• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Comfort channel to my mantis and adjustable utilibridge

Fishuntbike

I’m upgraded my mantis with comfort channel like the new phantom and this is what I came up with. I use half bead 16 mm and I put 5 pcs beads inside a 6 inches cable insulation webbing. Then put stitches on both ends and in between each beads. This will eventually sawn to the bridge loop unfortunately my sewing machine will not accommodate the bridge loop thickness so I have to take it to a shop. I also finished my adjustable utilibridge with amsteel.

Attachments

• 3CB415FC-9CDC-4589-BB32-F0308A67D435.jpeg
    3CB415FC-9CDC-4589-BB32-F0308A67D435.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 228
  • A1408BF9-7073-4E59-80AA-87903D4DA08C.jpeg
    A1408BF9-7073-4E59-80AA-87903D4DA08C.jpeg
    842 KB · Views: 233
  • C874E57B-C49E-4658-9BDD-58F9922A0023.jpeg
    C874E57B-C49E-4658-9BDD-58F9922A0023.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 1DD9C90D-81AB-4AEB-8A96-E3A50EA1AD61.jpeg
    1DD9C90D-81AB-4AEB-8A96-E3A50EA1AD61.jpeg
    660.3 KB · Views: 230
Do you think the half circle beads will provide enough resistance to keep the amsteel in place? Just wondering if there is enough "lip" to keep it from overcoming the hump.

Do you think the half circle beads will provide enough resistance to keep the amsteel in place? Just wondering if there is enough "lip" to keep it from overcoming the hump.
Once there is pressure it’s almost like pinching the bridge together which also bring the half beads closer together and Amsteel stays in position

For mine, I untied the amsteel bridge the mantis came with and cut it in half. Then tied a klemheist to each bridge loop and ran a new bridge to each klemheist loop. The friction from the klemheist on the bridge loops allows for complete adjustment one handed on each side. You're not limited to channels. I also added a prusik to one side so now i have comfort channels and an adjustable bridge and the only weight addition was the bridge prusik. It's essentially the Kestrel adjustable bridge but the connections to the bridge loops on the saddle are 3/16 amsteel klemheist's. Thoughts?

For mine, I untied the amsteel bridge the mantis came with and cut it in half. Then tied a klemheist to each bridge loop and ran a new bridge to each klemheist loop. The friction from the klemheist on the bridge loops allows for complete adjustment one handed on each side. You're not limited to channels. I also added a prusik to one side so now i have comfort channels and an adjustable bridge and the only weight addition was the bridge prusik. It's essentially the Kestrel adjustable bridge but the connections to the bridge loops on the saddle are 3/16 amsteel klemheist's. Thoughts?

Pictures?

Is the existing amsteel still original 1/4 hollow core? If so that’s no bueno........ the ONLY way these new amsteel bridge designs are working is with continuous loops & full buries. Which in essence makes the amsteel solid.

Is the existing amsteel still original 1/4 hollow core? If so that’s no bueno........ the ONLY way these new amsteel bridge designs are working is with continuous loops & full buries. Which in essence makes the amsteel solid.
It's whatever came on the mantis. I took it apart. Do I need to go to solid 3/8"? It's a figure eight knot with the end crimped so it can't untie. I figured it's still the same piece supporting the same weight as before.

Last edited:
It's whatever came on the mantis. I took it apart. Do I need to go to solid 3/8"? It's a figure eight knot with the end crimped so it can't untie. I figured it's still the same piece supporting the same weight as before.
As a general rule knots are going to greatly reduce strength in amsteel, get into the specs & check some of this out for yourself. So knots & different prussic knots are a bit untested in our application. I’m not implying Tethrd didn’t test their new design! But rather all this DIY of exactly what they did is taking a lot of risk in a critical pc of our kits......,

Back