• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather hunts

Luckofthedraw

New to the saddle game-looking to purchase soon.

I can see the benefits of being mobile during my Sept/October hunts and I love the idea of the saddle.

I hunt the mule deer rut in late November. Hiking I’m usually in mild layers; but when I use my climber or ladder stands in the late season I am in wool sweaters, bibs, over coat, gloves, winter boots and hand warmers.

Cold weather guys-how does this work for you? Tia-LOTD

Homebrew454

It is the same except I find it easier to put bottom layers on at base of tree. It is much harder to get these layers under the saddle at height. Plus it would not as safe. Some have modified the Heater Body Suit to be able an put it on over the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

JasonA1977

I’m new to it as well and I put my fanatic bibs on at the base of the tree as well, the problem for me is I sweat really bad climbing up using the 1 stick method I’m sure it’s cause I’m not in one Stick shape still. Even putting my jacket on at hunting height seems dangerous to me and scares me to death lol I’m almost ready to say when it’s that cold ima just use my climber. I never did but it’s a thought..: good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dibber33

It is the same except I find it easier to put bottom layers on at base of tree. It is much harder to get these layers under the saddle at height. Plus it would not as safe. Some have modified the Heater Body Suit to be able an put it on over the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Where would I find info on modifying heater body suit!? Thanks

Topdog

SH Member
I use an iwom xt when it’s really nasty and no modifications are needed, I put it on once up in the tree, on a decent size platform like the mission, for normal deer season weather I don’t think Sitka with the proper layers can be beat, put it on that the base of the tree.

Topdog

SH Member
The Iwom xt already has slits on the side that are perfect for your bridge, I have a second fixed length bridge with biners on each end I leave in a pocket of the Iwom, once I’m up to height and settled in I haul that thing up with paracord and jump in, Im never untethered during the process, when I’m done I just unzip and it almost falls off, I just throw it down I hardly ever hunt the same place twice.

harold wright

Ive been hunting out of a kestrel the last 4 seasons. When it gets around freezing i go to my lock on. Ive got a Jx3 comming this week to help see if it helps with comfront when its cold.

barlow96

SH Member
I usually leave my jacket off on the climb. Or I climb slow so I don’t build up body heat so fast. I also do not over dress. With my area the temp will rise throughout the day. So I dress according to the high of the day. Not the low temp. If it starts at 33 and ends at 50 for the day. I will dress for the 50. Most of the low temps for the day is while I am moving. Or I will spend a hour or so in that temp setup and still but after that, it warms up pretty quick.

phatkaw

I’m new to it as well and I put my fanatic bibs on at the base of the tree as well, the problem for me is I sweat really bad climbing up using the 1 stick method I’m sure it’s cause I’m not in one Stick shape still. Even putting my jacket on at hunting height seems dangerous to me and scares me to death lol I’m almost ready to say when it’s that cold ima just use my climber. I never did but it’s a thought..: good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe spurs or multiple sticks would be less work for your ascent?