• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

clothing talk

Dmathews87

Looking to upgrade some of my apparel. pretty much 98% of my attire is academy\bass pro stuff and works fine for the most part, just want to get some stuff thats maybe a bit higher quality and does a better job at keeping me warm when its colder (im always cold). For reference im 5'8'' and 145lbs so on the smaller side and early season for me will be hot and humid with temps any where from 90-60s and later in season can get down to below 40. I really like the looks and descriptions of first lite gear but alot of reviews seem to suggest issues with zippers and sleeves that run really long and sitka seems to only have medium and above sizes...on the fence about how i feel about ASIO stuff...as of now im thinking first lite wick hoody and furnace quarter zip and maybe some merino wool base layers from black ovis. What everybody's opinions\experiences?

I bought a mesh merino base layer top a couple years ago and I really like it.
I don't think that I would want bottoms for saddle hunting though. The knee and hip areas would probably be uncomfortable from the pressure of the saddle and knee pads.

Reactions: JC3
I have some Black Ovis wool base layers and some First Lite. I definitely prefer the FL stuff. The Black Ovis stuff seems to stink sooner and is itchier to me. I waited for sales and splurged on the FL stuff with side zips. It's worth it IMO to be able to put them on or take them off as needed without taking boots off. I also love the FL Kiln and Furnace 1/4 zip hoodies, and the Source jacket.

I have some Black Ovis wool base layers and some First Lite. I definitely prefer the FL stuff. The Black Ovis stuff seems to stink sooner and is itchier to me. I waited for sales and splurged on the FL stuff with side zips. It's worth it IMO to be able to put them on or take them off as needed without taking boots off. I also love the FL Kiln and Furnace 1/4 zip hoodies, and the Source jacket.
Any issues with FL as outer wear? I'm assume that's how you're using the 1/4 zips...

For reference im 5'8'' and 145lbs so on the smaller side and early season for me will be hot and humid with temps any where from 90-60s and later in season can get down to below 40.
Since we're exactly the same physical dimensions and have very similar temperature conditions I'd like to offer the Kings Camo XKG anorak/bibs set for your consideration. That duo and a simple merino set from Merinotech (150gr top and bottoms) is amazing. I paired the merino top in the 90s with some light Wrangler pants. Then I added the anorak/bibs when it got to the 50s and then the merino bottoms when it dropped to 40ish. Nice and toasty.

Any issues with FL as outer wear? I'm assume that's how you're using the 1/4 zips...
I wouldn't wear them through briars and thick brush when you can avoid it. I often wear the 1/4 zips early season into the 50s, then add the Source jacket or Catalyst jacket; then I layer them in different configurations into the 30s. Lower than that, my outer wear changes to cold weather stuff.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Duckworth merino wool. I pretty much live in the stuff year round and own nearly every piece they make, with lots of multiples. I've had merino from a lot of the well known hunting brands and nothing compares to Duckworth IMO. Montana just grows better wool.

I think each brand has good pieces. I’m a huge fan of Sitka. In particular the timberline pants. With long Jon’s underneath I wear them down to 35 degrees. Plus they have built in knee pads that work great for saddle hunting. I’m from Michigan so late season is chilly. The Stratus and Fanatic lines are amazing.

Layering is the way to go. Get a thin, puffy high loft goose down vest and similar jacket and a windshirt (v neck windbreaker without a zipper).

Take your jacket off then put on the vest, then down jacket, then windshirt and then put your outer jacket back on.

I avoid heavily insulated and windproof outer jackets because if you walk in and climb in them then you sweat bad.

I carry all my midlayers in a compression sack inside my pack and put them on at height. I also usually stick 2 to 5 Hot Hands adhesive body warmers on my inner most layer.

My rule of thumb is walk in with 1 less layer than I think I need and then sit with 1 more layer than I think I need.

Last edited:
First lite has the best camo imo, but Sitka is in another league from anything else I’ve tried for build quality, pocket/zip layout. Problem for me is the Sitka pants are all too short/stout. Similar size to you, little taller/ skinner, same weight(for now, I’m still down 10lbs from preseason due to kids’ germs and shortage of little Debbie).

I’ll second the mesh base layer comment, best part of my gear, except for me I’d skip the top sometimes but never the bottom.

I’ve got some underarmour and Eberlestock layers that get used once in a while but they failed the UV tests.

I Am a huge SKRE supporter I live in Florida and run the 150 merino layers and intake pants in early season and when I hinted Tennessee this season I had purchased the hard scrabble jacket and pants and paired with the 300 base layers and beanie I was comfortable they do make a awesome layering system and highly recommend !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can talk brands or whatever pieces is your favorite etc.. all that matters is your outer layer is wind proof. Under that, as long as it doesn't get too soaked with sweat you can wear whatever you want.

Another option (what I do) is carrying a thin windproof layer and in the tree add it under your outer jacket but over your other mid layers. Keeps the sweat down when walking/climbing.

and you can look like this guy on a yacht (this is the actual brand I use)

Another option (what I do) is carrying a thin windproof layer and in the tree add it under your outer jacket but over your other mid layers. Keeps the sweat down when walking/climbing.

and you can look like this guy on a yacht (this is the actual brand I use)

I've never walked in with my windproof layer. Strapped to stand or pack

I hunted all year with the ASIO camo. The early season hoodie and pants are definitely made for that south heat. I only hunted with it a hand full of times in NE Ohio. The mid weight pants and hoodie was my go to in October through the first week of November 60’s and 50’s I could wear just that and be fine. They say the mid weight is good into the 40’s but at least for me it’s definitely not thick enough. With a good base layer on underneath I’d be fine in the mid to upper 40’s in it. Once mid November came I was in the Sherpa lined bibs and jacket. Those were by far my favorite items from ASIO. I wore that combo from mid November until the end of season in February. We had one week in January it didn’t get above 20 all week. I hunted every day and with a heavy base layer, sweat pants, hoodie, and the Sherpa lined set I was comfortable. ASIO is a younger company and still gonna be coming out with products but my main knock on them is they don’t have a good waterproof jacket or pant. Everything is treated in DWR but it only works so long. The waterproof pants and jacket they sell is like frogg toggs in their camo pattern.

Like stated above though there is a lot of great options for camo these days, and seems like every brand has pros and cons.

I've never walked in with my windproof layer. Strapped to stand or pack

I think there's 2 schools of thought. A lot of folks take off the outer layer and a few of us like that outer layer for protection and pockets when walking in and so carry the mid layers instead. I spend a decent amount of time cramming them all in compression sack with straps the night before a hunt and can get them all packed down into a little bigger than a football.

Layering is the way to go. Get a thin, puffy high loft goose down vest and similar jacket and a windshirt (v neck windbreaker without a zipper).

Take your jacket off then put on the vest, then down jacket, then windshirt and then put your outer jacket back on.

I avoid heavily insulated and windproof outer jackets because if you walk in and climb in them then you sweat bad.

I carry all my midlayers in a compression sack inside my pack and put them on at height. I also usually stick 2 to 5 Hot Hands adhesive body warmers on my inner most layer.

My rule of thumb is walk in with 1 less layer than I think I need and then sit with 1 more layer than I think I need.

I take a different approach. Personally, I’d rather have fewer layers to have to bother with. Easier to pack, easier to dress when I get to my destination. I almost exclusively hike in wearing baselayer bottoms and a t-shirt that gets swapped out for a baselayer top and is bagged. The only mid-layer I ever pack is a puffy vest.

OP is talking temps from 90-(below) 40. That’s pretty warm to me. A mid-range set like the Sitka Stratus or similar will manage the mid-low end. It’ll be too warm as temps approach 60s, at which point performance gear is basically wind blocker.

Back