• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Counter Sinking Double Steps?

BackSpasm

SH Member
Hey Fellas,

I just got my @DanO double steps for my lone-wolf ----> DIYbeast stick transformation. I got the standard steps. Have any of you guys countersunk the existing holes on your double steps a bit? I know the weight is negligible, but I think it will make my steps match my sticks more closely (it looks cool). I have already counter sunk the tubing weight reduction holes as well as the bolt heads into my versa buttons so this seems like a logical addition. I am also wondering about countersinking the bolt heads a bit so they aren't so proud on the step faces. I know that this is a stress point though and the steps are already milled out there on the backside.

Thoughts?

I would say reach out to DanO and ask if that would cause any structural issues. Seems like those are milled to a pretty specific width and countersinking the holes might push things past a threshold of some sort. Would look clean though!

Are you going to use countersink socket head cap screws? That would be slick. I love the flush look. I can check the best practice for boss material thickness on countersunk holes today at work and let you know.

So I went the opposite way and added a washer... only because these are paper weights and am not as thin as I used to be. If you do it post some pictures and give us a report on how it works.

Are you going to use countersink socket head cap screws? That would be slick. I love the flush look. I can check the best practice for boss material thickness on countersunk holes today at work and let you know.

I thought about doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say reach out to DanO and ask if that would cause any structural issues. Seems like those are milled to a pretty specific width and countersinking the holes might push things past a threshold of some sort. Would look clean though!

But the ultralights are milled out more than the flat faced standard ones I have so I know there is room for some material to be removed!

Yep, you can countersink those holes with the exception of the bolt mounting hole - I wouldn't touch that one. We would countersink these but it adds $$ to the price and we're trying to keep the original DoubleSteps as affordable as possible. You'll save more weight by using the ultra lightweight versions instead of countersinking the holes on the standard version.

Yep, you can countersink those holes with the exception of the bolt mounting hole - I wouldn't touch that one. We would countersink these but it adds $$ to the price and we're trying to keep the original DoubleSteps as affordable as possible. You'll save more weight by using the ultra lightweight versions instead of countersinking the holes on the standard version.

Sweet! I’m not that concerned about weight as much as I am making them match the stick a little more closely.

Back