• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Colorado Mule deer hunt

BudgetBuck1

I was drawn for a Colorado mule deer hunt, rifle, second season, October 21st - 28th. I have never hunted out west and know nothing of mule deer hunting. I didn't expect to get drawn this first year so I haven't prepared at all. I was just trying to get a preference point for next year. Anyways, has anyone ever done this before? Any tips for a first time western hunt? This area is in the North west corner of Colorado and is high elevation. The area I got drawn for is unit 12.

Get good binoculars. You will be living in them. A range finder is a good idea. Make sure your boots are broken in. Bring Gear for any weather.

Where will you be staying, camping or hotel/cabin?

I killed a muley my first season in CO. I was in the eastern plains, but game is plentiful all over the state. My recommendation would be to take a scouting trip if at all possible.

The weather should be nice then, but you'll have to prepare for wicked swings. It be could be freezing or hot. If you're hunting public land in the mountains, be prepared for a lot of hiking and glassing. Even if you don't get a deer, it will be an incredible experience.

Go into it with the mindset of "this is a learning experience and I almost certainly won't get a deer". If you're goal is to have fun and enjoy the trip, your chances of success go way up.

My recommendation would be to take a scouting trip if at all possible.

I have family members that used to travel to Colorado every other year from the early 80's to the early 2000's. I was only luck enough to make it out one trip but, what we did that trip and what they usually did was to make it a two week trip. We went out the week before season and spent the first week, scouting, fishing, enjoying camp, and then hunted hard the second week. It's a great way to do it if you can get two consecutive weeks.

I was drawn for a Colorado mule deer hunt, rifle, second season, October 21st - 28th. I have never hunted out west and know nothing of mule deer hunting. I didn't expect to get drawn this first year so I haven't prepared at all. I was just trying to get a preference point for next year. Anyways, has anyone ever done this before? Any tips for a first time western hunt? This area is in the North west corner of Colorado and is high elevation. The area I got drawn for is unit 12.

I hunted the same area last year for mule deer/cow elk during 2nd rifle. My first out west hunt. Send me a message with your phone number, we can go over maps and such.

Awesome, thanks guys. BCHunter, I will be sending you a message. My brother has an elk tag for that unit and is going with me. We will be camping in my brother's truck camper that we usually stay in during dear season on public land here in the NC Mountains. I would love to take two weeks off to have a week prior to scout but my work would be a nightmare when I got back. I might talk him into driving out a week early to scout and then picking me up at the Denver airport:)

Back