• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with strap on steps

iamcorey

Has anyone tried the attachment seen in the video? Kind of like the button runner, but this doesn’t use any mechanical advantage. Haven’t tried but if I were, I’d definitely rappel down.

I tried it on Pioneer steps and Treehopper steps. Did not get the steps tight enough for me.
I use a version of @raisins truckers hitch. Pioneer steps do not work at all for climbing. I am trying the new Apex steps.Screenshot_20230420_143357_Gallery.jpg

I tried it on Pioneer steps and Treehopper steps. Did not get the steps tight enough for me.
I use a version of @raisins truckers hitch. Pioneer steps do not work at all for climbing. I am trying the new Apex steps.View attachment 89465

The daisy chain trucker's hitch didn't work on the Pioneers (that are metal?)?

I have the Pioneers and only messed with them on the ground and the trucker's hitch did okay. The tree hoppers are still better though.

The daisy chain trucker's hitch didn't work on the Pioneers (that are metal?)?

I have the Pioneers and only messed with them on the ground and the trucker's hitch did okay. The tree hoppers are still better though.
The pioneer steps did not work well for me. I experienced hinging as discussed in the instructions. Since I have size 14w boots, I most likely put more pressure on the end of the steps.
The Treehopper were much more solid.

Has anyone tried the attachment seen in the video? Kind of like the button runner, but this doesn’t use any mechanical advantage. Haven’t tried but if I were, I’d definitely rappel down.

So… how much do you suppose those little buckles are weight rated for? It’s an interesting concept, but there’s a lot riding on those little (plastic?) parts.

So… how much do you suppose those little buckles are weight rated for? It’s an interesting concept, but there’s a lot riding on those little (plastic?) parts.
15 KN.

I did quite a bit last year using Pioneer steps with cam to hook straps. I’d use a climbing sling as an aider if I wanted to get higher / carry less steps.

I was trying to take a page from @WHW and scout until I had a good reason to climb.

I liked what geofish , raisins , mts runner and a few other guys did with steps but I didn’t want to go all in with buying all the amsteel / making amsteel .

Bullman has cam to hook straps that look much more durable and neutral in color than my black versions.

Time to climb wasn’t too far off using bolts.

I’m a thin / athletic build if that is a consideration

15 KN.

Well that’s good. In the video they look like small plastic POS.

though that weight rating is for use with 1” webbing where the force is evenly distributed.

Well that’s good. In the video they look like small plastic POS.

though that weight rating is for use with 1” webbing where the force is evenly distributed.
I don't know.
But some saddle manufactures use them on adjustable webbing bridges.Screenshot_20230824_161000_Gallery.jpg

I did quite a bit last year using Pioneer steps with cam to hook straps. I’d use a climbing sling as an aider if I wanted to get higher / carry less steps.

I was trying to take a page from @WHW and scout until I had a good reason to climb.

I liked what geofish , raisins , mts runner and a few other guys did with steps but I didn’t want to go all in with buying all the amsteel / making amsteel .

Bullman has cam to hook straps that look much more durable and neutral in color than my black versions.

Time to climb wasn’t too far off using bolts.

I’m a thin / athletic build if that is a consideration

Did you try their standard cam strap? Is threading the buckle a PITA?

Just by looking at the photos of those single steps, looks like a huge potential for side slippage. o_O
Wild Edge steps are 100% more solid for side loads and climbing. :cool: Their only drawback is their weight. I like to use 1 or 2, on the backside of my platform, which lets me rotate 360 degrees on the same level.

Just by looking at the photos of those single steps, looks like a huge potential for side slippage. o_O
Wild Edge steps are 100% more solid for side loads and climbing. :cool: Their only drawback is their weight. I like to use 1 or 2, on the backside of my platform, which lets me rotate 360 degrees on the same level.

Side slippage? Do you mean the step moving around the tree while climbing? I stay close to the tree while
Climbing and save the side pressure for hunting height.

Last edited:
Did you try their standard cam strap? Is threading the buckle a PITA?
I didn’t play with standard too much as I found it annoying in hot pre season practice, compared to hook to cam version. Presume it would be more so in frigid temps.

Bullman has a good video on downward pressure vs side pressure if that is a concern.

WE steps are a great tool but I have moved on from them as they would be fidgety on certain tree bark / cold temp w/o gloves / early season .

I found the strap on steps to be more consistent.
all very similar if you climb “safely”( weight, packability, take down, cost)

I use the trucker's hitch, which is tighter, but keep them at 5 and 7 o'clock on the tree and lean back and just use them as little climbing bumps and the force pushes them into the tree.

The old and brand new Bullman design have the issue of the things flipping over. I'll never use a step that mounts like that above the strap again.

Side slippage can be worked around.

Last edited:
I use the trucker's hitch, which is tighter, but keep them at 5 and 7 o'clock on the tree and lean back and just use them as little climbing bumps and the force pushes them into the tree.

The old and brand new Bullman design have the issue of the things flipping over. I'll never use a step that mounts like that above the strap again.

Side slippage can be worked around.
You don't like the new Apex step?
Have you tried one?

You don't like the new Apex step?
Have you tried one?

Haven't tried them. I had a set of the old school ones that were the same shape and concept. They were so bad that I'll never touch something like that with a 10 foot pole again.

Haven't tried them. I had a set of the old school ones that were the same shape and concept. They were so bad that I'll never touch something like that with a 10 foot pole again.
I am not 100% sold on the Apex steps. Going to take 3 and my sticks. Use the Apex at the base of the tree to replace aiders. I like to climb and use my hands and grab onto a solid stick. Should not get into too much trouble low to the ground.

Back