• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cocking a crossbow in the saddle

ekelsey15

Jun 4, 2018
So I’ve seen some threads on how shooting a crossbow is simple from the saddle, but what about cocking it in the saddle.

I’m sure there will be people saying just cock it on the ground. Sure. Let’s call that plan A. But what about a missed shot or an early shot and you still have time to hunt. Or you shot that damn squirrel making all that noise and now you have to reload.

Is it easy? Is it a PIA?

Reactions: bluetoofew

MJH

SH Member
Nov 28, 2017
Ontario Canada
It can be done. I have cocked it while on bolts and on WE stepps. I presume on a platform it would be no problem at all.

Reactions: ekelsey15

GiGisDaddy

Dec 18, 2018
Mississippi
thanks, ekelsey, I had the same question, I think practicing with it will be the only way to know for sure, waitin til in a tree with deer around would be a royal PIA

ekelsey15

Jun 4, 2018
Very true. Just wasn’t sure if I should stick with the crossbow for the ground blind.

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
I did it while only using the top steps on Helium sticks as a platform. Instead of putting the bow on the step, leaned to the side and just used my leg to push down and away from my hands with the stringer. Kind of a single leg press in mid air. Not quite as easy as on the ground, but doable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Adamcincy

Oct 26, 2017
So I’ve seen some threads on how shooting a crossbow is simple from the saddle, but what about cocking it in the saddle.

I’m sure there will be people saying just cock it on the ground. Sure. Let’s call that plan A. But what about a missed shot or an early shot and you still have time to hunt. Or you shot that damn squirrel making all that noise and now you have to reload.

Is it easy? Is it a PIA?
I only use a crossbow for archery. I cock it on the ground before going into the tree but always recock after a shot. It isn't hard to cock in the tree but it is a little awkward. Of course, it is easier with a platform than a ring of steps but I use both. Just make sure your boot is well into the foot stirrup of the crossbow.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Easily done by this 60 year old.
Excalibur micro 335

I think 265 pound draw

Or get one with a new internal cocking mechanism. 12 pounds and quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Newhunter1

SH Member
Dec 20, 2018
I have a tenpoint shadow nxt with the acu-draw and it is easy. Hook up the cocking sled and crank away. easy peasy.