higher up I don't feel comfortable with them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'd feel better if I could create stable space between tree and aider and attach bottom so it wouldn't swing around. Has that not proven an issue while climbing for you?

The problem I have with aiders is they stay too close to the tree and the swing around. If using multiple sticks I'll use one between first stick and ground but higher up I don't feel comfortable with them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'd feel better if I could create stable space between tree and aider and attach bottom so it wouldn't swing around. Has that not proven an issue while climbing for you?
The way this works once my weight is in the aider it sandwiches the stirrup against the tree. It can't be compressed and the 2" widerh of the stirrup itself holds the aider off the tree. When I measured everything out I made all the steps 16" including the first initial step into the aider so I'm never over extending and I stay real stable during the climb. I have had the aider swing unexpectedly but I always have my 3 points of contact and I will just recorrect and keep climbing. I'm in fighting shape 365 and good balance...this way of climbing takes athleticism so it's not for everybody. I just posted to let others see and start thinking outside the box. Others will expand on ideas and improvements occur

my experience with the triangular steps hasn't been very good so far, was hoping the ladder style would be easier to get a foot in, maybe I haven't found the right one
I sewed in some thick heavy duty 1.25 belt style webbing in a configuration to make the steps stay open. The main body of the aider is 2" wide webbing. I made it wider and heavier duty so it kinda resists swinging around. Previous aiders I made with less heavy duty materials and nothing to reinforce the foot loops have been a pain....loops close up and its twist around

I sewed in some thick heavy duty 1.25 belt style webbing in a configuration to make the steps stay open. The main body of the aider is 2" wide webbing. I made it wider and heavier duty so it kinda resists swinging around. Previous aiders I made with less heavy duty materials and nothing to reinforce the foot loops have been a pain....loops close up and its twist around

In the aider I make for one sticking I put a kydex insert in for foot area. Holds it open really well.

Back