• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Competing with dog hunters

Tac2d

So I’m a very novice hunter. I only have public land available to me in eastern NC. My question to you all is how do you compete with dog hunters? It’s like the Wild West on a weekend on public land with dogs running. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in NC too. In uwharrie once the dog hunters start showing up during gun season I try to use that to my advantage and get there way before them on the opposite side of the bedding/fields I know they will be at so hopefully they push deer my way. I haven't come up with a better use for them. No matter how far you get away from they you can always hear them yelling and cheering on their yelping dogs. Dog hunting and no hunting on Sundays are the only two laws I'd change if I could here...

I'm in NC too. In uwharrie once the dog hunters start showing up during gun season I try to use that to my advantage and get there way before them on the opposite side of the bedding/fields I know they will be at so hopefully they push deer my way. I haven't come up with a better use for them. No matter how far you get away from they you can always hear them yelling and cheering on their yelping dogs. Dog hunting and no hunting on Sundays are the only two laws I'd change if I could here...

Amen brother! I have no problem with dog hunting, but due to the roaming nature of that hunting, they should only be able to do it on private land of 1000 or more contiguous acres and must stop their dogs once they approach their borders. There are shock collars with enough range to keep them in their own borders.

They already approved a bill to allow Sunday hunting on gamelands, but they have not changed any rules yet, maybe next year finally.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sadly, there are alot of anti-dog hunters out there, but if it were me I would try and work with them rather than compete with them. They are usually great guys and have had to defend their way of hunting more and more these days. At the end of the day you will see those guys riding the roads looking for their dogs. Carry a rope and if you see one of their dogs see if you can put a leash on it and call the number on the collar. If you hold the dog for them they will love you for it. Most times will tell you where they plan on hunting next time they are going to put on a drive, etc. If you know where they are "putting in" you can be set up before they get in the woods. Rarely are decent bucks run by dogs they are too smart. However they do sneak out ahead of the drive and that's where you need to be. That or set up in a swamp if there is one around, Chases always seem to end up in a swamp or river.

Sorry to be long winded and hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I don’t have a problem with their hunting style. I just know my chances of bagging a deer are significantly reduced when all the deer are running Mach 2 through the woods. I think I’ll take y’all a advice and set up way earlier.

Thanks guys. I don’t have a problem with their hunting style. I just know my chances of bagging a deer are significantly reduced when all the deer are running Mach 2 through the woods. I think I’ll take y’all a advice and set up way earlier.

Yep and also greatly reduced when you got up super early, drive 2 hours, and got set up in a great spot and these dudes roll in at 9am and shut the place down with all the yelling lol. Yep I'm salty about it. I've had so many days ruined by that it's rediculous.

I would find another WMA to hunt.

The dog hunting makes them nocturnal and makes them ultra wary.

Dog hunting and bowhunting don't mesh in my opinion....If you are gun hunting you can use them to your advantage like Murph said...Personally I wish all dog hunting was outlawed....

I had permission to hunt an 1800 acre original land grant farm that was beautiful - but they allowed dog hunting to one group...I thought I could at least get some hunting done during bow season without the dogs running but oh no they had to run even during bow season to get their dogs in shape...I gave up on this beautiful piece of land....

My son and I had exclusive permission to hunt a 40 acre parcel....We got some trail cam pics of some nice bucks and were excited....Then we found out the dog hunters dropped their dogs off at the head of this property on a regular basis even though they did not have permission.....Messed us up on numerous occasions...Gave up on that property also....

I could go on and on about the negative side of dog hunting...I have to respectfully disagree with Wasp about dog hunters being great guys...My experience is the opposite of that.....

I have a little different perspective on this than what some others have said. I grew up hunting in south Alabama and we ran A LOT of dogs. I never really enjoyed dog hunting and thought it was a bother. Until one day when I had to sit a food plot in an area after they had run the dogs through it that morning. I saw more deer on that hunt than I ever had previously. So I tried it a few weeks later when they ran dogs on another part of the lease, and I saw a ton of deer again!

In short, hunt where they run the dogs AFTER they've passed through. It seems like the deer will be up on their feet earlier in my experience.

Yep after you run deer with dogs so much they get kinda keen on the situation. They learn to stay put till a dog runs over the top of them. Focus on pockets that they cant surround deer will hold up in those pockets as well. And they will also be deer still in that same block the dogs get them to moving. I dog hunt too and we had a guy that would hunt when we were done and he killed deer that we never saw. So dont let it discourage ya to much.

Thank god the OZF has outlawed dog hunting deer. Now all we need is a ban on ohv riding.

I’d get into a wet area if you can. Bucks will often run into a swamp and run circles and try to blow the dogs up and throw em off. Use it to your advantage, they’ll push around more deer in a block than they will actually run out and kill.

I personally feel that if a dog can’t tree it, bay it, or circle it they have no business running it. That said I respect others rights to do so. I also agree with @shwacker that the majority of deer stay tucked into the cover until the dogs get gone. It probably bothers you more than the deer. It’s just life for them.

Nobody enjoys a dog race more than i do.I breed train and field trial AKC SPO beagles.We are running rabbits but for me the love of that sport stemmed from dogging for deer with my father as a kid.No it isn’t for everyone just like hanging in a tree by your Codsack isn’t.But it is what these guys choose to do and as long as they are doing it legally it is a great sport with a long heritage.That being said there are just few areas that dog hunting for deer can be done without causing conflict between doggers and stand hunters.It just requires large tracts of property and most places are just simply not big enough.If it is to be allowed on public ground the state needs to designate a short season for it to not cause issues amongst hunters.The anti gun anti hunting libertard jackasses that are becoming more and more prevalent in Washington feed on this type of division amongst us.Stick together boys.Its the only way you will continue to enjoy the sport you love.

Nobody enjoys a dog race more than i do.I breed train and field trial AKC SPO beagles.We are running rabbits but for me the love of that sport stemmed from dogging for deer with my father as a kid.No it isn’t for everyone just like hanging in a tree by your Codsack isn’t.But it is what these guys choose to do and as long as they are doing it legally it is a great sport with a long heritage.That being said there are just few areas that dog hunting for deer can be done without causing conflict between doggers and stand hunters.It just requires large tracts of property and most places are just simply not big enough.If it is to be allowed on public ground the state needs to designate a short season for it to not cause issues amongst hunters.The anti gun anti hunting libertard jackasses that are becoming more and more prevalent in Washington feed on this type of division amongst us.Stick together boys.Its the only way you will continue to enjoy the sport you love.
Thats the truth!

You guys can run deer with dogs??? Wow, different world. Not for or against by any means, but if your hound gets deer "hot" here and is running them, the game warden has the right to shoot them, and will. Other than the norms (upland game etc ) it's only bear around here and you need a special license.

Dog hunting and bowhunting don't mesh in my opinion....If you are gun hunting you can use them to your advantage like Murph said...Personally I wish all dog hunting was outlawed....

I had permission to hunt an 1800 acre original land grant farm that was beautiful - but they allowed dog hunting to one group...I thought I could at least get some hunting done during bow season without the dogs running but oh no they had to run even during bow season to get their dogs in shape...I gave up on this beautiful piece of land....

My son and I had exclusive permission to hunt a 40 acre parcel....We got some trail cam pics of some nice bucks and were excited....Then we found out the dog hunters dropped their dogs off at the head of this property on a regular basis even though they did not have permission.....Messed us up on numerous occasions...Gave up on that property also....

I could go on and on about the negative side of dog hunting...I have to respectfully disagree with Wasp about dog hunters being great guys...My experience is the opposite of that.....

I've heard about these scenarios, sorry to hear you ran into some bad apples spoiling the bunch. Same as "that guy" on public land who sees your truck parked and parks there anyway and walks right through where you were hunting. Seems you hear about hunters leasing land adjacent to a dog running clubs and having dogs run the deer from their land to the dog club. Always wondered what happens when the dogs turn and go the other way. They would never get close to where the hunters are set up. Also, wouldn't you have the opportunity to shoot deer that were run out of their property as well. They like to think they've lined a piece of property tight, but the deer almost always get through the standers.

You guys can run deer with dogs??? Wow, different world. Not for or against by any means, but if your hound gets deer "hot" here and is running them, the game warden has the right to shoot them, and will. Other than the norms (upland game etc ) it's only bear around here and you need a special license.

East of the Blue Ridge in VA its pretty much the only way anyone hunts. Every pickup you see has a dog box in the back. You would be hard pressed to find a tract of land anywhere that dogs won't eventually come through. I have had numerous archery hunts ruined with "dog training" sessions that are illegal during archery season but they make the excuse they are "fox hunting" or other BS to avoid getting in trouble. Once general firearms opens its really a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" game. The deer are so pressured from constant dog chases you will not see daytime deer movement unless a dog does bump them.

Like stated above the big impact is how it alters the deer behavior. They go nocturnal and get spooky.

Back