• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Considering One Sticking

KingSinglePin

I'm considering moving to the One Sticking method next season. I'm compiling a list of things to get over the next couple of months to practice with before seasons start in Sept 2023. If you currently use the one stick method, list your current load out. Interested to see what everyone is doing. Thanks in advance!

The list is fairly standard with a few variations of specific gear as determined by personal preference. Gregg Staggs covers One Sticking A-Z, as well as detailed gear lists and variations of specific pieces of gear on his YouTube channel.
https://youtube.com/@StaggsintheWild
I think most would highly recommend it as a ”can’t miss” starting point. One stick is pretty amazing once it clicks for you.

I have two setups. A modded muddy one stick with an EWO LP (Light Platform) on top, and an EWO ULS (Ultimate Lower Step) on the bottom with a 3 step Ultimaider and the protective sleeves for the Ultimaider also from EWO. It’s 4.4 lbs without the Ultimaider. Probably 5.2 with it. It’s a tank but I like its stability. I also have an OG complete EWO One stick with the UP platform on top and the regular EWP step/stick stand-off on the bottom and EWO’s two step sewn aider with 15” spacing. I used this all the season of ‘21. I mostly used the modded muddy this season. Haven’t weighed the EWO one stick but it’s definitely lighter. My EWO is a 15” stick but the muddy is a 20” tube. The EWO is a work of art. The modded muddy with the two EWO platforms also incorporate the excellent EWO standoffs which are exactly the same geometry as the regular stick/step standoffs. Talk about biting into a tree and just a very robust design. With the modded 20” stick I can get to 17-18’ in three moves using the Ultimaider. In moves two and three I’m only using the second and top aider steps. On the first part of the climb I try to put it up high enough to effectively use all three steps of the Ultimaider. With the OG EWO it took me about four moves to get to my standard 16’ to 18’ hunting height. In ‘20 when I first started one sticking I used a standard Muddy stick and an OOAL solo scout once I got t hunting height. I used a climb rated 24” loop with a zip tie fished through it to keep the loop open while one sticking. It’s the @SloMo mod for the climbing loops. All work well. The muddy standoffs just didn’t have the bite of the EWO ones though. Each of the first two one stick setups I described above are shown on a shape charge pack.

As far as rappelling down I have 35’ of Canyon IV using a Mammut Smart 2.0 device. I still use a separate tether while hunting. Many guys use their rappel rope also as their hunting tether to save weight and time. I feel more comfortable using my rappel setup just for that purpose. I also keep a lineman’s belt girth hitched to my left side daisy chained with a Notch oval biner for use with a Kong Duck mechanical prussic. My hunting tether uses a rope man 1 mechanical prussic. My saddle is a CGM sidewinder with saddle spenders. I loosen the suspenders when I start climbing. I just use the suspenders to keep the saddle up on my waist the height I prefer it. For some reason the belt slips down a little bit on me if I just use it. I’ll try to take more pics later if my kit. I realize I have some redundancy in my system but I also have some pre-set locations that I may default too while hunting and I’ll leave the one stick at the base of the tree in these scenarios.

Attachments

• 18B642B3-6B51-43E6-94EC-6F350C87D03D.jpeg
    18B642B3-6B51-43E6-94EC-6F350C87D03D.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 47431BE7-E1F6-4D1C-9741-0F57BDE9F834.jpeg
    47431BE7-E1F6-4D1C-9741-0F57BDE9F834.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 63
After fooling around with a few different sticks I too ended up with an EWO stick. It’s rock solid and so well built. At 225 I’m not a huge guy but with all my gear I’m more like 240ish and needed a stick that wouldn’t budge. I’ve tried damaging this stick and haven’t been able too yet. I use the angled UP platform on top as it has enough real estate for my size 13 boots and also allows me to turn around on top or cam off the side. I use just the plain lower step and a backwoods mobile three step sewn aider with 15” spacing. With that combo I can get 20’ quickly no problem. I also rappel down; I use oplux with a safeguard and use the rappel line as my tether also. At height I back up the safeguard with a prusik. I still keep a linemans belt on my saddle just in case. I try to keep things as simple as possible.
C547444E-C710-4726-BF5D-39B08FFC6C84.jpeg

Like everything in life it is all personal preference. I will say though, whatever stick you go with trade out the stand offs with the EWO stand offs. I do the one stick plus a platform climbing. Then for rappelling do you go mechanical or hitches. I have used a safeguard, a figure 8, and I am currently using a gri gri, but the figure 8 stays in my saddle as a back up. I absolutely hate friction hitches. I am 250ish and every hitch I have loaded is a pain to release. A gri gri, I pull a handle and down I go. Put on your mining helmet and dive head first down the rabbit hole!!!! Get stuff off the classifieds try it out, keep what you like and release what you don't like.

The list is fairly standard with a few variations of specific gear as determined by personal preference. Gregg Staggs covers One Sticking A-Z, as well as detailed gear lists and variations of specific pieces of gear on his YouTube channel.
https://youtube.com/@StaggsintheWild
I think most would highly recommend it as a ”can’t miss” starting point. One stick is pretty amazing once it clicks for you.
Many thanks for the reference! These are the types of videos I've been needing to see. I'll be checking that out asap

I have two setups. A modded muddy one stick with an EWO LP (Light Platform) on top, and an EWO ULS (Ultimate Lower Step) on the bottom with a 3 step Ultimaider and the protective sleeves for the Ultimaider also from EWO. It’s 4.4 lbs without the Ultimaider. Probably 5.2 with it. It’s a tank but I like its stability. I also have an OG complete EWO One stick with the UP platform on top and the regular EWP step/stick stand-off on the bottom and EWO’s two step sewn aider with 15” spacing. I used this all the season of ‘21. I mostly used the modded muddy this season. Haven’t weighed the EWO one stick but it’s definitely lighter. My EWO is a 15” stick but the muddy is a 20” tube. The EWO is a work of art. The modded muddy with the two EWO platforms also incorporate the excellent EWO standoffs which are exactly the same geometry as the regular stick/step standoffs. Talk about biting into a tree and just a very robust design. With the modded 20” stick I can get to 17-18’ in three moves using the Ultimaider. In moves two and three I’m only using the second and top aider steps. On the first part of the climb I try to put it up high enough to effectively use all three steps of the Ultimaider. With the OG EWO it took me about four moves to get to my standard 16’ to 18’ hunting height. In ‘20 when I first started one sticking I used a standard Muddy stick and an OOAL solo scout once I got t hunting height. I used a climb rated 24” loop with a zip tie fished through it to keep the loop open while one sticking. It’s the @SloMo mod for the climbing loops. All work well. The muddy standoffs just didn’t have the bite of the EWO ones though. Each of the first two one stick setups I described above are shown on a shape charge pack.

As far as rappelling down I have 35’ of Canyon IV using a Mammut Smart 2.0 device. I still use a separate tether while hunting. Many guys use their rappel rope also as their hunting tether to save weight and time. I feel more comfortable using my rappel setup just for that purpose. I also keep a lineman’s belt girth hitched to my left side daisy chained with a Notch oval biner for use with a Kong Duck mechanical prussic. My hunting tether uses a rope man 1 mechanical prussic. My saddle is a CGM sidewinder with saddle spenders. I loosen the suspenders when I start climbing. I just use the suspenders to keep the saddle up on my waist the height I prefer it. For some reason the belt slips down a little bit on me if I just use it. I’ll try to take more pics later if my kit. I realize I have some redundancy in my system but I also have some pre-set locations that I may default too while hunting and I’ll leave the one stick at the base of the tree in these scenarios.
Thank you for all of the insight and pics of your setups. I had considered still using my platform while one sticking but you've got me researching the EWO a little more now. I'm going to look at the Mammut Smart as well. I'd settled on the MadRock but I'm always open to checking my options. You've given me tons to think about and research. Thank you!! I wish I could like this post 100 times haha

The smart is a good device. Here’s a good thread on it:
I’d HIGHLY encourage an HMS biner be used with it.
I also keep a figure 8 in my pack should my safeguard malfunction for whatever reason.

After fooling around with a few different sticks I too ended up with an EWO stick. It’s rock solid and so well built. At 225 I’m not a huge guy but with all my gear I’m more like 240ish and needed a stick that wouldn’t budge. I’ve tried damaging this stick and haven’t been able too yet. I use the angled UP platform on top as it has enough real estate for my size 13 boots and also allows me to turn around on top or cam off the side. I use just the plain lower step and a backwoods mobile three step sewn aider with 15” spacing. With that combo I can get 20’ quickly no problem. I also rappel down; I use oplux with a safeguard and use the rappel line as my tether also. At height I back up the safeguard with a prusik. I still keep a linemans belt on my saddle just in case. I try to keep things as simple as possible.
View attachment 78985
Another glowing review for EWO. Thank you for the info and giving me things to look into. I was under the impression Oplux wasn’t compatible with the safeguard due to the diameter and requirements from the device but clearly I’m wrong there. Great idea backing up the device with a prusik, I’ll def be doing that at height. As you do, I’ll be keeping my lineman handy just in case. Thanks again!

Like everything in life it is all personal preference. I will say though, whatever stick you go with trade out the stand offs with the EWO stand offs. I do the one stick plus a platform climbing. Then for rappelling do you go mechanical or hitches. I have used a safeguard, a figure 8, and I am currently using a gri gri, but the figure 8 stays in my saddle as a back up. I absolutely hate friction hitches. I am 250ish and every hitch I have loaded is a pain to release. A gri gri, I pull a handle and down I go. Put on your mining helmet and dive head first down the rabbit hole!!!! Get stuff off the classifieds try it out, keep what you like and release what you don't like.
The gri gri is a good recommendation. I was just checking them out. Having the figure 8 backup seems like a must in my opinion. My original idea was to do like you and climb and use my platform since I’ve already got it. Great reviews on the EWO stick but considering the Gen 3 ONE stick or Beast stick as well.

Another glowing review for EWO. Thank you for the info and giving me things to look into. I was under the impression Oplux wasn’t compatible with the safeguard due to the diameter and requirements from the device but clearly I’m wrong there. Great idea backing up the device with a prusik, I’ll def be doing that at height. As you do, I’ll be keeping my lineman handy just in case. Thanks again!
Do not back up any mechanical device with an auto block. It clearly says it in the directions!
If you want to back up at height, tie in an alpine butterfly. I do that all the time at height no matter what I am using Kong, madrock, gri gri.....

Last edited:
The gri gri is a good recommendation. I was just checking them out. Having the figure 8 backup seems like a must in my opinion. My original idea was to do like you and climb and use my platform since I’ve already got it. Great reviews on the EWO stick but considering the Gen 3 ONE stick or Beast stick as well.
I climb on a modded beast stick.

Do not back up any mechanical device with an auto lock. It clearly says it in the directions!
If you want to back up at height, tie in a alpine butterfly. I do that all the time at height no matter what I am using Kong, madrock, gri gri.....
Noted! Thank you for the correction. I hadn’t made it far enough to see directions as well as the dos and donts of the mechs. What mods have you made on your Beast stick?

EWO stick with flat scout & 3 step backwoods mobile sewn aider. Using canyon elite & figure 8 with a VT prussic above for backup. Smooth & easy. Wasn’t ever really comfortable on the madrock, I’m over 300lb with gear & it just didn’t feel right. Btw oplux is not in spec for safeguard, even though a lot of folks do it.

EWO 15" stick with UP Platform, Backwoods 3-step sewn aider, 40ft Bluewater Argon dynamic rope, madrock safeguard, figure 8 as a backup.

I do not exclusively one-stick. Just like I don't exclusively saddle hunt. It is just one "tool" in my tool box. I always recommend that people try to take a similar approach when selecting how they want to hunt a certain area. i.e., don't feel that you have to one-stick all the time, just add it to your tool box.

EWO 15" stick with UP Platform, Backwoods 3-step sewn aider, 40ft Bluewater Argon dynamic rope, madrock safeguard, figure 8 as a backup.

I do not exclusively one-stick. Just like I don't exclusively saddle hunt. It is just one "tool" in my tool box. I always recommend that people try to take a similar approach when selecting how they want to hunt a certain area. i.e., don't feel that you have to one-stick all the time, just add it to your tool box.
Yes, a one stick, a saddle, a bow, a gun, a muzzleloader should be an arrow in your quiver. Don't limit yourself. So far this year I have hunted a saddle, ladder stand, one stick, set of sticks, climbing stand and a ground blinds. I have killed deer with a crossbow, muzzleloader, shotgun, and a rifle. Don't limit yourself.

EWO stick with flat scout & 3 step backwoods mobile sewn aider. Using canyon elite & figure 8 with a VT prussic above for backup. Smooth & easy. Wasn’t ever really comfortable on the madrock, I’m over 300lb with gear & it just didn’t feel right. Btw oplux is not in spec for safeguard, even though a lot of folks do it.
Glad you mentioned that about the oplux and safeguard. I thought I was crazy for a sec haha

Back