• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold Weather rubber boots

oklahoma_deer2008

Looking for some reviews on different insulated rubber boots for all day sits. I live in Oklahoma usually hunt 10-30 degree days but seems like the wind is what really makes the difference. Best reviews I’ve read are for the Lacrosse arrowhead 7mm boots!

I've always had trouble keeping my feet warm in the mid to late seasons. Last year I bit the bullet and got myself a pair of lacross alphaburly pros (1600g thinsulate). They've held up great after two seasons of blatant abuse and I no longer have to worry about keeping my feet warm.

No question here concerning boots for cold weather. I have at least 20 pairs of rubber or neoprene boots and I've never had a non-pack boot keep my feet warm in temps below 25 degrees. That eliminates almost every boot in the industry no matter what the temperature rating because temperature rating are for walking, not sitting for long periods. Rubber or neoprene boots with tons of Thinsulate insulation in the body of the boot just don't work in extreme cold. Baffin Titans )Canadian company) are for extreme cold as they are one of only a few removeable pack boots with rubber outers and are by far the best. Differing models of Muck boots are my favorite boots for temps from 30 degrees and up.

I like the Muck boots, not to clunky. For me the fit of the boot and the sock combination is most important. A good liner sock that wicks , and an insulated sock of merino wool, or a wool poly blend. leave a little space in the boot, and I can do all day sits here in MA. all season.

I had Lacrosse Aeroheads. After the first season they leaked too bad to wear. Replaced w/Lacrosse Arctic. They are the warmest boot I,ve tried in 50 yrs. W/a silk and a wool sock they actually feel like they make heat

I have and am a big fan of the muck boots Arctic Pro. Half size too large with thick and loose wool socks.

2x. The extra room is important.
If it is below 20 degrees use some chemical toe heaters

I never had cold feet this year with alpaca socks, loose fitting Arctic mucks ( size 11 instead of size 10) and chemical toe heaters and a warm core. . And I hunted a lot of cold days I use a boot drier between hunts. I used the same set up for my daughter who always has cold feet when she hunts ... she had warm feet this fall.
Keeping my core warm means my feet stay warm too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Have 2 pairs of Muck Arctic Pro's and they don't come close to keeping your feet as warm as a Baffin Titan pack boot. Neither does any other boot with the insulation in the body of the boot.

Thanks for the info on the Baffin, John. I would love to have an even warmer boot, but at almost twice the price I'll have to hold off for now. The arctic pro have served me well so far and if it really gets down there I just toss a pair of hot toes in and am good to go. I realize there are probably warmer boots, wish there was a way to field test before you buy. I also hunt a lot of marsh and mucky swamp so I appreciate the simplicity and waterproofing of the muck as well.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/203/baffin-titan-winter-hunting-boot

these boots (baffin titans) are great for sitting still and keeping your feet warm. i spend all winter out icefishing with temps at times lower than -30 and pair these with a pair of smart wool socks and have never been cold.
now walking around is another thing. as nice and toasty these things are they are not a boot i want to walk more than a mile in. these, to me, are hop off the snowmobile and start drilling holes through the ice or jumping off the quad at the bottom of a tree kind of boots. but thats just me.

i guess if i had to go a long ways in they could be packed but i use them mainly quad out to the ground blind when its cold as hell and sit there all day with the rifle.

great boots.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I've heard great things from baffin. I also recently ready about "Mickey Mouse" boots. They were military issued and you can still find them if you look hard enough. Apparently they were discontinued because they were almost too warm for the troops for daily use.

They are around 100 bucks and probably worth trying out. There is some videos on youtube. Check them out!

I've heard great things from baffin. I also recently ready about "Mickey Mouse" boots. They were military issued and you can still find them if you look hard enough. Apparently they were discontinued because they were almost too warm for the troops for daily use.

They are around 100 bucks and probably worth trying out. There is some videos on youtube. Check them out!

We used to get these boots when I was a kid for $5-$25 a pair (depending on how many they had in stock) at a military surplus store. They were heavy but would keep your feet warm in any temperature. Hardest part was slipping your sweaty feet out of the Boots at the end of the day.

Baffin Titans. Removable liner. Done. But if you insist on the Mickey’s, make sure it says BATA on the bottoms. If not, Chinese knock offs.

Hunt MI Nov & Dec. archery. Worn a couple different brands of rubber boots (Lacrosse Alpha and Cabala's 2000) more as a means to address water and scent. In difficult winter conditions I switch to pack boots, if feasible. Come to the conclusion that if you plan to stick in out "All Day", on ground or in a tree, your going to have cold feet. Comes down to what are you willing to deal with or can you live with some trade-offs. Here's some options to mitigate: 1)Increase boot size so you can move your toes. 2) Raise you heart rate. Ex. Do squats 3)Provide a periodic heat source (chemical, propane, electric) 4) Hunt in an enclosed blind. Here's a MI guy that uses Baffin Men's Titan

Last edited:
Back